SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bathroom fixtures which brands are best?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bathroom fixtures which brands are best? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
We are remodeling our master bath and need to find the fixtures etc. We want to stay away the big box stores as I have read the quality is not as good.

Just looking around I liked several Moen fixtures but mother of God they are proud of their stuff!!

Are they worth it or are there better choices?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Kohler is my go-to for most mid-range stuff.
Great customer service and warranties. They also have a really nice golf resort in Wisconsin.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Moen or Delta, whichever design you like. Both are quality.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Don't know, but I do know I have not been impressed by Kohler quality. They will replace stuff at the drop of a hat, though. So if you don't mind having to wrench on your faucets and the like every so often...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

I concur.

However, understand that they have multiple "tiers" of quality. So you can't really just say "All Delta/Moen stuff is good to go", because there's some lower quality Delta/Moen stuff out there.

The stuff from a certain brand that's sold in the big box stores is usually their lower tier offerings, with lots of plastic parts. But you can often find a higher grade version of what you're wanting on the brand's website, and order it from an online store using the part number.

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Moen was original equipment for the shower controller in our house. We have been here for 35 years, zero problems with that.

Kitchen faucet was cheap builder grade. About fifteen years ago, we replaced that with Delta. Have had leaks a couple times, but an email to Delta Customer Service and they immediately sent replacement O-Ring kit, no charge. Delta has lifetime warranty. It was very easy for me to replace the O-Rings and seals, and my plumbing talent is pretty low. Ten minute job, made a little longer by OCD compulsion to really clean the spout with Bar Keepers' Friend while I had it off.

I would not hesitate to recommend either Delta or Moen, maybe price dependent, if equal I might choose Delta.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30736 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

My last expirience with Moen was shockingly good.

My house was built in 2003 and a couple years ago I noticed the finish on kitchen facet was bubbling up. I got ahold of their customer service, asked a few questions, sent some pictures and they sent a replacement part.

Pretty impressed that they stood behind a 15+ year old product.

Posts: 1807 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought three $100 MOEN bathroom faucets, They work and look great, but the chrome pop up drain stop is cheap plastic and scratches easy. I called MOEN and they sent out a replacement but it's the same cheap part. Our house was built in 1967 and two showers still have the original MOEN shower valves.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Moen for the win. Excellent service.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My son in law is a master plumber. We get everything through his company. Contractor grade. There is a difference between what you buy at the home stores and what he gets. I would go to a plumbing contractor and buy from them. You will pay the price but you will pay it once.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Don't know, but I do know I have not been impressed by Kohler quality. They will replace stuff at the drop of a hat, though. So if you don't mind having to wrench on your faucets and the like every so often...

I'm surprised by your comments. I find Kohler much more durable and higher quality than Delta, Phister or Moen. Subjective I guess, but having had the other three with many issues Kohler is where I've settled.

Also, I have nothing to back it up but I've been told by a respected general contractor I use and a plumber that the the fixtures you buy at the big box stores tend to be more problematic than the same brands bought from a dedicated plumbing supply source.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have had great service from Moen. They have a lifetime warranty. Never needed it on my bathroom sinks, but they took care of me no problem on the kitchen faucet. Highly recommend the dull brushed chrome finish, doesn't show water spots like the shiny finish.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9370 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
See if you have a Fergusons Plumbing Supply Store near you. Go to the showroom, not the plumbers supply counter area. They sell all the major brands including Moen & Delta etc, and no junk that I know of.

LINK to Fergusons you might want to call ahead and make an appointment, which I highly recommend, if your local Fergusons does so.

Go in, look, get educated from them. The more you know the better decision you will make.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would go with Kohler, Moen, or Delta.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My whole house is Delta as was the house I owned before this one.

37 years of Delta experience between the two houses and never had a problem with any of them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Delta. I like their touch technology. I have it my kitchen and bathroom. I don’t care for sensing though. The bathroom faucet has touch and sensing. I wish I would have only bought the touch feature.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I like Kohler. I built a house (4BR, 3 Bath) in 2005 and I spec'd Kohler for everything. In the time since, I've had one single issue...

All of my Bathroom Faucets are a widespread design w/ separate sink mounted valves for the hot & cold water. I turn the hot water on/off a lot in the MBR Bath while shaving (shaved head as well) and the hot water stem/valve began leaking a few years ago. I had purchased the Valve Stem Cartridge kit for a DIY repair, but was unable to disassemble the valve, even by putting it in a vise. I contacted Kohler for help. and they asked for the model and manuf. date on the valve, which I provided once they told me where to find it. They then informed me that they were shipping a complete valve ass'y for the Hot AND cold water, as they had updated the design for improved longevity.

Lifetime Warranty, NO Shipping Charge...I'm a Kohler customer for life! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8957 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently built a new house and went with the Moen Brantford line, their middle of the road line. I have the brushed nickel finish and have been very happy with it so far. Definitely purchase from a plumbing supply instead of the big box stores.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
My son in law is a master plumber. We get everything through his company. Contractor grade. There is a difference between what you buy at the home stores and what he gets. I would go to a plumbing contractor and buy from them. You will pay the price but you will pay it once.

This is the ultimate truth!
When I was building high end custom homes we inevitably would get into a discussion of why the plumbing fixture allowance was so high for the fixtures listed (mostly Koehler and Moen). The comment was typically “ I can go to Lowe’s and buy that fixture for only $xxxx”. I ended up buying two “identical” fixtures, one from Lowe’s and one from our plumbing supplier, Ferguson Enterprises and cutting them in half on a band saw to show all the differences...it was really surprising.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smlsig,

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6334 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big box stores tell the manufacturer what they want for a price point and the get made just for them usually with a custom part number. Low price and lower quality.

The supply house gets a product and marks it up for a profit.

There is a range of prices and quality at the supply house.

Low grade, contractor grade, middle grade and luxury/custom house grade.

Not all places carry all grades, but can usually order what you want.

The higher the grade, the more likely for you to need to order it.

The stuff gets expensive to inventory and moves more slowly unless you are in a high end location.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post