SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Warning for those using Hoppes 1204S gun cleaning patches.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning for those using Hoppes 1204S gun cleaning patches. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
They kept same part number but switched the product from synthetic to cotton patches.

I have no desire to add lint to my guns, I'm use these to clean my guns not dirty them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Weird, I actually prefer cotton patches. I don't recall ever having any issues with lint left behind and feel they wipe better that the synthetic patches. That said, though I've been preferring and using cotton patches since 1994, admittedly, I've have never purchased Hoppes brand patches either. Wink

ETA - Kleen-Bore 100% Cotton Flannel Cleaning Patches are my preferred gun cleaning patches.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer cotton also. I have time on my hands so I make my own from old t-shirts. I haven’t bought commercially made patches in over a decade.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Prefer cotton myself and I know that any hairs left behind will burn. Not sure about synthetic.
Cotton holds liquids and crud better then synthetic IMO.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Weird, I actually prefer cotton patches. I don't recall ever having any issues with lint left behind and feel they wipe better that the synthetic patches. That said, though I've been preferring and using cotton patches since 1994, admittedly, I've have never purchased Hoppes brand patches either. Wink

ETA - Kleen-Bore 100% Cotton Flannel Cleaning Patches are my preferred gun cleaning patches.

I'm with you. I'll take cotton any day.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I always thought the synthetic patches were comparable to wiping your keester with wax paper.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Cotton for me. Old T-shirts and socks if the need arises.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Cotton. Often make my own patches out of old T-shirts.
I use surgical towels for other gun maintenance.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I'll keep/try them out since everyone seems to like them. Worst case scenario I'm out $10 I guess.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cotton is all that I will buy and use!!

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of synthetic- it doesn’t absorb like cotton does, just kind of smears stuff around. I’ve never noticed a lot of shmutz building up from cotton.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Only use cotton on mine. I’ve never had an issue

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Cotton any day

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cotton is King !

Posts: 933 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Use canned air after cleaning.

quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Prefer cotton myself and I know that any hairs left behind will burn. Not sure about synthetic.
Cotton holds liquids and crud better then synthetic IMO.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Cotton. The touch, the feel, the fabric of our lives…

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kept Bum
posted Hide Post
have been using cotton since the 50's

"It does not require many words to speak the truth.".....Chief Joseph

https://pbase.com/shellyva/image/171613535

Posts: 88 | Location: Out there, somewhere | Registered: May 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Heck, I didn't even know what kind are the patches I bought. I figure if it says patch for whatever caliber, it's good to go.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Cotton since 1965

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Well I guess I'll keep/try them out since everyone seems to like them. Worst case scenario I'm out $10 I guess.

That's a bold strategy, cotton.

Let's see if it pays off.
( Hey, is there an echo in here?)

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post