SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Dog Food Thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Dog Food Thread Login/Join 
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted
But this one is about a specific dog food - anyone here feeding their fur-kid Annamaet dog food? Recommended by a neighbor and it looks good, but wanted more than a one sample opinion...

https://annamaet.com/about/

Also, while on the subject of food - our Maggie, who passed at almost 16 YO, was not food driven. At times we had to enhance her food just to get her to take an interest. Our pup, Mousse, is totally food-driven and therein lies the problem. The question is about transitioning to standard time from DST. Mousse's "stomach-clock" is very accurate and she was fed at 9 AM and 6 PM EDST every day. Now she is still demanding (and she is quite vocal) to be fed at those times, which of course translate to 8 AM and 5 PM. Do we give in to her demands or hang in there and transition her to 9 and 6 EST?

Mousse at 7 months

Thanks for any input.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pizza Bob,

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1454 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't help with the food brand but I have the same issue with time change. I need to adjust by 15 min increments over the course of a couple weeks to get the fur kid to stop bugging me at the wrong time. Their stomachs keep very accurate time.

Posts: 677 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their stomachs keep very accurate time.

Not only that, they have an Atomic Walktime Clock as well. Smile

Posts: 22994 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 575 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I know this doesn't exactly answer your specific question about that brand.
You will get people that say they like or dislike a particular food with little objective evidence to back it up.

You can spend all sorts on money on designer dog food. I've never seen credible evidence that helps.
Some people feed their dog cheap crap food and that can be a problem. You'll usually have various digestive, allergy and other issues in that case that offset any savings. Those brands are often the ones most likely to appear in recalls too.

Somewhere in the middle there are a lot of good brands that aren't terribly pricey and widely available.

The most influence on your dogs health and lifespan are genetics, a good diet and exercise. Much like with humans.

Beyond that it's a lot of good or bad luck.

Posts: 9605 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
When the time zone changes, I split the difference with Clark for a week or so, feeding him at the half hour mark before/after his usual time. That seems all that is necessary for him to adapt without excessive canine drama.

Posts: 6557 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
An objective review:
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com...s/annamaet-dog-food/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4595 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, there’s no shortage of designer dog food. However I do not mind paying more for food that is guaranteed to have no diseased or trash animal parts. You’d be surprised how much of this ends up in dog food. I’m feeding ours Bull Mastiff a brand called Open Farm. Good luck, dog food research is an endless rabbit hole!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7005 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
we believe that paying more for food means paying less for vets.

12-year old Sandy has been on Orijen food for her entire life.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5121 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pup is on his last legs, he is a rescue not sure of his age. At least 10-12

He was having digestive issues.

My vet has us switch to Hills I/D dog food.

We mix 1 1/2 cans a day with about a can of pedigree or Costco canned food.

We used to feed him various premium dry foods with a little can of stuff for the moisture he seemed to like.

The first thing I noticed was that his poop volume dropped a lot.

Much more of his food was being digested instead of pooped out.

His poop is much firmer now, if he seems to be straining, I give him a sweet potato treat from Costco and he is normal for a week or two.

You need a prescription from your vet for this stuff but it really helped my dog.

https://www.chewy.com/hills-pr...d-digestive/dp/54679

YMMV

Posts: 4746 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Unless you want the dog to rule your house you do not “give in”, but perhaps transition by moving feeding times 10 minutes forward (or whatever time increment works for you) until you get to the proper time. Do not feed until you get a moment of silence, even if it takes a quick verbal correction from you (hush!) or a noise from another room that makes her stop.. wait a beat, then praise and offer the food.

So if you usually feed at 9 and it has now become 8, tomorrow feed at 8:10, the next day 8:20, the next day at 8:30, the next day at 8:40 etc until you hit the time frame you want. You can move at a slower pace if you like- maybe 2 days at 8:10… she should get the idea and I completely get having a food driven dog.
I have one that’s the same way and it is definitely a challenge - however if I work or have to leave, he’s just not getting fed til I get home. A healthy dog can easily tolerate missing a meal, so yours can tolerate waiting an extra hour. That being said I really hate daylight savings time, and the clock switching bs.
Hope this helps.
Best of luck.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5380 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post