SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you ship things affordably?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you ship things affordably? Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
Is there an affordable shipping option for regular people who don't have million dollar commericial shipping contracts?

I shipped a package at USPS yesterday. For a medium size box weighing 2 lbs 5 oz, it cost me $13.50 to ship from TX to MI. The only options offered were Next-day air and Priority Mail, so there were no other less expensive options than Priority. If I used a flat-rate box, it would have been $15.50.

Last time I shipped a similar package a couple months ago, it was about $8.50, and even then I felt it was pricey. Last time I checked, FedEx & UPS were more expensive than USPS for any given size & weight.

How do all the sellers on eBay sell stuff w/o get raped on shipping charges? If I were to sell a pair of shoes or pants... a set of pint glasses or some tools, is it just a given that it'll cost me $15-20 to ship them? Not very enticing to buy something if the shipping costs more than the item itself.

Am I missing something?

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Just wait until Sunday the 9th. There's another USPS rate increase. Mad

You might try pirateship.com which gets you USPS commercial rates.

Also available with eBay's and PayPal's shipping service. Only trouble with those two is with the new 1099K rules, you're out unless you give them a SSN.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get used to it. Increased fuel prices, increased wages to attract and retain employees, increased maintenance costs on trucks, aircraft and material handling equipment. Commercial property tax increases on warehouses, etc. Shipping costs will probably double again over the next 3 years.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
UPS Commercial Acct Cool
Discounted rate & i can pay with my own card instead of charging to the corp acct.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
What are the requirements for a UPS Commercial Account? Do you have to spend a certain amount per month to get commercial rates?

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
What are the requirements for a UPS Commercial Account? Do you have to spend a certain amount per month to get commercial rates?

I'm actually not sure. Was given a login after it was setup by another dept.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Lots of tricks. Look up PayPal secret shipping link. In extreme cases you could list an item on eBay or some other site for $1 and call it xyxyxhhs (so only you could locate it), buy it and then use their discounted shipping label.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have quit going to the USPS office altogether. Pay for poor parking and I have to take my pistol off (Federal Property) to go inside. Once in there I get to stand in line. I now just drive to the FedEx hub. And just walk right in and get it done. Free parking. No line. No Feds around. I find that FedEx is about $3 more than USPS to ship the same package. So worth it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.pirateship.com/

Discounted USPS and UPS rates.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.pirateship.com/

Discounted USPS and UPS rates.

YES!!!!. Pirateship UPS cost is less that my commercial UPS account. Also you can compare prices with USPS & pick the carrier.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Get used to it. Increased fuel prices, increased wages to attract and retain employees, increased maintenance costs on trucks, aircraft and material handling equipment.

That, plus increased demand for shipping service due to consumers having stuff shipped to the home vs. shopping at retail.

The answer is, sadly, to redefine 'affordably' and move on.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i just use UPS 'Ground' for most things

the convenience of the UPS locations and reliable tracking makes it worth it to me

USPS is horrible IMO

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you think Amazon can afford to ship a bottle of shampoo to the middle of nowhere for free? Because you and I subsidize their shipping costs by being over charged for our Christmas packages to the grandkids! Thats how. And USPS gets in on the action by way of their sweet deals for retail delivery of Amazon packages.

I buy, sell and ship big farm machinery (tractors, combines, etc) all over the country. In the 12 years I have been doing this, trucking prices have gone up and down and are probably a little bit higher than 12 years ago. But nothing like the increases in UPS/FedEx/USPS prices. No, that is mostly caused by Amazon and their free shipping.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I think Amazon is what's keeping USPS alive right now. All the carriers have deals with each other where they deliver to places that are not cost-effective for the others to deliver to. I regularly get UPS packages delivered to my locked USPS mailbox cluster down the street from my house. If USPS has to manage a post office Shoshone, CA (Death Valley), it's a lot easier and cheaper for them to handle a local delivery for one of the other guys.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I had mailed a karma item to a member not too long ago by UPS because I thought it would be cheaper (after researching online). Nope. Cost more than if I had shipped it USPS.

A few days ago I shipped a belt buckle from Seattle to Phoenix by USPS ... cost $5. Checked with UPS and it would be double the cost.

I am not a fan of USPS, but shipping for me is cheaper. Don't get me started with Fedex ... they have phuked up our last three packages and again with another that has been sitting on a truck waiting the last three days for delivery.

Okay, am done whining ... I feel better. Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm No Quitter
posted Hide Post
Hope this info helps

If you can print your own labels at home on your own printer .. you can use a usps box call REGIONAL RATE A Box Or A REGIONAL RATE B box.

The boxes are FREE... but NOT AVAILABLE AT THE POST OFFICE.

You go online to USPS.COM and you can order the boxes for FREE! They are delivered to your door by your mailman ... for free!!

When you make yourself a USPS Shipping Account ( CLICK N SHIP ).
You can scroll down to the REGIONAL RATE A BOX. And then type in the address from you going to another address and it will give you a price.

I have had Great Luck when I had my Gun Shop and even now today sending Family packages!

REMEMBER ... YOU MUST HAVE REGIONAL RATE A BOXES sent to your home address FOR FREE

AND YOU MUST PRINT YOUR OWN SHIPPING LABELS.

YOUR MAIL MAN WILL PICKUP PACKAGES FROM YOUR HOME/MAILBOX or YOU CAN TAKE THE PREPAID BOX WITH YOUR LABEL ALREADY ATTACHED TO YOUR LOCAL POST OFFICE

BEST WISHES

Posts: 4083 | Location: Lauderdale , Mississippi | Registered: June 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post