New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dairy Allergy Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I was stubborn as can be but finally gave in to my dairy allergy. Every since I was a kid around 12 years old, I would get chronic sinus infections and had issues I couldn't figure out. I started by switching to lactose free milk. Then I switched to almond/coconut/cashew/oat milk as an alternative. I am an absolute dairy lover and this has pained me so. I switched to just dry aged cheeses, still no relief. After that, pure goat cheese from Greece but still bothered me. At this point, I can't have anything dairy related or dairy byproducts like lactose. On top of that, if it says processed in a facility that does dairy, it's about a 75% chance its going to wreck me. I had no idea my movements were unusual but after totally dropping dairy, I learned they were not. Now, if I have a slight contamination, it wrecks me for days. Also, I always had back pain I attributed to working out, which turned out to be a reaction to dairy and inflammation. Sorry for the rambling, but hopefully this helps somebody else out suffering the same things. I haven't had a sinus infection since I quite completely. I still get contaminated once a week or so, it's extremely annoying. The latest one was breakfast sausage which should have no dairy in it.

Has anybody else gone on this journey?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is tough. what were your symptoms. Any other issues such as rash or psoriasis.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Weird, I was allergic to milk when I was a kid, but I can drink it now and cheese w/o issue...we used to use some kind of soy milk for our food...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I seem to always have some sinus issues. Maybe I need to give up on all cheese etc myself. Thanks for passing this along.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I narrowed mine down to milk (casein) or gluten. Turns out, it was gluten. No headaches, no more joint pain, other than normal for my age.

Posts: 1363 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear. Dairy Allergy and Lactose Intolerance are different things.

With lactose intolerance, your body lacks the enzyme (lactase) which digests lactose, the sugar in milk. When undigested lactose hits your intestines, bacteria there digest it instead, and throw off their gaseous waste products = flatulence, diarrhea, cramps, etc.

In dairy allergy, you are allergic to the proteins in milk (not the sugar). This is true allergy, with your immune system identifying milk proteins as foreign invaders, and mounting an immune response.

From your symptoms it sounds like you have actual allergy. Drinking lactose-free milk (or taking lactase tablets) wouldn't help you. Maybe consult with an allergist, see if they have any ideas, although it sounds like you have a pretty severe case.

Lactose Intolerance vs. Dairy Allergy

(I btw have moderate lactose intolerance, but am not actually allergic to dairy.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
I narrowed mine down to milk (casein) or gluten. Turns out, it was gluten. No headaches, no more joint pain, other than normal for my age.
mine was gluten, which is common to also cause sensitivities to dairy, so be aware of that relationship.
Once removed, no headaches, body aches, rashes, anxiety, and the list goes on and on. I will never touch wheat again.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2249 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
That is tough. what were your symptoms. Any other issues such as rash or psoriasis.

Being stuffy to chronic sinus infections, stomach pain, and back pain in the center of my spine.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Just to be clear. Dairy Allergy and Lactose Intolerance are different things.

With lactose intolerance, your body lacks the enzyme (lactase) which digests lactose, the sugar in milk. When undigested lactose hits your intestines, bacteria there digest it instead, and throw off their gaseous waste products = flatulence, diarrhea, cramps, etc.

In dairy allergy, you are allergic to the proteins in milk (not the sugar). This is true allergy, with your immune system identifying milk proteins as foreign invaders, and mounting an immune response.

From your symptoms it sounds like you have actual allergy. Drinking lactose-free milk (or taking lactase tablets) wouldn't help you. Maybe consult with an allergist, see if they have any ideas, although it sounds like you have a pretty severe case.

Lactose Intolerance vs. Dairy Allergy

(I btw have moderate lactose intolerance, but am not actually allergic to dairy.)

You've got that right. I wish I was only lactose intolerant. Any milk protein affects me severely, since I quite dairy completely. If I have any dairy contamination, I can start feeling phlegm in the back of my throat. Funny, I was cleared my throat all the time, assuming it was just how it was. That stopped once I quit.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE