SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Waiting for Mom to die
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting for Mom to die Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
My mother is 75, she has had a downward spiral with her Parkinson's and Dementia for the last 4 or 5 years after taking care of my dad who died of Pancreatic Cancer at 71. She has been in a nearby nursing home ever since dad passed as she badly needed a hip replacement she had deferred. She's been on Hospice for about 6 months and last weekend Hospice let my brother and I know of her "additional transitioning on her journey" or whatever euphemism they use. I can verify she has not eaten or drank since Monday due to her inability to due so. She's cognitively not there, completely unresponsive. Each day my brother and I have visited her this week we are certain that "tonight is the night." But it never is. She has been completely emaciated from her lack of eating, she looks like something out of a WWII concentration camp. When my brother and I visit we tell her she can go, Dad is waiting. No idea if she hears us, they say hearing is the last to go. She's getting the morphine and the Ativan and all that from Hospice every 1 or 2 hours. Last night her breathing was once every 5 or so seconds and then 30 or more seconds would pass and then back to every 5 or 10 seconds. Eyes fixed and unresponsive. They say people can't live for more than 3 days without water, and I get bedridden zero exertion is a different story, but the human body is crazy durable.

The nursing home bill is almost completely covered by long term care insurance, so finances are not a concern. My dad died relatively quickly after a short (less than 30 days) nursing home stay after a 4 1/2yr battle with Pancreatic Cancer. Nothing is physically attacking my mom, she has no cancer, no Covid, no Flu, no infection that we can determine, this is the natural body shutdown from lack of being able to eat or drink pursuant to her desires for no life sustaining procedures (feeding tube, etc.). My brother and I have agreed that we aren't doing the nursing home route. His wife recently checked her mom into one for dementia and has come to the same conclusion.

I'm 42, in the last 20 years I've been to funerals for my father in law, grand father in law, great grandmother in law, father, grandfather, two grandmothers, an aunt, an uncle, and a hunting buddy. I'm not new to this, the process of death, the grieving, the funeral planning, etc. All of them were "expected", some may have not been "quick" because I wasn't as closely connected to the process as I am this time. For example: my dad fought his battle 6 hours away from us.

I will add this, I never talked about it on here, but I did experience one "sudden and unexpected" but "too young and no physiological decline" death last year. My highschool girlfriend and her family were murdered at a state park. We had long since gone our separate ways, but that one hurt strong and fast and brought up lots of memories from 25 years ago.

I'd rather take my grief quick and strong and over with than this days, weeks, and months of small doses of it. However, life is messy.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sorry you're going through this. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

One grandmother and one aunt were in hospice much longer than anyone anticipated. My aunt had a rare, genetic disease that's unlikely the small town hospice had seen combined with cancer so they were several weeks premature on their death is imminent conversation with family. My paternal grandmother was a farm girl, a WWII factory worker, a single Mom all of WWII, etc. and was likely just much tougher and more stubborn than hospice anticipated.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry for this. It is never easy to lose a parent or someone close to you.

Posts: 9479 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for you and your brother and families. And I would say she can hear you. Tell her everything you wish her to hear. Godspeed to your mother.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19229 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Prayers for all. The longer we live, the more we experience this. Never pleasant, but always present. I have a good friend who is suffering from dementia. It hurts every time I see or visit with him. He was such a sharp, intelligent fellow. Life's too short.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear sir. Life is messy, absolutely right.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6983 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear this. As a point of perspective, my dad remained in a similar state for 9 days before he went to our lord. It's a brutal thing to go through but stay strong and many of us are praying for you and your family. She is blessed you guys have been able to visit her in this time.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5135 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
My condolences. I went through this with my fiancé a year ago June but she went from the ICU to the end of her life in hospice in 8 days.

I know what you’re going through. I still think of Tracy every day and I’m sure you will think of your mom every day. Remember the good stuff.

Posts: 53226 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My dad passed two years ago. My mom has dementia at 87, and just broke 3 ribs in a fall.

I completely understand. You have my sympathy, find strength in friends and family. Reward yourself in small ways when you can.

It's obvious you love your mom, and want the best for her, which now, means the end.

God bless you, your mother, and your family.

You are in my prayers.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

I was with my mother in her last days on her deathbed, suffering from cancer. Easily the most difficult part of my entire life. Had my first and only nervous breakdown. Prayers sent to your mother and you.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Scuba Steve Sig,
Such vigils are tough to handle. You and your family have my prayers and condolences.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Not an easy thing to go through.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Having just gone through loosing my Mother, I am sorry for what you are going through.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers at this challenging time.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of my parents are long gone. To a certain extent people decide when they are ready to go.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My heart goes out to you. I’m starting to help my folks with their arrangements (properties, trusts, care, etc), although they are both doing ok right now.
I have certainly acquainted myself with death through family members and friends, both shocking and expected, and I never find it easy, but it’s never been too protracted. I’m so sorry. I didn’t know hearing was the last thing to go. For some reason I thought smell..had all these ideas of cooking up a favorite thing and bringing it to them to help happy safe memories surface.. perhaps I’ll add music to the list. God bless you and your brother for being with her at her last.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walked that path last October and November. I think the last meal Mom had was when when I fed her in the hospital. Four days later, she passed with several of us at her bedside. Grace to you and your family in this time.

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My deepest condolences.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31481 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry…as you said, it’s believed that hearing is the final sense…so keep talking to her. For me, I found that comforting when I was losing my own mom.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences Steve. Dealing with watching my dad do the Parkinsons decline since about 2004. It sucks.
I do some part time work in retirement that takes me into long term care facilities for insurance inspections. It reaffirms my thoughts that I NEVER want to end up there.
On the MIL front, she's soon to be 105. No medical issues to speak of other than recuring UTI's. Mind is still as sharp as ever. BUT, the body is just slowly giving out. Again, watching the decline is just tough.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Condolences for what your Mom is going through and prayers for strength to help you deal with it.

My Dad went through the stages of dementia and left the world slowly---first cognitively, then physically. It is a tough road for everyone involved.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post