SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Biden Admin allows 9/11 mastermind KSM to escape the death penalty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden Admin allows 9/11 mastermind KSM to escape the death penalty Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
Foxnews.com: 9/11 mastermind, 2 others strike plea deals while awaiting trial; families of victims 'very disappointed'

One of the suspects includes Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who played a large role in the terror attacks

Louis Casiano By Louis Casiano Fox News
Published July 31, 2024 5:59pm EDT | Updated July 31, 2024 6:59pm EDT

Prosecutors have agreed to plea agreements with three of the masterminds of the Sept. 11 terror attacks who were awaiting trial in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, the Department of Defense (DOD) said Wednesday.

The Convening Authority for Military Commissions, Susan Escallier, entered into pretrial agreements with Khalid Shaikh Mohammad, Walid Muhammad Salih Mubarak Bin 'Attash, and Mustafa Ahmed Adam al Hawsawi, the DOD said.

The terms and conditions of the plea deals were not disclosed, but the terror suspects will be spared the death penalty, three relatives of 9/11 victims were told by the Office of Military Commissions (OMC), the New York Post reported.

The defendants are accused of providing training, financial support and other assistance to the 19 terrorists who hijacked passenger jets and crashed them into the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, and a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, on Sept. 11, 2001.

The attacks killed nearly 3,000 people in the worst terror attack on U.S. soil in American history. Loved ones of the victims expressed outrage upon hearing news of the deal.

Jim Smith, a retired police officer and husband of Moira Smith, the only female NYPD officer who died on 9/11, told the newspaper that "I feel like I was kicked."

"The prosecution and families have waited 23 years to have our day in court to put on the record what these animals did to our loved ones. They took that opportunity away from us," he said. "They committed the worst crime in the history of our country, they should receive the highest penalty."

"I am very disappointed. We waited patiently for a long time. I wanted the death penalty — the government has failed us," Daniel D’Allara, whose twin brother, John, was an NYPD cop killed in the attacks, told The Post.

In September, President Biden rejected a plea deal that would have excused the 9/11 architects and co-conspirators from potentially facing the death penalty.

The conditions the prisoners wanted the DOD to accept included a guarantee they wouldn't serve their sentences in solitary confinement and allowing them to eat and pray with other prisoners in Guantánamo Bay. They also wanted a civilian-run program to treat brain disorders, sleep disorders, and gastrointestinal damage they say the CIA caused during interrogations prior to being transferred to Guantánamo Bay in 2006, according to a New York Times report at the time.

The three men, along with Ali Abdul Aziz Ali and Ramzi Bin al Shibh, were initially charged jointly and arraigned on June 5, 2008, and then were again charged jointly and arraigned a second time on May 5, 2012, in connection with their alleged roles in the attacks, the DOD said.

They are slated to be sentenced in Guantánamo Bay on Aug. 5

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Bury them in the sand up to their necks, and wait for the tide to come in. Death by "natural causes."

Posts: 6764 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We haven't managed to get rid of the guy in 23 years.
If he had gone to a trial he contested, that would still be years off and then there would be endless appeals.
Realistically, this will save taxpayers the money to go through that charade.
A better outcome would have been a quick interrogation followed by giving him to another country that deals with problems like him. Saddam is a good example.
As long as he was overseas, he wasn't entitled to most if any legal protections here. He wasn't a uniformed combatant, citizen, or legal resident of the US.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Perhaps in prison he will receive a shank by someone looking to be a hero.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1604 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What the man himself said:

“I asked KSM [Islamic terrorist Khalid Sheikh Mohammed] one time how come, since his brand of Islam is so violent, he calls it the religion of peace. He told me that my problem was that I interpreted the word peace the way Americans always do. He explained that according to his brand of Islam, peace would exist when the entire world was under Sharia law and ruled by a Muslim caliphate. He said Islam is the religion of peace because its aim is to impose Sharia law everywhere and in doing so bring peace to the world.

“KSM said that to make peace with one’s enemies is to convert, subjugate, or enslave them.”

—James E. Mitchell, Enhanced Interrogation (New York: Crown Forum, 2016), 180.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
The real joke is he's been wasting air this long.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5716 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The terms and conditions of the plea deals were not disclosed,
Nothing unambiguous there. Roll Eyes I'd be OK with a Supermax prison.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Look, I hate Biden as much as the next guy but to say "Biden Admin allows" in reference to this FUBARed circle jerk clusterfuck of a prosecution that has been going for 21 years since his capture March 1, 2003, is a stretch IMO.

This was the best they could get: have him admit guilt and go to prison a guilty man and die there, OR the other option was to punish via process for the next umpteen years until he dies of old age and is NEVER successfully prosecuted.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2070 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Look, I hate Biden as much as the next guy but to say "Biden Admin allows" in reference to this FUBARed circle jerk clusterfuck of a prosecution that has been going for 21 years since his capture March 1, 2003, is a stretch IMO.

This was the best they could get: have him admit guilt and go to prison a guilty man and die there, OR the other option was to punish via process for the next umpteen years until he dies of old age and is NEVER successfully prosecuted.

Yup, bear in mind part of the reason they have a hard time prosecuting them falls on the Bush administration invalidating evidence due to how it was obtained

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14249 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
What I cannot understand is why these terrorists were created as legitimate combatants. As I recall, terrorists and combatants (i.e., insurgents) not fighting under a national flag, were not "entitled" to any legal considerations other than a summary court martial by the military after capture--under international law. This perversion of longstanding military law put us in this situation.

Posts: 225 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll donate the 45 round. Hell I’ll even administer it. What is wrong with people. Kill him and move on.

Posts: 1162 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
What I cannot understand is why these terrorists were created as legitimate combatants. As I recall, terrorists and combatants (i.e., insurgents) not fighting under a national flag, were not "entitled" to any legal considerations other than a summary court martial by the military after capture--under international law. This perversion of longstanding military law put us in this situation.

That is correct. Non-uniformed combatants are not entitled to the provisions of the various accords and conventions. But the U.S. treats them this way anyway, probably because the leftist media and democrat marxist party howled about Guantanamo and "torture" and undermined Bush in every possible way. Our own military gets waterboarded as part of their training.

Obama, and thus Biden and Harris by proxy, is a muslim sympathizer. He let a bunch of terrorists go, who then went back to being, you know, terrorists. Everything he did in office regarding the middle east favored muslim extremist governments and disfavored secular or military governments. He helped Eqypt and Libya overthrow military dictators but did nothing to help Iranians overthrow their government. Then he had the Navy dump Bin Laden's body in the drink out of some misguided "Muslin burial" nonsense.

Put him in a U.S. prison, even a Supermax. The prisoners will take care of him...

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Should've died pumped full of the CIA's finest interrogation chemicals and hooked up to a car battery.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Should've died pumped full of the CIA's finest interrogation chemicals and hooked up to a car battery.

Hardly the same thing, but KSM was waterboarded and bragged about being able to endure it because he knew how long policy allowed it to be continued.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well of course. Why kill our enemies? Snd them a strongly worded letter.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Put him in a U.S. prison, even a Supermax.

I haven't typically been a fan of letting these guys out of Guantanamo, but ...

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
The prisoners will take care of him...

... I think Lefty is correct.

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post