SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Battery for toy Car - can we go bigger...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Battery for toy Car - can we go bigger... Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
We have a small ride/drive car for the grandkids, it has a 6F/W7 or 12V7AH/20HR lead acid battery that came with it, and it's starting to wear out, we see slower speeds, short runs.

Looking at a replacement on Amazon finding 12V7.2AH which looks to be the same thing.

Wondering if there is an alternative battery that I could put in that would deliver more run time or power (speed, it's pretty slow) not quite walking speed for an adult.

Could I replace the 12v7AH like a 12V/9AH, would that give more run time, and could it be substituted for the 7AH

Do we need to raise the V rating and would it be safe to go to an 18V battery would that increase speed.

Link to Battery

Link to Lithium

Lithium is available, more charges, less weight (4 pounds) but we'd have to buy a new charger.

Any SF electrical engine wizards that know whats possible to do?

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no problem raising the capacity of the battery (higher Amp/Hrs)with the same voltage. This will just give you longer run time.
Different chemistry, same voltage also should be okay.

Raising the voltage is another story. It MAY work, but it also may cause a fire.

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Yep, Pete has it right above. Want more time? Go for the biggest amp Hour (aH) you can (that has the same dimensions as your old battery). Match the voltage though (in your case 12 Volt).

Also, a good charge schedule will help your new battery go a lot longer.

Good luck!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4935 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you can go to a bigger battery that has more Amp-Hours however you have to make sure that the battery can fit in the space you have now. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
More amp hours, same voltage. Square them away with that.

Then…

Find another kid car. Find a bigger electric motor with far more power. Find bigger battery with lots more amp hours. Start a project of building the kids a performance car. So they can learn to drift, or drag race. Plus, you get a kick ass project out of the deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Brushle...rd_i=B07KR2YJ1K&th=1

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son has an electric Jeep for the kids. I just donated all my Rigid tools to him. He converted it to 18 volt. He bought a kit to do it. Must be a transformer of some sort. That Jeep is a screamer! At least for a 2 and 5 year old.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention the age or size of the kids but keep in mind they will outgrow this one.
Also, if you haven't already, be sure they have a helmet and wear them.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Grand Nieces Daddy did a bit of work on Yaya's Jeep. As in a more powerful motor and two lithium ion batteries. It will now cruise at a slow jog and run over 3 miles before needing a charge. BTW, Yaya's parents are both triathletes and at 4 1/2 years old that little girl can sprint with perfect form and is a lot faster than most 6 or 7 year olds.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5664 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Before you know it Stickman will have your grandkids on an electric motor bike...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24173 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
More amp hours, same voltage. Square them away with that.

Then…

Find another kid car. Find a bigger electric motor with far more power. Find bigger battery with lots more amp hours. Start a project of building the kids a performance car. So they can learn to drift, or drag race. Plus, you get a kick ass project out of the deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Brushle...rd_i=B07KR2YJ1K&th=1

I don't need the grandkids outrunning my golf cart!

Plenty of room under the seat for a 12v9ah and perhaps a 12AH. That would give more drive time which is a plus, for now probably order a 9ah or 12ah as a replacement.

Been watching uToob and there are several videos on modifications using 18v or 20v small tool batteries, you can get a kit to mount under the seat/hood, and then use an 18V rechargeable drill/tool battery.

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with lithium, it will have twice the run time on about the same AH rating because lithium doesn't lose voltage when it discharges like lead acid batteries do. Lithium can also be run down to 10% charge without long term damage, unlike lead acid does when you go below 50%

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post