SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VIDEO "The Ingenious Design of the Aluminum Beverage Can"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VIDEO "The Ingenious Design of the Aluminum Beverage Can" Login/Join 
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted
I find the engineering of everyday items can be fascinating. Here's a cool video I stumbled upon.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that!.. I've seen them made real time but never known the science behind the design. I love anything about building anything pretty much.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Interesting, yet no mention of the math behind the shape of the can. Basic high school calculus (well, it was basic 50 years ago) taught one of the more useful equations --Max/Min -- to get maximum interior volume using the minimal amount of exterior material.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Love this stuff!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16959 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Thanks sigalert. That was interesting.

At Miss. State University in the 1960's, freshman chemistry was taught by Dr. Clyde Q. Sheely, who was quite the card. Reportedly paid a nominal $1 salary, he invented the liner for (steel) beer cans. We sometimes toasted him at the Crossroads taverns.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
I've seen them made real time but never known the science behind the design. I love anything about building anything pretty much.

Cruiser, I’m curious... where did you see cans made? Chicago area?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Nope somewhere in New England when I was growing up or maybe in Atlanta when we were visiting relatives. I was completely amazed at the speed with which they rolled through the process.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I am also old enough to remember the evolution of the tab and before when we used to have to use the punch opener. Eek

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Interesting video.

Anyone else think the narrator's voice could fill in for Agent Smith?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Interesting, thanks for posting this Sigalert. I just had to pop a can of beer while watching. Big Grin

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Someone may read Popular Mechanics and enjoy Math.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Fascinating

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Interesting video.

Anyone else think the narrator's voice could fill in for Agent Smith?

Mr. Caaaannnderson.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34421 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. I love the “how it’s made” stuff!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I didn’t realize it was so complicated. Interesting how so much much engineering went into such a simple everyday item.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I once had a job where I had to dump expired cans of pop into a crusher so we could recover the aluminum.

It was soda pressing, I could barely stand it.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I once had a job where I had to dump expired cans of pop into a crusher so we could recover the aluminum.

It was soda pressing, I could barely stand it.

I'm sure it was just metal fatigue.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16959 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I'm sure it was just metal fatigue.

You think you have medal fatigue.........................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post