SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Euphemisms for Grandparents
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Euphemisms for Grandparents Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
My wife and I have one grandchild, and a second coming in March. It never occurred to us to be anything other than grandpa and grandma to our granddaughter, but we’ve noticed that we seem to be the exception, rather than the rule. I swear sometimes it seems everyone else is “paw-paw,” “papa,” “memaw,” “nana,” and a dozen other euphemisms for grandma and grandpa.

Question:
Parent or a grandparent. Do the kids refer to your parents (if they’re your kids) as something other than grandpa and grandma? Do your grandkids call you something else?

If something else, share it if you like.

Choices:
The kids say “grandpa” and “grandma”
The kids call us (them) something else

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Memaw and Papa.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Two of my grandparents died before I was born.

My grandmother was grandma, and my grandfather was Papa.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
My young children referred to me as Daddy, which changed to Dad as they aged.
Their children (my grandchildren) call me Poppy, which (I assume) will change to Pop when they get older.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7121 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kids call my parents Papa and grandma. They call my wife’s parents grandma and grandpa. We asked them what they wanted to be called when the 1st was born and that’s what they wanted to be called.

I called my grandparents grandma and papa and for a while until I was about 10 my great grandma we called nana.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My grandkids (five of them so far) call me Grumpy.

My wife is called Snow White

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
My young children referred to me as Daddy, which changed to Dad as they aged.
Their children (my grandchildren) call me Poppy, which (I assume) will change to Pop when they get older.

My son, currently 26(ish?) called me daddy when growing up to this day will let it slip in front of his wife and/or in-laws.

What is strange is my father also called and referred to my grandfather as "daddy: for as long as I can remember. My dad passed away before my son could meet him. One time, when at deer camp, my son called me "daddy" and his peers (15 - 18 year olds) gave him a strange look. Then I told my son's peers about my dad (which was the first time my son found out). They backed off and my son slipped me a sly smile. Smile

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Grammy & Grampus on my side, Grammy & Grampy on my wife's side. I am Papa to our kids, we decided on that instead of Dad/Daddy, and I really like it much better.

Posts: 1735 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My paternal grandparents were "Grandpa" and "Grandma"; my maternal grandparents were "Gran" and "Grandad". I never married.

I called my parents "Daddy" and "Mother" all through my life. At some point late in life I shortened "Daddy" to just "Dad".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
For me it was Nanny and Grampy on one side, Grandma and Pap (Pop-Pop when we were younger) on the other.

My wife had Mémère and Pépère on one, and Grammy on the other (her grandfather passed before she was born).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
For my gen and my kids alike it seems to be whatever the kids can pronounce and say at their youngest sticks, usually to the delight of said grandparents.

For my brothers and I it was granddaddy and grandmommy on one side, grampa guad and nanny on the other. For my kids it was Aba and pop-pop, and grammy and grampa.

It seems that unless one is raised in a strict Victorian household with rigid rules about such things, whatever sticks, stays.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but euphemism is not an appropriate word in this context. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/euphemism

With that out of the way, my family says "grandma" and "grandpa." Since moving to the South, I hear "meemaw" and "pawpaw" used a lot. Smile

Posts: 28008 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but euphemism is not an appropriate word in this context. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/euphemism

With that out of the way, my family says "grandma" and "grandpa." Since moving to the South, I hear "meemaw" and "pawpaw" used a lot. Smile

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Never had kids, but I called my grandparents “Nanny and Pa”, and “Grandmommy and Grandpa”. Mom and Dad were, well, Mom and Dad.
quote:

Posts: 26945 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Grandkids call us some version of Grandma and Grandpa - usually Gram and Gramps or Grampy.

Great-grands call us Nana and Papa to avoid confusion.

I suspect there are times when the grandkids (all well out of their teens) call us some other things... Eek We tend not to be overly sympathetic when they are suffering the consequences of their own stupid choices.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I am “Pops” to my grandkids. My wife is “CiCi” to them (a play on her name).

One of my grandmothers growing up was known as “Grandy.” The other I actually called “Grandmother,” no cutesy name. The one grandfather I had while growing up was “Grandfather.”

My kids had “Grandpapa and Mimi” on one side and “Papa and Maga” on the other. Yep - Maga. That’s how our oldest first attempted to pronounce “Grandma,” and it stuck. It threw me for a moment when the MAGA acronym first popped into popular use in the last Presidential election ha-ha! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6695 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
"Mom-mom" and "Pop-pop"

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Maternal grandparents were Babcia & Dziadzi. Paternal grandparents were Grampa and Gramma.

My Mom is Nana and my Dad is GrandPops to my kids. My wife's are Grandma and Grandpa. So no confusion.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My wife and I have one grandchild, and a second coming in March. It never occurred to us to be anything other than grandpa and grandma to our granddaughter, but we’ve noticed that we seem to be the exception, rather than the rule. I swear sometimes it seems everyone else is “paw-paw,” “papa,” “memaw,” “nana,” and a dozen other euphemisms for grandma and grandpa.

My lone step-grandchild currently has:

2 grandfathers
2 grandmothers
2 step-grandfathers
1 step-grandmother
4 great-grandmothers
3 great-grandfathers
and something like 6 or 7 other great-grandparents from their step-grandparents.

...We can't all just be "grandma and grandpa". Hence all the various names. Wink

My wife and I (paternal grandmother and step-grandfather) are Nana and Pawpaw.

Besides helping keep track of all the various convoluted grandparents, I've found it's also a vanity thing (mostly among women). I've heard more than one person say something like "Oh, I'm way too young to be 'Grandma'... I wanna be called Gigi" or the like.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Grandfather.
Grandmother.

Then I always called my father "Father." Mother preferred "Mom" unless we were in front of others and then it was "Mother."

All my grandparents were dead when I was born, save my maternal grandmother, who I think I met two or three times. She died a month or so after we came back from Africa.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post