SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seattle will not be out-weirded
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seattle will not be out-weirded Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
https://www.theguardian.com/us...tech-industry-amazon

Seattle's bohemian culture struggles to survive as tech takes over
A solstice festival highlights the city’s history of embracing the weird as Amazon fuels a changing landscape

Levi Pulkkinen in Seattle
Fri 20 Jul 2018 06.00 EDT

Covered in swirled pink paint and clad only in an emerald green thong, Shannon Kringen blended into an essential Seattle summer scene, becoming a nude in a sea of bicycling nudes.

The thousands of naked cyclists gliding through the city’s Fremont neighborhood for the annual Fremont Solstice Festival are of Old Seattle, an aloof, weird place with space for dreamers and their work. Back in 1986, when she was 17 and newly arrived in the city, Kringen was able to make rent serving pizza before becoming a nude model. She hosted an arresting public access television show, “Goddess Kring”, in the 1990s. She danced, talked and sang – often naked.

New Seattle, though, has little space for someone like Kringen, who now needs a housing voucher to afford an apartment. Housing costs have ballooned as tech-sector firms pack workers into downtown and central neighborhoods, like the historically hippy Fremont.

“It seems like it’s gotten a little snooty,” Kringen said. “Like, ‘We are suuuuuper fancy, like the new San Francisco.’”

The irony is that Seattle’s tech industry, which relies on a supply of dynamic, inventive people, also relies, in part, on its hip counterculture.

Seattle’s grunge scene helped draw the first rush of tech entrepreneurs inside the city limits in the 1990s. But a 2017 city analysis found Seattle’s explosive, tech-driven growth threatening to displace the “communities that have added cultural richness to the city”.

To combat that, a proposal to build a city-certified “brain trust” of culturally significant individuals – realtors, urban activists and artists among them – has been floated, as have changes to city code meant to foster creative spaces. Whatever their merits, those efforts don’t amount to much in America’s fastest-growing major city.

The changes have come fast even for boom-bust Seattle. The 30ft hill where Kringen took a seat with other festival-goers – Gas Works Park’s Great Mound – is itself a relic, a sodded-over cone of broken buildings from an early 20th-century coal gasification plant. Beyond the reclaimed park sits Lake Union, a heart-shaped lake contaminated by long-dead industries. Boeing 737s, once the city’s defining export, plow across a blue sky.

But they now increasingly share airspace with chartered Gulfstreams and Cessnas. Across the lake, construction cranes float above the downtown core. Inside the modern – and forgettable – high-rises is Amazon, one of Seattle’s key economic drivers.

Rush-hour buses and Ubers deliver a flood of commuters carrying Amazon-branded backpacks and jackets. The Silicon Valley men’s uniform of a $200 hoodie topping jeans is displacing Seattle’s classic polar fleece.

Richard Florida, an urban studies theorist who last year published The New Urban Crisis, said reasons abounded for the tech sector’s migration from the suburbs into the cities.

Until the late 90s and early 2000s, the new economy was decidedly suburban. Microsoft’s campus in neighboring Redmond – a muddled expanse of mismatched office buildings – was typical.

Tech companies, creative people and affluent people all want to crowd themselves into the same limited number of spaces
But then that began to shift. Two University of Washington researchers, writing for the Brookings Institution in 2000, found that Seattle’s “street scene” appealed to companies, and Fremont was noted for “the ‘coolness factor’ which dot.com businesses crave”.

It was the “coolness” that drew Elissa Fink’s employer, Tableau, to Fremont in 2003 after it launched in Silicon Valley. In 2007, when Fink joined, the data visualization firm had a few dozen employees. It now boasts 3,600, with offices above the Lake Washington Ship Canal on a strip shared with Google, Adobe and Getty Images.

Tableau workers gather on the company deck each June to watch the Solstice Festival revelers. Fink, the company’s chief marketing officer, said the neighborhood’s quirk kept employees fresh.

“It’s inspiring and interesting,” Fink said. “Remembering you are part of a bigger world is a good thing.”

Florida, a professor at the University of Toronto, said in a recent phone interview: “The reality is we have this heightened competition for space. We have all this land and all these suburbs and rural areas, but tech companies, creative people and affluent people all want to crowd themselves into the same limited number of spaces.”

The Seattle indie band Death Cab for Cutie described the crush between the corporate and creative lifestyles in their latest single, Gold Rush:

Outside a bar near the record store
That have been condos for a year and more
And now that our haunts have taken flight
And been replaced with construction sites
Ben Gibbard, the band’s leader, told NPR recently: “Seattle has been transformed into an almost unrecognizable city over the past 15 years with the tech boom, specifically the rise of Amazon and the other carpetbagging tech firms.”

The city is being steadily remade, as well-intentioned glass blocks replace repurposed industrial spaces. A great, green building complete with solar panels and a state-of-the-art rainwater catchment will soon replace most of a block not far from the stretch of tech that includes Tableau. Offices and shiny new retail spaces will replace a marijuana dispensary faced with a psychedelic mural and a neighborhood haunt, Stone Way Café.

The coffee-and-laptop crowd packs the cafe each workday, typing away under artwork by Seattle’s surviving starving artists. The keyboard clacking is replaced most evenings with music from performers with big aspirations and small crowds.

The surrealist painter and comic artist Rhodora Jacob, whose work has hung on Stone Way’s walls, finds a mixed blessing in the boom. The street scene was “more Patagonia and yoga pants nowadays than band shirts and vintage”, and its artists had adapted, Jacob, who uses the pronoun “they”, said. Commercial and fan art sold well, they noted, probably because of “the boom in tech culture and geek-chic lifestyle”.

“I do long for the years pre-Amazonia, but I do still love and appreciate my city,” they said recently. “There’s a lot to love and if you want to create there are many outlets and groups in Seattle that will welcome you with open arms.”

The rapper Draze’s Seattle has fared worse than Gibbard’s. Gentrification had already remade the Central District – long the center of the city’s black universe – by the time dislocation became the talk of white Seattle.

“Once it starts to affect white people, then you have people caring,” Draze said. “When they can’t afford to live, then it becomes a problem.”

Draze lamented the lost black neighborhood in The Hood Ain’t the Same:

What I’ve heard Brooklyn ain’t the same
Harlem ain’t the same
All around the world
I see the same, same, same
Florida, the urban studies expert, said that displacement shadowed in-city growth, in part because wages for service workers remain painfully low. Thus, Florida said, “our cities are becoming one-dimensional by socio-economic class”.

Low-wage workers were pushed out, he continued, while artists, designers and musicians tended to earn just enough to hang on.

That has been Kringen’s experience. Amazon circuitously helps pay her rent; she models for an art school that does events on the corporate campus. She said she enjoys the “cushiness” of it. The streetside shacks and homeless tent cities – the plainest evidence of those left out of Seattle’s boom – sit badly with Kringen. She said she feels lucky her meager income – art modeling doesn’t pay well, even for Amazonians – is low enough that she qualifies for public assistance.

“I guess,” she said, “that’s my survival strategy.”

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Seattle is second to San Francisco, the epicenter of all that is weird.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Have you ever watched Japanese TV? That shit is weird.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
In a way, its the same old story. If a city lasts long enough, one use will displace another, and then itself be displaced by another, until the city itself ceases to be. Rome has been a bandit hideout, an aggregation of huts, a world capital, a desolate wasteland with hobos crashing in the ruins, a global site of pilgrimage, a center of learning and a modern glass 'n' steel tourist trap in its time.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is hip and trendy code for bum infested shithole?

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Have you ever watched Japanese TV? That shit is weird.

As a rule you can change to any subject without a segue by saying, '....meanwhile, in Japan......'

Lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Naked Shannon, you can't un see...
https://goo.gl/images/tDPxSj

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:

Why did I click on that? I need a shot of Bourbon, or a .38 to unsee that.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey, don't leave Portland out! After all, we have an annual naked bicycle ride too!

quote:

Eh, I've seen a lot worse. In local strip clubs, no less.

Posts: 7275 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
We lived in West Seattle for 18 years, beginning in '76. A draw bridge across the Duwamish waterway and train tracks before that kept much of the alternative types in Fremont, Greenwood, U district and Ballard. Some time in the mid 8o's, a migration of butch women and gay men began to add to the already entrenched of this persuasion.

I returned to MT in '95 to reside in the Capitol City, and again we are seeing the migration of the coastal free spirit idiots. Arrrrgggghhh....progressives are like locusts.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Every time someone posts something about Seattle, I thank the good Lord that I no longer live in the Pac NW!

San Fran & Seattle, today's Sodom and Gomorrah!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I only made it about a third of the way through. It’s rife with the bullshit attitude that’s made me want to leave. The entire tone is “we were cool before it was cool to live here, and it was better without you, now it’s just fashionable.” Well, these snooty fucks can have it.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd hit it...NOT. Eek

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15491 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yuh...I don't DARE click on ANY link in this thread for fear I'd have to gouge out my eyes with what I saw. Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Why is it always the people who shouldn't be naked that seem to enjoy being too often birthday suited?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Richard Florida, an urban studies theorist

Good gravy......is that a paid professor at U of Toronto?

The gist of the article is these cultural bums can't afford to live there any longer because hacky sack manufacturing doesn't generate enough dollars to compete with an Amazon's employee's salary. Limited land, limited housing against an increase demand for it........leads to an increase in price!!!! Who would have thought?

This is a feel good piece that want us to feel sad for the unemployed and underemployed.....and at a time with record low employment rates!

P229

Posts: 3848 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
Does Seattle have one of THESE??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2174 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Vicious:
Does Seattle have one of THESE??

This is a true story, I've posted it before, this happened about five years ago:

I was in an elevator of a building in downtown Seattle near Pike's with another male stranger, and at one of the floors, a guy wearing welding gloves, welding goggles, and a trenchcoat walked a bicycle with a basket into the elevator, and turned it around to face the opening door. This was a bit of a scene as it was, since it was long after dark and I didn't know what he needed the welding goggles for, especially since they, and EVERY LAST INCH OF THE RIDER, HIS CLOTHES, AND THE BIKE WERE SPRAY PAINTED SILVER. He looked at both of us, pointedly, nodded at each of us, and produced a small vial from his coat with a dropper top. Not saying a word the entire time, he unscrewed it, put the dropper under his tongue, and squirted the dose. He screwed the bottle together, stowed it, and mounted the bike in perfect timing for the doors to open, and glided smoothly out onto the street level for his night of weirding.

I blinked at a few times and then turned and looked at the other random guy standing next to me. "Am I seeing shit, or did that just happen?" He let out a sigh that said he was relieved from the awkwardness and said "Hey, he's the ok one. The gold guy is a fucking asshole."

Before I could wrap my head around that, he left the elevator, and then the door closed. That was my stop, and I had to go back up and down again because I just couldn't process what the fuck I just saw. I was able to verify that at the time, there was a duo of silver and gold street weirdos in Seattle, trying to run down anything on the web about it now.

The two viable explanations I’ve been able to come up with for the medicine dropper are these, in order:
1) THC or CBN tincture, available in most every weed shop, and medical shops before weed was “legal.”
2) Legit acid.

Probably the first rather than the second, but given the getup and his routine, could have been acid and I wouldn’t rule it out.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I played jazz with a older MD. He made the observation that most people look better fully clothed.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
About 15 years ago, I though about moving to Seattle, we had some really good friends there, seemed like a neat place, away from CA....

Glad we didn't. Friends moved away from that shit anyways to Utah.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post