SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Legos are our Grandkids favorite toys - Now the Titanic for only $629
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legos are our Grandkids favorite toys - Now the Titanic for only $629 Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
We have 5 Grandkids ranging from age 7 to 13 that include 4 boys and a girl. They, collectively, have probably 50 sets and a gazillion pieces. The days of Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toy, and Erector Sets are gone and every birthday and Christmas is celebrated with a new set of Legos. They're cool - I get it. I even have a Lego ship in a bottle that I got for Christmas last year.

Now I see a 5 foot long Titanic will sail into the US for real this time. Only 9,090 pieces to this bad boy. I noted it does not include a Lego Iceberg, Who's first in line?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Saw that one, too rich for me.

A comment i read: It'll be accurate, and if you drop it, it's still accurate Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
The price of that Lego model equates to the cost of a Third Class passage ticket on the Titanic (counting in the inflation rate); and we all know how well the Third Class (Steerage) passengers fared as versus the First and Second Class passenger did.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2708 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I guess I am truly a dinosaur. I thought the value of Legos was that kids could use their imaginations to create unique objects, now it seems that they are merely completing jigsaw puzzles. I know the cranes, bridges, and rocket gantries I made from my erector set were not to an instruction sheet.

Perhaps this explains some of what we are seeing in our youth?

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I guess I am truly a dinosaur. I thought the value of Legos was that kids could use their imaginations to create unique objects, now it seems that they are merely completing jigsaw puzzles. I know the cranes, bridges, and rocket gantries I made from my erector set were not to an instruction sheet.

Perhaps this explains some of what we are seeing in our youth?

Nonsense. They’ve been making “you build it” sets since at least the 70’s and probably long before that. We take my 7 year old son to a used Lego store where you can buy gallon ziplock bags of random mixed pieces and he builds all manner of stuff, lately mostly space ships and lunar rover type vehicles. The few sets his grandparents bought him were assembled into what they were supposed to be with assistance and then were immediately cannibalized to make whatever he wanted. I largely suspect this to be mostly the case around the globe.

Also… You think kids today are fucked up because Legos come in sets? Couldn’t have anything to do with all the social programming at school? Is this comment meant to be serious and taken seriously?

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I think kids (and the US economy as a whole) is messed up because this is the kind of money we expect to be able to spend for shits and giggles. That's why we can't afford to build anything here. Our standard of living is so high that unskilled labor is unaffordable.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There’s a big difference between sets today and the ones from the 70s. The sets today are more like 3D jig saw puzzles as they have mostly small specialty pieces that only seem to go together one way.

Posts: 11022 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
LEGOs are miniaturized Scandinavian caltrops.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Football/soccer stadiums, the Coliseum... impressive but expensive stuff from Lego. I believe that there is book called 'Cool Lego Guns' if that iz your preference.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I couldn't say that I built anything with Legos until I made a battle tank and a half-track.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Also… You think kids today are fucked up because Legos come in sets? Couldn’t have anything to do with all the social programming at school? Is this comment meant to be serious and taken seriously?
Not really, but I don't think it helps. Kinda like when I was a kid, my parents thought nothing of my leaving the house after breakfast, riding my bicycle all day around the neighborhood, and them not seeing me again until dinner time. Parents who allowed that nowadays would be charged with child abuse, but it taught me independence, self-reliance, and a whole lot of other things that no longer seem to be valued. How are kids going to learn to figure things out for themselves if they never get a chance to learn to do so (on so many levels I have to wonder if it is part of a plan).

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kids Lego’s are separated and all in big plastic storage tubs. We built the item as instructed out of the box and then when they were done with it they built whatever. Usually crazy looking houses and cars and planes.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
We have 5 Grandkids ranging from age 7 to 13 that include 4 boys and a girl. They, collectively, have probably 50 sets and a gazillion pieces.

HA!!!! You are just getting started.

quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
My kids Lego’s are separated and all in big plastic storage tubs. We built the item as instructed out of the box and then when they were done with it they built whatever. Usually crazy looking houses and cars and planes.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!

The kits get built and put on display they don’t get played with!

I buy random Legos by the pound on eBay and thrown in a massive tub and those are what get free play.

We leave the big kit buying to the grandparents.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I was only ever interested in my own LEGO creations as a kid.

Don't really get the love of the pre-set ones. It does strike me as imagination-deficient...

And yes, most sets now are more like 3D Jigsaw Puzzles than anything else.

Some folks buy wood and build their own furniture, and other folks prefer Ikea, I guess.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kids Legos not only entertained him, my cats enjoyed playing Lego hockey.
Thats bang for the buck!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16125 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The big sets aren't really for kids. They're pretty much for adults with disposable income.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Legos didn't exist when I was a kid (1940s). I had Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys, and a generic construction set (couldn't afford real "Erector"). I also built a lot of bridges, etc. with playing cards stuck into books. One of my uncles worked in a laundry and he brought home lots of those shirt cardboards. His older son and I would cut them into strips and fold them into troughs, glue them together into "marble runs", with lots of turns, switches, etc. Some of them covered half a ping-pong table up to 2 feet high and would take about a minute for a marble to make its way all through it.

FWIW, someone built an eternal clock with Lego parts that was accurate to a few seconds a century.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Titanic isn't made for kids to play with. It's made for adults to pretend they're kids. I buy a few sets a year to build myself and many sets as gifts for my nephews. The nephews build the trucks and planes and whatever else. They also build whatever they feel like building with the pieces they have. Imagination is still alive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: berto,

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
The big sets aren't really for kids. They're pretty much for adults with disposable income.

That has always been my impression of the kits.

But without any kids myself, my opinion is also that there’s nothing wrong with jigsaw puzzles. They can be a useful mental exercise, but without the value of true creative activities such as using something like Legos or even the simple wooden blocks which were what I had as a child to construct buildings and towns from scratch.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47419 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Not really, but I don't think it helps. Kinda like when I was a kid, my parents thought nothing of my leaving the house after breakfast, riding my bicycle all day around the neighborhood, and them not seeing me again until dinner time. Parents who allowed that nowadays would be charged with child abuse, but it taught me independence, self-reliance, and a whole lot of other things that no longer seem to be valued. How are kids going to learn to figure things out for themselves if they never get a chance to learn to do so (on so many levels I have to wonder if it is part of a plan).

For what it's worth, I don't hear about any of my friend's sons building these kinds of sets. Just because these are available now doesn't mean that's what all kids are doing with them. That's leaping to a conclusion that isn't supported by any evidence.

I think creative play is important, and it's also is far from dead, and I say that as a parent today. Kids are still kids, no matter what you put in their hands. If you just want to go all "darn kids these days," then I'll just let you have that. Razz

quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
We built the item as instructed out of the box and then when they were done with it they built whatever. Usually crazy looking houses and cars and planes.

Hmmm... seems to be a common theme here from parents raising kids right now.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post