SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cutting aluminum with a miter saw?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting aluminum with a miter saw? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
I have two pieces of appx 1/4-1/2" thick and about 12" wide aluminum that I have to do a straight cut on. Is it possible to do this with a metal cutting blade in a miter saw? The cut needs to be perfectly straight so I figured this would be the best bet.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I don't see a problem with it, as long as the blade is designed to cut nonferrous metals. The same blade on a table saw should also work fine.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
You'll want a pretty strong saw and the right blade. I cut a whole lot of aluminum on a mid-size mitre saw and found the motor lacking. The whole thing would warp a little askew, but I managed to get my assemblages completed (display frames for a convention).

I do remember wanting compressed air to blow metal shavings out of the saw.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I should note too that this will be a one time project.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I do it all the time with my Makita sliding chop saw just a standard 60 or 80 tooth atb works fine, just hang on or clamp it down and go slow. I have been a cabinetmaker for 32 years so I have cut a few pieces.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
XLT has it right - just use a standard ATB blade with carbide teeth and you can cut aluminum all day long. Of course, instead of sawdust, you end up with shiny metal chips everywhere!

Posts: 1221 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Earplugs and gloves will be your friend!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miter saws usually run at a much higher rpm than a chop saw and can cause a regular metal cutting fiber blade to wobble and make it hard to get a straight cut. I've jut turned a regular carbide tip wood blade backward and used it to cut aluminum many times

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SummersAtTheLake,

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As XLT said, clamp it well. Aluminum is not forgiving like wood is. You can spray the blade with WD40 before and during cutting, this helps a lot.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a welder who welds aluminum all day and we use a regular delta contractor's table saw to cut aluminum all day long, our miter saws are commercial machines but they were built for cutting wood. Just put a good blade on it

Posts: 3390 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I do it all the time with my Makita sliding chop saw just a standard 60 or 80 tooth atb works fine, just hang on or clamp it down and go slow. I have been a cabinetmaker for 32 years so I have cut a few pieces.

I have been an accountant for 40 years. But I have made most of the furniture/cabinets in our house, mostly of oak, walnut, maple. (And I still have all of my fingers, albeit with too many evidences of violating rule #1, don't touch the blade when it is moving)

First of all, I hate you (as I don't have a Makita sliding chop saw). Smile

I would bet you are somewhat above the average cabinetmaker. Please tell me you don't specialize in particle board cabinets. Smile And I would also bet your finished product is much prettier than my financial statements/analysis.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
I've jut turned a regular carbide tip wood blade backward and used it to cut aluminum many times
This was the trick my contractor father-in-law taught me.
With the blade running backward, it doesn't dig in too much and makes a nice cut.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16632 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

And eye protection!

Posts: 1726 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
quote:

And eye protection!

This times 100x.

Saw dust is annoying.

Aluminum flakes are vision ending.

Posts: 1081 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

ALSO WEAR A RESPIRATOR, aluminum dust is very deadly if you breathe in enough of it.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the advice guys. I'll definitely wear sealing eye protection as well as ear and respiratory protection.