SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Idea/suggestion for a trip to Redwood National Park
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idea/suggestion for a trip to Redwood National Park Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thank you!

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
^^^^
Thank you!
You're welcome. Can I do anything else for you? My maps have a lot more details than what has been shown here. Unfortunately, I can't just send the map files to you because you'd have to have Streets & Trips installed to view them. The tool is no longer offered by Microsoft and I'm worried that when I go to my new computer (Windows 11) I won't be able to migrate over to it. I have not found any other tool that is as easy to use and as helpful. It even has the ability to accept GPS data and plot a travel, even give driving instructions. (Yes, I know there are navigation aids available, but a 17" screen is a lot easier to read.)

Let me know if there are any specific places you'd like to have added to the maps.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Just for grins, I added Area 51 (Groom Lake) and Area 52 (Dugway) to my version of one of the maps. Dugway might be doable, but Area 51 is too far afield.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
^^^^
Thank you!
You're welcome. Can I do anything else for you? My maps have a lot more details than what has been shown here. Unfortunately, I can't just send the map files to you because you'd have to have Streets & Trips installed to view them. The tool is no longer offered by Microsoft and I'm worried that when I go to my new computer (Windows 11) I won't be able to migrate over to it. I have not found any other tool that is as easy to use and as helpful. It even has the ability to accept GPS data and plot a travel, even give driving instructions. (Yes, I know there are navigation aids available, but a 17" screen is a lot easier to read.)

Let me know if there are any specific places you'd like to have added to the maps.

flashguy

I've got screen shots and I think I'm good. Very kind of you to volunteer. Thank you.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If the intent is to go hiking and camping and the redwoods is one place to do it, perfect. If the intent is to see redwoods, then for me, 1 day is enough. And I would consider this a stop along point rather than an end destination - visit while en route to a destination rather than have it be the destination itself.

This is a fair and valid point... some wouldn't gain any real additional value in staying more than a single morning. If you just want to quickly experience the big trees you can do it very simply and quickly.

In the northern end of the park the Big Tree Wayside is a 3 minute stroll on a paved path from a parking area directly connected to the Newton B Drury Scenic Parkway. The tree itself is one of the giants at almost 300 feet and 1500+ years old, and it is the kick off point for the Circle Trail, which took maybe 20 minutes with small kids. A very quick and easy hike that really gives you sense of the redwood giants. Honestly, from the ground floor a 250 and a 300 foot tree are pretty similar.

Personally, I find being in the midst of trees like that, whether in Calaveras Big Trees or the Redwood Forests up and down the central and northern coasts to be an incredibly humbling and awe-inspiring experience. It helps put life in perspective. In my experience, I didn't need a long time there to come to that point/mood. I didn't feel cheated with our relatively short trip there, but on the other hand, I wouldn't mind a couple days to really marinate in it.

In the south side of the park we did the Trillium Falls hike. It was more strenuous than the Circle Trail, but it wasn't hard. Any normally mobile person would be fine. It was a very peaceful and beautiful trail.

We had a picnic lunch at the Klamath River Overlook. It was a great choice. Check out pictures online. It honestly was just about the perfect place to stop for a bite (bring your own, not much around there) and enjoy the view of the ocean and beach and redwoods from a cliffside table.

Posts: 6372 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post