SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grammatically correct verbiage that just sounds wrong…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grammatically correct verbiage that just sounds wrong… Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Have y’all noticed that all of a sudden (in the media at least) people in America are starting to fall ill or fall pregnant instead of getting sick or getting pregnant?

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
Except for the part when ‘anymore’ is used when they mean ‘any more.’

We don’t shoot that ammo much any more. Not we don’t shoot that ammo much anymore.

My personal huge pet peeve is ‘I could of done that.’

Well, no you couldn’t, because there is no such thing as ‘could of.’ There is could have or could’ve, but not could of. Or would of or should of.

Don’t get me started on your or you’re, its or it’s, etc.
I read this in a lot of posts here. Should of or could of. Yes, should or could have. Never point it out due to having my own issues spelling.. Big Grin. Kinda red necky.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I blame the English. Just enough Britishisms creep into popular culture to occasionally throw people out of whack.

In the UK, you stand on line (or are queuing or whatever). In the US, you stand in line unless you're in prison or the military, in which case you stand on the line.

In the UK, Metallica are coming (it's a group of individuals, right?). In the US, Metallica is coming (it's a single, particular group of people).

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I blame the English. Just enough Britishisms creep into popular culture to occasionally throw people out of whack.

In the UK, you stand on line (or are queuing or whatever). In the US, you stand in line unless you're in prison or the military, in which case you stand on the line.
he
In the UK, Metallica are coming (it's a group of individuals, right?). In the US, Metallica is coming (it's a single, particular group of people).

I wonder if the Brits would say "The Herd are coming"? Or, "The Who are coming to town"?

I would say the herd is coming, and The Who is coming, but The Rolling Stones are coming. Spitting hairs.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:
Pedantic point of order! Smile

According to:

https://www.lexico.com/grammar...es-with-prepositions

Which apparently is connected to a small University in England called Oxford...

There’s no necessity to ban prepositions from the end of sentences. Ending a sentence with a preposition is a perfectly natural part of the structure of modern English.

Learn more about prepositions, their relationship with other elements, and other grammar tips on thesaurus.com.

And Webster...

https://www.merriam-webster.co...ding-a-sentence-with

And others...

You may end a sentence with a preposition.

Here endeth the pedantry.

Best,

Jake
BS Engineering
Sometimes just BS

Indeed. As a Germanic language, prepositions at the end of English sentences is entirely expected. By way of comparison, German has "separable-prefix verbs" wherein the prepositional prefix of a verb is broken off and stood at the end of a sentence (unless the whole verb is moved to the end because of a modal). For example: "Kommst du mit?" rather than "Mitkommst du?" We can do the exact same thing in English: "You coming with?" That's a very colloquial English example, of course.

The whole idea of the incorrectness of ending a sentence with a prefix is a product of style manuals, not actual descriptive grammar.

Same thing with split infinitives, which are 100% fine in English. The stylists (e.g. Strunk and White) were working off a Latinate model where, indeed, an infinitive can't be split, since it's a bound morpheme attached to a verbal lexeme, rather than a collocation of a preposition and a verbal lexeme. Of course, English isn't a Latin language, so many of these style choices are moot. The "don't end a sentence with a preposition" also comes from incorrect comparison to Latin.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:
Pedantic point of order! Smile

According to:

Which apparently is connected to a small University in England called Oxford...

There’s no necessity to ban prepositions from the end of sentences. Ending a sentence with a preposition is a perfectly natural part of the structure of modern English.

Learn more about prepositions, their relationship with other elements, and other grammar tips on thesaurus.com.

And Webster...

https://www.merriam-webster.co...ding-a-sentence-with

And others...

You may end a sentence with a preposition.

Here endeth the pedantry.

Best,

Jake
BS Engineering
Sometimes just BS

Indeed. As a Germanic language, prepositions at the end of English sentences is entirely expected. By way of comparison, German has "separable-prefix verbs" wherein the prepositional prefix of a verb is broken off and stood at the end of a sentence (unless the whole verb is moved to the end because of a modal). For example: "Kommst du mit?" rather than "Mitkommst du?" We can do the exact same thing in English: "You coming with?" That's a very colloquial English example, of course.

The whole idea of the incorrectness of ending a sentence with a prefix is a product of style manuals, not actual descriptive grammar.

Same thing with split infinitives, which are 100% fine in English. The stylists (e.g. Strunk and White) were working off a Latinate model where, indeed, an infinitive can't be split, since it's a bound morpheme attached to a verbal lexeme, rather than a collocation of a preposition and a verbal lexeme. Of course, English isn't a Latin language, so many of these style choices are moot. The "don't end a sentence with a preposition" also comes from incorrect comparison to Latin.

Eek Thank you, I think.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Going by the thread title, interrogative pronouns used objectively. If you ask, "You shot whom?" it sounds overly punctilious if not downright ungrammatical, but it is correct. Most people would say, "You shot who?"

People frequently mix up who and whom and I and me.

So few ppl know how to use whom correctly that it's safer to stick to who. Instead, when I see whom used incorrectly, it comes off as pretentious. E.g.,

"You may hand them out to whomever asks for one."
Sorry, no, it should be whoever in that case. No one will ever criticize you for using who in place of whom, unless you work for the Oxford University Press.

Good grammar instruction has fallen by the wayside in grade schools. Most people don't understand the difference between direct & indirect objects. It gets tricky when using am/are/is.

"Tell Cersei I want her to know it was me," should be, "...I want her to know it was I."

Yes, it sounds stilted & awkward, but I is the correct pronoun in that case.

"Whom are you going to call? Ghostbusters!" is also grammatically correct but painful to hear.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Throw me down the stairs my hat. Big Grin

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2411 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
One regionalism that has always bothered me is dropping the "to be" from an expression like "the car needs to be washed." The first time I heard this out of my Pittsburgh PA-born wife I thought "how ignorant is that?" I now realize that there are a whole regional community of people who know no other way, but it still sounds backwoods to me.

"The car needs washed." Seriously, people say this?
From approximately Altoona to approximately Youngstown, you'll find no "to be" before a past participle. I'm sure including it sounds peculiar to them, like the speaker is putting on airs. Of course some will use the gerund rather than the past participle, e.g. "the house needs painting." That sounds vaguely wrong to me as well, but not nearly as bad as the Western PA formulation.

quote:
Throw me down the stairs my hat.
Ha! Freshman year at U. of Mich., sitting around the TV room at the dorm., One guy says to another "hey, I gotta split, throw me over my coat." The second guy, sure enough, picks up the first guy, and throws him over the couch on which his coat rested. He landed quite hard square on his butt. Most of the guys didn't get why until it was explained to them.

Posts: 6489 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Is this grammatically correct?

6 cities that nearly landed an MLB team

https://www.mlb.com/news/citie...most-had-an-mlb-team

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

One regionalism that has always bothered me is dropping the "to be" from an expression like "the car needs to be washed." The first time I heard this out of my Pittsburgh PA-born wife I thought "how ignorant is that?" I now realize that there are a whole regional community of people who know no other way, but it still sounds backwoods to me.

I'm fairly certain that came out of the large majority of the original settlers there being from Ireland and Scotland, I recall reading how "yinz" (another western PA oddity) came from the Irish and Scots:

quote:

Yinz is the most recent derivation from the original Scots-Irish form you ones or "yous ones", a form of the second person plural commonly heard in parts of Ulster. When standard-English speakers talk in the first person or third person, they use different pronouns to distinguish between singular and plural. In the first person, for example, speakers use the singular I and the plural we. But when speaking in the second person, you performs double duty as both the singular form and the plural form. Crozier (1984) suggests that during the 19th century, when many Irish speakers switched to speaking English, they filled this gap with you ones, primarily because Irish has a singular second-person pronoun, tú, as well as a plural form, sibh. The following, therefore, is the most likely path from you ones to yinz: you ones [juː wʌnz] > you'uns [juːʌnz] > youns [juːnz] > yunz [jʌnz] > yinz [jɪ̈nz]. Because there are still speakers who use each form,[2] there is no stable second-person plural pronoun form in southwest or central Pennsylvania, which is why the pronoun is variably referred to or spelled as you'uns, y'ins, y'uns, yunz, yuns, yinz, yenz, yins or ynz.

Link

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Here in the intermountain west, many people use past-perfect verbs when past-simple is appropriate.

"I seen it, I seen the whole thing."

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Here in the intermountain west, many people use past-perfect verbs when past-simple is appropriate.

"I seen it, I seen the whole thing."
Visitor on his first business trip to Boston, wanting to taste some of the fish that the area is known for, gets into a cab and asks the driver to take him someplace to get scrod.

Cab driver, a Harvard drop-out, says, "I have had that request numerous times, but never before in the past pluperfect subjunctive."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

I say yes. It's the title of an article so I think it's ok to be a fragment. My English teacher in high school said you shouldn't start a sentence with a numeral--that the number should be written out. Seems right, but again, in the title of an article, it seems ok.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Strictly speaking, as mentioned, "6" should have been written out "Six", and most of the remaining words should have been capitalized as the title of an article.

However, I think this is also an example of faulty parallelism. 6 cities (plural) are mentioned, but only one team (singular). Were all cities trying to get the exact same team?

Maybe the author meant "Six Cities that Nearly Landed MLB Teams"?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16367 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
A Texan went to Harvard. Not familiar with the layout, so he asked another Harvard dude, "Say, can y'all tell me where the library's at?"

Other Harvard dude replied, "My good man, at this university, we do not end a sentence with a preposition!"

Texan: "OK, where's it at, asshole?"

i've heard that joke before but it's still funny, it brought a smile to my face.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19678 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

i've heard that joke before but it's still funny, it brought a smile to my face.
Joke? Darn, I thought it was a true story.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I believe that distinct people-groups, which exist within and across every nation, choose to mimic each other with distinct and "improper" words and grammar to ensure inclusion within the group.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post