SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Primer availability
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer availability Login/Join 
posted
I haven’t reloaded in quite some time and this past weekend I discovered that large rifle primers are the only primers I can’t find. Any idea why it’s only large rifle primers only?

Posts: 1178 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Been like that for a couple years now.
As to why I have no idea.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Army is getting a new cartridge,6.8 something. It uses a LRP. That's my bet as to where they are going.

Posts: 97 | Registered: September 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
The Army generally makes their own primers.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Army doesn't make anything, they buy things.

posted Hide Post
400m - There is a free website called - Ammoseek.com that I use when I am looking for primers or unique ammo (subsonic 300 B/O).

When you go to the site in the middle of the page you will see “Reloading”. Click that link and it will provide you with filter options. Once you get the results you want pay close attention to the listed sellers. Some sellers I do not buy from because I do not recognize their name or have never bought from.

You may see Bass Pro, Powder Valley, Graff’s, MidSouth, Natchez, Brownell’s, etc. which are the ones I usually buy from….

Posts: 3346 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Been like that for a couple years now.
As to why I have no idea.

I saw a story not too long ago that suggested that the issue with the powder shortage was that we've outsourced most of the powder production to China. I wonder if this is not the same story. Perhaps either the production of components or the primers themselves are now done in China.

Posts: 20607 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gojoe:
No, not true. I have been to Lake City AAP and watched them make their own primers.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Powder Valley has been the only place around that does get LRP’s in on a half way regular basis. They just had some in from a new company in Arkansas. White River something or other. Three of us old rifle shooters at my club bought a brick to experiment with. They were getting in Ginex Unis LRP’s from Bosnia for a while. Great primers. Winchester, CCI, Federal, and Remington LRP’s have not been seen in a while. Small pistol and rifle primers are all over the place.

Posts: 4137 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by gojoe:
No, not true. I have been to Lake City AAP and watched them make their own primers.

6.8x51 is not yet being made by LCAAP. The demand must be huge and if that need is to be met in time for the rifle roll out and national security needs, LRP are not going to be available in any large amount to reloaders.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Actually Lake City is not the Army. It is which ever company has the current contract, It is currently Federal I believe.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I saw CCI 34 available at Powder Valley yesterday. Gone today. If you are/can swing by Denver, I'll sell 1k

Posts: 4099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Actually Lake City is not the Army. It is which ever company has the current contract, It is currently Federal I believe.
No, it is Winchester. It's typically a 10 year contract.

LCAAP is a GOCO plant - Government-owned, contractor operated. The Army/DoD "own" it. It 'is' the Army. It has an Army staff on-site that oversees it's operation thru the Joint Munitions Command. It is funded thru DoD/Army (and other Service) appropriations. Winchester is simply contracted to make the ammunition, et. al., using government equipment on government land.

Funding for the new ammunition production facility at Lake city has been appropriated and the contract to build the facility awarded on March 5, 2024.

LCAAP has been making primers for 5.56, 7.62, and .50 cal ammo for decades.

I have no idea what the fielding plan is for the NexGen Weapons, you certainty don't get 100,000 rifles overnight. Weapons and ammo field together, hopefully. Look in the PAA budget documents if you want for ammo production numbers. I don't think Winchester (who received the contract from the Army for the 6.8 ammo) is buying up primers from Remington, Nosler, Federal, Black Hills, Hornady, etc.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I should have remembered that because Winchester was told they couldn't sell any surplus 5.56 on the civilian market.

My apologies.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only is primer availability an issue for the last four to five years, the cost has skyrocketed. Just 4-5 years ago primers ( plenty in stock at multiple local shops) were about $30 per thousand. Now they are about $90

Posts: 3384 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post