SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got some pretty bad tire wear, pics posted
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got some pretty bad tire wear, pics posted Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoosehornMan:
Like everything alignments have gone up, labor cost and price of equipment.
This time spend a little more for a quality name brand tire with a higher treadwear rating.
And stop drifting it Wink

I'm all about the drift life. I didn't choose it, it chose me... Cool

Definitely on the next set. My financial situation at that time forced me into something cheaper.

I remember when you could get a set of 4 tires mounted, balanced with tax OTD for $425. Damn I miss those days.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shop said it was about 10 degrees out of alignment.

Say what?? Confused Roll Eyes Absolutely no alignment angle on any car can be 10 degrees out and still even be drivable.

Posts: 28023 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember when you could get a set of 4 tires mounted, balanced with tax OTD for $425. Damn I miss those days.

They ain't 155-80 13's anymore Smile

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 325 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Did they say what particular spec was 10 degrees off?

Did they say why?

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

About 1977, I bought a pair of 4 ply nylon tires for my 1963 Chevy II Nova for $18 each. They lasted 11,000 miles.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Shop said it was about 10 degrees out of alignment.

So 10 degrees 'Total Toe', where? In the rear? In the front? Was it 5 Degrees each side? Even 2.5 degrees each corner would be a lot, though I've never heard Toe referred to in terms of Front AND Rear. Regardless 10 degrees is a TON!

ETA - Looks like 'egregore' beat me to it. In my defense I started this post before him, but got sidetracked feeding the cats. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8977 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hey now, I just bought a set of those last year for my Midget.
Pennies compared to the 20in Michelin LTX I put on our Expedition

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15405 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
So 10 degrees 'Total Toe', where?
For perspective, typical total toe is around one quarter of one degree, often even less. For more, ten degrees is almost a half turn of the steering wheel.

Posts: 28023 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Shop said it was about 10 degrees out of alignment. Quite expensive for a 4 wheel alignment these days at $230. I remember many years ago I think it was Firestone offering lifetime alignments for $150 or a one time for $89.

They checked the suspension and didn't see any issues with the suspension.

Tires were cheap, I admit that, but I also expected even wear.

Firestone/Tires Plus still offers lifetime alignment. A couple years ago it was about $189 but they were offering a black friday sale for $159. I get my alignment checked everytime I rotate and balance my tires. Considering the price of tires nowadays, it was worth the investment.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post