SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Here's one for the collectors of Colt SAAs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's one for the collectors of Colt SAAs Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This is a clip from an obscure 1919 film- Traps and Tangles. Look closely at the Colt Single Action at the beginning of the clip. Is that or is that not a "long flute" cylinder?

The time period is correct. Colt offered 1379 long flute Colts beginning in 1913. The release date of this film was 1/20/1919, so it likely was filmed near the end of 1918.

There is an optical illusion at the 12 second mark of the clip, making the trigger guard of the pistol appears much too large, which initially lead me to believe the pistol is a prop, but it is an optical illusion (at the 10 second mark, you can see that the true size of the trigger guard), and the actor spins the cylinder on the pistol.

For the film buffs- this is a Larry Sermon comedy released by Vitagraph, most likely filmed in Brooklyn, NY.

What do you think? The film quality is poor, unfortunately

For the unitiated, here's a Long Flute Colt SAA.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
It sure looks to me like the flutes go back further than standard. I would say yes it is a "long flute" cylinder.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3924 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looking at it again, it may be an 1878 DA Colt, which is where those cylinders came from, but one way or the other, it's a long flute cylinder. The back of the pistol sure looks like an SAA to me. The 1878 has a different shape to the area behind the cylinder.

posted Hide Post
I have never seen a long fluted cylinder on a SSA pistol. First time for everything I guess.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I have never seen a long fluted cylinder on a SSA pistol. First time for everything I guess.

If you believe 'em, here's one on armslist:
Link

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I was thinking a Thunderer with the barrel out past the ejector a bit.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Might be a Thunderer, yeah.

Probably is

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've had this one for years. Redone by Colt in the 1950s.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
At the 12 second mark, the rounded trigger guard has it being a Thunderer.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I thought it was an optical illusion, because just a couple of seconds earlier, the trigger guard looked like an SAA, but it's gonna be a Thunderer.

Too bad. It would have been really neat to spot a long flute SAA in an old film.

Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
In the shot of the villains sliding down the chute, the background doesn’t look like anything I think of when I picture Brooklyn. Even back in 1918 I don’t think there were mountains or hills like that in NYC.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Then, they would have filmed it in New Jersey. In and around Fort Lee was the movie production hub of the country before Hollywood.

I suggested Brooklyn because that's where the film company's offices were located and most of the action/Western films were filmed in the New Jersey Palisades.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why does everyone look white as a ghost in these old films? Did they have to wear a lot of makeup?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In the case of the clip in this thread, it's been copied many times, making it high contrast and cutting out much of the mid-tones.

Yes, actors in early films did frequently wear pancake makeup to lighten their faces. Part of the reason for this was due to the habits of actors who lightened their features for the stage, and this carried over to early film production, but there are technical reasons for this appearance as well. Early film stock was orthochromatic, which is sensitive to only certain parts of the visible light spectrum. Around the beginning of the first World War, panchromatic film was introduced, which is sensitive to the full spectrum of visible light.