SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **Mystery solved **Help in identifying the artist and history of this painting. *Update: artist ID'ed page 2* 1910 Magazine found page 3 *:)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Mystery solved **Help in identifying the artist and history of this painting. *Update: artist ID'ed page 2* 1910 Magazine found page 3 *:) Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
A file my father had documenting the artist and the magazine cover in the '30s-'40s-'50s that this caricature of Teddy Roosevelt appeared on sadly got tossed decades ago.

I just inherited the picture and would love to re-identify the artist and the magazine issue. Any help or suggestions on how to do that would be most appreciated! Big Grin

Sorry about the off angle shot but otherwise there would have been more reflected glare. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16205 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I cannot help, but that is very cool.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but I found this to be funny: 11 Fan Art Tributes to Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I don't know, but I found this to be funny: 11 Fan Art Tributes to Teddy Roosevelt

Mental Floss often has some great stuff! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16205 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
have you tried running it through Google Images?

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Must be a doctor that did it. Can't read the signature. Any idea about the artist's name?

Tried several different google image searches and got nothing. "Teddy Roosevelt magazine cover" ... "Teddy Roosevelt caricature" ... "Teddy Roosevelt lion caricature" ... "Roosevelt lion caricature" ...

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
have you tried running it through Google Images?

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Must be a doctor that did it. Can't read the signature. Any idea about the artist's name?

Tried several different google image searches and got nothing. "Teddy Roosevelt magazine cover" ... "Teddy Roosevelt caricature" ... "Teddy Roosevelt lion caricature" ... "Roosevelt lion caricature" ...

Yup, did all that as well as searching individual covers of weekly and monthly periodicals from that era. Sadly most of those are incomplete. Nope no matches and no, no idea who the artist is/was.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Have you taken the frame apart to see if there are any labels/writing on the back?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Have you taken the frame apart to see if there are any labels/writing on the back?

The paper seal has started coming off the back and I was able to peek in with a flashlight before hanging it. Nope, nothing hidden or on the back. Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just as the signature says. The artist is EFwwv

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
That is the long lost work of Elmer Fudd.
Smile

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
That is the long lost work of Elmer Fudd.
Smile

LOL Smartass! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Try here:
http://www.artistssignatures.com/monograms.php

Maybe E F Ward?

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

The Teddy Night painting was really cool.

JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Enrico Fermi.
What a find!

Posts: 18054 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Looks like something from Puck, but can't find the provenance....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Looks like something from Puck, but can't find the provenance....

Yeah I checked Puck, New Yorker, Colliers, Harpers, Atlantic Monthly, Liberty, Fortune, The American, Saturday Evening Post, and others. But again the online archives are woefully incomplete.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
do you live near a University?

make a call or contact someone in the Arts department, get the name of a prof or TA and email them the photo

alternatively, if you have a museum nearby, someone there might be able to give some pointers

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
do you live near a University?

make a call or contact someone in the Arts department, get the name of a prof or TA and email them the photo

alternatively, if you have a museum nearby, someone there might be able to give some pointers

I'm in South Dakota which is sparsely populated. Rapid City is the second largest city and its population is just over 60k. Bottom line is that there aren't any highly sophisticated local resources.

A little better shot without as much reflection.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've checked out numerous collections like this one: https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/...00092/smu-00092.html

And now I've reached out to the local Dahl Arts Center and the Theodore Roosevelt Center at Dickenson State University. We'll see....

USN (RET), COTEP #192