SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many guns can I sell before I need my own FFL?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many guns can I sell before I need my own FFL? Login/Join 
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Firearm sales between residents are allowed here in NH.

Many years ago there was a guy who used to get a table at the local gunshows when the promoter ran 6 a year - 2 each in 3 different venues. Had mostly parts and ammo but there'd always be half a dozen handguns/long guns. Always fairly priced. Always checked ID to make sure buyer was a resident. Always sold them. The next show it would be a different half dozen.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3633 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The ATF is on the lookout for multiple handguns purchased at the same time. Form 3310.4 is sent to the ATF if you buy 2 or more handguns on the same day or within 5 days of the last purchase.
Sales of multiple rifles apply to Arizona, Calf, New Mexico and Texas. Form 3310.12 This applies to semiauto rifles, caliber > 22, rifles with detachable mag.
This is direct from the ATF website:The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 requires federal firearms licensees (FFLs) to send a report to ATF when there is a sale of multiple firearms to the same purchaser within a certain time period.

ATF uses the information gathered from multiple sales transactions to investigate possible firearms trafficking cases. If one or more firearms recovered from a crime are part of a multiple purchase, this could be an indicator of potential firearms trafficking. Crime guns recovered shortly after a multiple sale is known as a short time-to-crime ratio.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I bought a pistol from a guy, I think maybe a SF'er, about a year ago, parking lot deal at the local Cabela's. He told me he got "the letter" from ATF after he'd bought a huge batch of police turn-in Glocks from a pawn shop owner who was either going out of business or giving up his FFL. I forget which. Obviously, he sorted through the ones he wanted to keep for himself and then sold off the rest sans FFL. One of them eventually ended up in a crime scene in another state and ATF was able to trace it back to him and then, well.

My buddy who got "the letter" only got "caught" because one of the ARs he had built up and sold ended up in a crime scene years and several owners later. I think it was just a coincidence that his FFL got audited around the time that gun was found and it happened to be in a batch of five stripped lowers my buddy had bought.

I bought a batch of stripped AR lowers recently. I won't sell them, but will build them up eventually. Actually, I never buy a gun with the intent to sell it later. But when something comes up I can't live without, sometimes I have to free up funds and space by selling the lesser stuff.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Resident of Arizona--> those AR lowers were reported to the ATF, (form 3310.12).
The Glock was on the ATF Watch List. ATF was using the form 3310.4 for tracking multiple handguns.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd revive this one, as I'm probably going to be asked to liquidate a collection for a friend who's moving overseas. He was only planning to sell his four handguns and about 15-20 long guns his father owned. But his father passed away yesterday and so now he needs them all gone, and he's not much of a gun guy. I want to help, but I also don't want to look like I'm running a business. If I were to sell these guns for him, I didn't buy any of them from him and I'd be passing along every dime back to him. Would I be a magnet for trouble here? Or is it best for him to just sell in bulk to a LGS and let them worry about it, obviously leaving a lot of $$ on the table for the convenience of handing them off to an FFL?

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I thought I'd revive this one, as I'm probably going to be asked to liquidate a collection for a friend who's moving overseas. He was only planning to sell his four handguns and about 15-20 long guns his father owned. But his father passed away yesterday and so now he needs them all gone, and he's not much of a gun guy. I want to help, but I also don't want to look like I'm running a business. If I were to sell these guns for him, I didn't buy any of them from him and I'd be passing along every dime back to him. Would I be a magnet for trouble here? Or is it best for him to just sell in bulk to a LGS and let them worry about it, obviously leaving a lot of $$ on the table for the convenience of handing them off to an FFL?

I suggest that you simply advise him. He can sell off all of them (legally- to a resident of same state or through FFL if shipped out of state) without him being in the business and requiring him to have an FFL. If you, however, sell them for him, even if you have no profit, that looks like you’re in the business and you would need an FFL.

Just advise him, help him, hold his hand. But no way you should collect money from buyers.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
That number is “X”

They will not tell you what “X” equals until you sell “X+1”

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I suggest that you simply advise him. He can sell off all of them (legally- to a resident of same state or through FFL if shipped out of state) without him being in the business and requiring him to have an FFL. If you, however, sell them for him, even if you have no profit, that looks like you’re in the business and you would need an FFL.

Just advise him, help him, hold his hand. But no way you should collect money from buyers.

Yup, no way I'd the one selling anything for him. He needs to be the seller, whatever method he chooses.

Q

Posts: 27610 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is at least one member here who is an FFL and does estate sales.

I've tried a couple of the GB consignment sellers with mixed results. Like others have advised, I definitely wouldn't act as a selling agent for someone else, especially if they have quite a few to sell.

OP I sent you an email with a possible option.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1974 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Depending on the number and type, your friend might be better off going through a dedicated firearms auction house.

I handled an estate for a family that were liquidating just under 500 guns and the family used Rock Island Auction. They were great, but there are others just as good. Unless you have an FFL there is NO WAY I would be be middle man for your friend.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2081 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
Does it matter how many guns you sell if you go through an FFL?

Posts: 4957 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Firearm sales between residents are allowed here in NH.

I would be more concerned about federal law.

View video here

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Does it matter how many guns you sell if you go through an FFL?

no

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
There is at least one member here who is an FFL and does estate sales.

I've tried a couple of the GB consignment sellers with mixed results. Like others have advised, I definitely wouldn't act as a selling agent for someone else, especially if they have quite a few to sell.

OP I sent you an email with a possible option.

I am one of those (estate buying FFL) not that it really matters, since the guy that restarted this post is looking at selling (or helping ) a friend,

if there is anything I can do to help, question wise, please feel free to email,

otherwise, look at AZ law, and figure out the best route for him to unload them,

couple of ideas, some mentioned

sell himself via clubs, forums, gunshows etc,
list on GB
sell or consign to a local shop
or to an online reseller (FFL)

auctions, either local or national,

those are the most common,

honestly, unless you are selling AR's or Glocks to folks down in the hood, you are likely never going to looked at by the ATF,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I took a closer look at the photos he sent me and they are super nice rifles - LMT .308, FN, H&K, SIG 556 and on and on. Scottsdale Gun Club said they do consignment on an 80/20 split. I was going to see the guns tomorrow, but now it's been pushed to next weekend. Either way, they are not ghetto rat guns at all and should fetch good money.

And this is making me consider getting my FFL too, as I'd like to be able to scoop up stuff like this and legally flip it or at least do kitchen table transfers for gun money.