SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do With Old Brass?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do With Old Brass? Login/Join 
Duck Doctor
Picture of reconair
posted
I've started to amass brass left over from target practice. Mostly .40, some .308, .380, and .223 and other odds. Hate to throw it away. Especially, since there are re-loaders and ammo is in short supply. It's all in one big bucket and I not sorting it out.

US Army, Retired
NRA Golden Eagle Life Member

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’

— Patrick Henry

Posts: 576 | Location: Near Lake Anna, Virginia | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Sell it on gun boards to reloaders.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better luck selling it locally on facebook or craigslist. With it not bring sorted your probably going to have to sell for a lower price since the buyer doesnt know exactly know what they are getting.

Posts: 5423 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local gun range used to buy it from private individuals. Unsorted sold by weight.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Great karma! I’m in!! Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
If you want to sell it... you'll probably want to sort it. If you don't want to sort it... and you're not looking to get paid, plenty of people will take it off your hands. Ask at your local range.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Call a local recycling center and see what they are paying per pound on brass. Weigh your brass. Decide if it is worth the hassle of driving it to the recycling center. Use that price as a floor for what you might accept from local reloaders.

Depending on how full the bucket is, it may or may not be worth dealing with the recycle center, let alone reloaders who may or may not want to whine about how much of this caliber versus that caliber.

If you have space and buckets, you can sort the brass as you pick it up. That’s what we do, have a bucket for each caliber we shoot, plus one for junk brass and one for aluminum cases.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ll take it, no sorting required, box it up and send it in one of those priority boxes at the post office.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ask around at the range...I'm sure you can find somebody to take it off your hands. As a reloader, I'll take any brass I can get!

Posts: 8595 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Looks like mixed brass could be worth 80 cents to $1 per pound at scrap yards. https://www.metalary.com/scrap-metal-prices/

That'd be the easiest, most likely - Google search 'brass recycling' and your town's name, and there should be a couple of starting points for a quick call.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MikeinNC - sent you an email

Posts: 775 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
See if you have a company that does reloading as a business near where you live.
If there is a local company see if they are interested in buying it unsorted.
Ask how much before you visit them, how much a pound they might pay you to see if it is worth the trip.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little bit internet sleuthing, current price for scrap brass is $1.84 per pound. Monthly high was 2.22 and low was 1.21 per pound. That will give you a starting price for 'bucket of empties'. The caliber's listed are all popular ones, so I would hazard a guess you'll find some buyers. Flip side is the shopping cost may or may not negate the price as those prices are likely at the recycling center.

Posts: 782 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
MikeinNC - sent you an email

This place is the best!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Looks like mixed brass could be worth 80 cents to $1 per pound at scrap yards. https://www.metalary.com/scrap-metal-prices/

That'd be the easiest, most likely - Google search 'brass recycling' and your town's name, and there should be a couple of starting points for a quick call.

A lot of recycling centers are leery of brass from expended ammo since they might get a few that still have primers and/or bullets in them. Some will, but some won't.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Capital Cartridge still buys brass.

https://www.capitalcartridge.c...ss-casings-s/106.htm

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some recyclers have equipment that basically “cook” the brass. These are metal belt conveyors that safely fire live cartridges before they try to melt the scrap brass. It involves an armored oven with the belt going through it. If memory serves, the one I saw was good up to 50BMG.

All of the stuff we know as “brass” go through the “Popper” before further processing.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I sold a couple of five-gallon buckets of brass to a recycler once. You could also sort it, bag it and sell it at a gun show to someone who reloads.

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I'll take what Mike doesn't. Although I'm mostly looking for 223, .44 &9mm.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Great karma! I’m in!! Big Grin

Ditto that thought! Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post