SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - Stepping up to the challenge again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - Stepping up to the challenge again Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
The little shit still surprises me from time to time. We had a long conversation with her coach the other night about next month's State Outdoor Championships. The debate for tournaments lately has been which age division to register for. USA Archery rules allow for competitors to shoot up into higher age divisions.

Her coach and I went through all the scenarios. Shooting in her own age division of Bowmen, in all likelihood she would win, break her own state records, add another state championship to her shooter's resume and win a state championship for 3 years consecutive which we don't think anyone has ever done. Shooting up one division in Cub, she really doesn't face any competition.

Shooting up two divisions in Cadet becomes a whole different ball game. She'll be shooting at a longer distance against older teenage girls some of which are really good. These are some of the same girls she's known and looked up to ever since she's been involved in archery. These are also some of the same girls that really gave her a lot of attitude this past spring when she shot in the Cadet division for the State Junior Olympic Championships and took bronze.

After going through all the possible scenarios with the pros and cons of each we looked at each other and came to the same conclusion, why not ask what she wants to do. Her response,

"Isn't the point of a tournament to see how good you really are? Can I shoot in Cadet please?"

The amount of 'tude my daughter can display makes me proud and can also scare the hell out of me. This is one of those times it makes me proud.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
After going through all the possible scenarios with the pros and cons of each we looked at each other and came to the same conclusion, why not ask what she wants to do. Her response,

"Isn't the point of a tournament to see how good you really are? Can I shoot in Cadet please?"

Giving her the opportunity to decide for herself? Good for you and her coach. That alone undoubtedly builds her self-confidence, a quality which she already seems to have in abundance.

Her reply to the choice shows wisdom and maturity beyond her years. It must have been extremely gratifying to hear that response.

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Good on you, her coach and her! We're cheering her on!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Maya is smart way above her young age,good job dad.

Posts: 22421 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That girl has got some really good character. Maya is an example to young and old alike.

Posts: 5032 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The little shit still surprises me from time to time.

Well the local male population of her age had better grid themselves for what she'll be bringing to the dating table in a few short years! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember Maya saying that she has enough trophies and that she needs to push herself to improve. She is mature and smart beyond her years.

Good job on all involved and good luck to Maya.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smart kid. You're doing a great job. I hope she continues to improve and beats the pants off the older girls.

Posts: 4333 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I seem to remember Maya saying that she has enough trophies and that she needs to push herself to improve. She is mature and smart beyond her years.

Good job on all involved and good luck to Maya.

She said that last spring when we had a similar conversation. We had decided back then that she was going to shoot up in tournaments except for state championships. State Championships are a little bit of a different tournament and the titles do mean something. I gotta' give her credit, it means more to her to come in third or even not being on the podium knowing she did her best and losing to someone better than coasting to a win.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
These are also some of the same girls that really gave her a lot of attitude this past spring when she shot in the Cadet division for the State Junior Olympic Championships and took bronze.

I hope she Kicks. Their. Asses. Cool

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3888 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post

That is an outstanding attitude! Clearly a motivated young lady.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:

That is an outstanding attitude! Clearly a motivated young lady.

+1 Now that's the kind of attitude to have. Good luck Miss M.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post