SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How can they pump concrete?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can they pump concrete? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
A new high rise building is being constructed near my home. Yesterday I saw a large concrete slab being formed. A large mobile machine had long boom with four hinged segments, about 40’ long in total, carrying a 3 or 4 inch flexible tube.

Concrete mix trucks backed up to it and dumped concrete to it via a metal chute. Then, somehow, the concrete was pumped through the flexible tube and discharged to the slab area.

But how the heck can concrete, with gravel in it, I assume, be pumped? At mid span the hinged boom was about 10’ high. Maybe an impeller type pump?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Piston pumps.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
There is a cool animation of a concrete pump on this UK webpage.

http://www.schwing-stetter.co....PumpingOverview.aspx

Basically, it is a powerful pump that pumps a non-solid material like many pumps. A vacuum is a pump of sorts, and moves solids. Most of the pumps I come into contact with establish suction through a spinning impeller.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
With a lot of horse power.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
What I got out of this thread:

Q: How can they pump concrete?

A: With a concrete pump.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they are building a new bridge across the Mississippi river , here,
you should see the booms those pumps have !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

Basically, it is a powerful pump that pumps a non-solid material like many pumps. A vacuum is a pump of sorts, and moves solids. Most of the pumps I come into contact with establish suction through a spinning impeller.

Vacuum pumps won't do this job. It is well beyond their limit. Impeller-type pumps PUSH the concrete. There is no such thing as "suction"; just difference in air pressures.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Super P is an additive, super plasticizer adds work ability to concrete, also most pump mixes are small pea gravel sized aggregates.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Wow, a concrete thread in which anyone is yet to call it "cement".

There IS a difference. Razz

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have help pore enough concrete to know I'd rather be doing something else.

Out biggest pours were a pair of slabs for a grocery store we built in 1974. 60 feet wide and 160 feet long, each. The basement slab was no problem, the truck could just back in... for the suspended upper level floor it was all trucked in via wheelbarrows. Sure could have used one of those pumps but we got-'er-dun.

So now a Sigforum post is responsible for sending me down yet another Youtube rabbit hole... Big Grin.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use to drive a concrete truck part time to pay the kids tuition. The most important thing with these pumpers is to not let the hopper go dry. We used to back up after waiting in line, lower the chute and dump the load as fast as you can. We usually had two trucks at the hopper so one was constantly filling the hopper up.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Indeed, there were two trucks at the hopper.

It sounds as though an impeller was the pump type. Thanks guys.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Schwing!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

Vacuum pumps won't do this job. It is well beyond their limit. Impeller-type pumps PUSH the concrete. There is no such thing as "suction"; just difference in air pressures.
Exactly. A "suction" pump cannot achieve more than 14.7 psi pressure, even at ground level, because that is atmospheric pressure there. A "pressure" pump can exert whatever pressure it was designed for, even thousands of psi if that is called for.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PISTON pumps. As in a piston in a cylinder, moving back and forth. The Schwing illustration has two cylinders, alternating strokes, powered by hydraulic cylinders. It appears the hopper gravity feeds the cylinders.

As heavy as concrete is, any other pump would likely not be enough. Higher speed impellers would be useless, pistons push the thick liquid up the pipe, then in the next stroke more concrete is pushed up behind the first.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
What I got out of this thread:

Q: How can they pump concrete?

A: With a concrete pump.

CUT: “Smarter than the average bear”

Hm…

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
They don't just use these pumps on big projects. They're building a 2200 sq ft home beside mine and they used a crane and pump to pour the footings. No more wheelbarrows picking it up from the truck and being rolled to where they need it.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
What's most interesting to me is how these pumps have a "swing pipe" that alternates between two parallel pistons. Im assuming this is to manage the large aggregate found in concrete, check valves would not be appropriate in this instance.

I'm somewhat familiar with frac/cement pumps. They are essentially beefed up power washing pumps that handle water/Slurry. Their valves and packings get changed regualry since they handle so much abrasive material. A group of 16 of those pumps can move 3000 gallons of sand laced water per minute at 10k psi without much trouble.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Right. Piston pumps.

What fascinated me once was watching concrete being pumped in temperature well below freezing during a snowstorm at Lake Louise. Hard to see from the hotel, snowing so hard. Looked like the column forms were wrapped in thermal blankets. The workers didn't bat an eye; poured forms all day.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked at a commercial food processing plant and we used very similar pumps, albeit much shorter stroke, to pump cake frosting. They are very powerful and driven by hydraulic cylinders. Obviously the seals etc. were of food grade materials. They were much higher maintenance than the other gear type pumps we used but did not damage the particulates (nuts or candy chips) in the base frosting.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post