SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will diesel do permanent damage to gas engines (Tampa Gas Mixup)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will diesel do permanent damage to gas engines (Tampa Gas Mixup) Login/Join 
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Diesel has an extremely low octane rating.

You are both forgetting that diesel ignites poorly with spark ignition. I also believe it may not get through the injectors as they operate at much lower pressure than a diesel injection pump. IME the engine doesn't run long enough to be damaged.

Add to that that diesel is not measured in octane.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
quote:
quote:

You are both forgetting that diesel ignites poorly with spark ignition. I also believe it may not get through the injectors as they operate at much lower pressure than a diesel injection pump. IME the engine doesn't run long enough to be damaged.

Add to that, diesel is not measured in octane.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Quite a few years ago, there were several instances of Jet-A (similar to diesel) fuel being pumped into piston-powered airplanes with predictably disastrous results. Engine failure immediately after take-off is A Very Bad Thing.
I don’t know if this is related the the incidents you mention, but several years ago Chevron paid for a *lot* of engine overhauls. They had some confusion in their pumping and contaminated some 100LL in the lines with diesel. Two things happened very quickly: 1) They paid for a lot of engines, and 2) Self-serve pumps were modified to require input of the aircraft’s N-number prior to dispensing fuel.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I accidently filled my Harley up with diesel one afternoon. I've been driving a diesel truck for decades, it was just force of habit pulling up to the green pump.

I made it about 1/2 a block from the station and it died. Once I figured out what I'd done, I drained most of it from the tank and filled it up with regular and it ran fine. No harm done...except to my ego. Big Grin

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Recently a fuel delivery truck delivered diesel fuel into the gasoline storage tanks and also gasoline into the diesel storage tanks at a station along I-10 west of Baton Rouge, La..... Many vehicles have reported contamination but the station was being very tight lipped about taking responsibility .... Not something any driver would want too have to go thru..... Bad enough when the individual driver makes this mistake but when a fuel station screws up and then tries to not take responsibility is not a good thing.. But no fear the lawyers will be the ones that benifit the most. ................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2027 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Putting gas in a diesel engine starts at about 2:56

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Exactly. Diesel is rated in Cetane. Its rating is kind of the opposite of Octane. Whereas a higher Octane number indicates a higher resistance to ignition, a higher Cetane number indicates a lower ignition delay, or faster burn. Octane ratings would have no meaning for diesel engines.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
About 12 years ago I had a GM Duramax diesel truck where the owner filled it with E85 (85% ethanol) at the station across the street. He drove it over, and I drove it just long enough to get it into the bay, but for that brief distance it sounded normal and was running smoothly. I siphoned as much as possible and filled it back up with proper fuel. It ran fine when it left.

Posts: 28009 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Exactly. Diesel is rated in Cetane. Its rating is kind of the opposite of Octane. Whereas a higher Octane number indicates a higher resistance to ignition, a higher Cetane number indicates a lower ignition delay, or faster burn. Octane ratings would have no meaning for diesel engines.

Alright look. You guys are completely missing the point. Yes, diesel is not measured in Octane precisely because it would be so low. Octane is a completely arbitrary number made up for gasoline engines. But if you mix diesel with gasoline, which is the whole point of this thread, it will absolutely cause the octane rating of the gasoline to go down which in turn can cause severe knocking in high compression gasoline engines.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Alright look. You guys are completely missing the point. Yes, diesel is not measured in Octane precisely because it would be so low. Octane is a completely arbitrary number made up for gasoline engines. But if you mix diesel with gasoline, which is the whole point of this thread, it will absolutely cause the octane rating of the gasoline to go down which in turn can cause severe knocking in high compression gasoline engines.[/QUOTE]

If you add diesel to gasoline, you are increasing the octane of that gas, to the point it will not run. Higher octane means less flammable, not more. That is why high compression gas engines use it. To prevent pre ignition (knock) in cylinder.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
~sigh~ smh.

None of that is accurate.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post