SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Running shoe recommendation.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Running shoe recommendation. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I may start a running program at some point in the near future. Is new balance the shoe still? Where would I buy as well. REI?

I do not want to spend a bunch of money. But enough to get a good shoe.
Something with good support and comfort. I am not a competition runner. Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Asics Gel Nimbus 24. That is their latest Nimbus. The cushioning is amazing. And stable. They will probably come out with 25 this year, but not sure how they can improve on 24.

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
This if not something anyone can just throw out an answer to over the internet.

Everyone has differently shaped feet and arches, needs differing amounts of cushion and of support against ankles rolling in or out, etc. If you want to avoid pain and possible injury, it’s actually a pretty complicated issue.

There is no running shoe, no matter how good, that works for everyone.

The single best running shoe in existence for me might make you want to cut your feet off after a couple of miles.

Different brands frequently have a core “profile” they cater to, but even within any given brand there is frequently very significant variation from one model to another.

Your best bet by far would be to find a good running store you can visit in person. A good general sporting goods store would be OK, or an online running store where you can call and talk to someone knowledgeable who can ask you the right questions to at least give you a good place to start.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to get fitted. Go to a specialty running store and plan on spending an hour there. Budget yourself $120-140 for shoes and another $20-30 for socks.

They'll test you to see what your gait is (how you walk/run) and then have you try-on a variety of models based upon how your body moves and your feet hit the ground. Different brands are stronger in certain run types or profiles than others, don't get hung-up on brands; the bigger brands will be strong in a variety of runner types. Make sure you get the right fit and understand the differences. Yes, socks can make a difference, from blister prevention, to padding and sweat management.

For the big online and national resources:

Fleet Feet - Entry-level runs specialty retailer run by local franchises
Road Runner - Intermediate level retailer
Running Warehouse - Run nerd central, from racers to beginners

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Brooks!! Best shoe

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3438 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
This is akin someone asking, "I'm completely new to shooting but want to buy a handgun. Which one should I get?"

As has been suggested, go to a running specialty store. Bring a pair of old running shoes, sneakers, walking shoes... something where they can examine your wear pattern.

Buy one of their recommendations. Just like shooting, over time, you'll try a lot of shoes. Eventually you'll find what works well for you and what characteristics to look for in shoe models.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
This is akin someone asking, "I'm completely new to shooting but want to buy a handgun. Which one should I get?"

Asics Gel Nimbus 24.

Oh wait, for handgun, I recommend the Beretta BOX.

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fit is very important for comfort.

I don't run much anymore, but I still use this technique with all my footwear.

Runner's lock lacing...
https://youtu.be/OBbc6TackDQ

Not too tight or you may lose some circulation!

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I agree with many things posted above. There are no single best shoe for everyone. But I also agree that Brooks are quite special, and I no longer look elsewhere. You can determine your pronation at home with a few simple tests. That will tell you if you need a support shoe or a neutral shoe. Just google those words. One test has you stand on construction paper with wet feet. The arches show up readily or lack thereof. A shop isn't a bad plan though. They'll provide a fair amount of guidance and in the end, you'll pay pretty close to what you would online. Maybe just a little more than some prior year models you might have dug up.

You can save a fair chunk of change by buying last years version. So, Brooks Ghost 15s are on the Brooks website. If you look, you might find 14s in your size on 6PM or Zappos etc.

Final thought, if comfort over weight is important. The Brooks Glycerine is the softest shoe I've ever used.

Good luck.

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

I cannot second this enough. Between Brooks, Hoka, Saucony, Asics, Altra, New Balance and a half dozen other brands, it would be like trying to pick between Sig, Glock, HK and others without ever wrapping your hand around the grip.

Go to a specialty running store and get fit. If there is not one near you, REI will probably work, but those employees are usually not as well trained as those in a specialty running store. However, if you have an REI nearby, there should be a running store too.

You need to budget at least $120. And possibly up to $180. Shoes have gotten expensive.

Corsair is correct, socks are important also. But his $20-$30 estimate is low. The best quality socks are $15-$18 per pair nowadays. However, instant karma, PM me your info and I will send you socks to get you started. I happen to work in that industry.

Posts: 2310 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Asics Gel Nimbus 24. That is their latest Nimbus. The cushioning is amazing. And stable. They will probably come out with 25 this year, but not sure how they can improve on 24.

I tend to agree with this. They DO require more frequent replacement in my experience but they support in these is fantastic.

I replaced mine every 500-600 miles, but I'm currently getting 800-1000 miles from my Saucony Kinvara, which I've used since switching from the ASICs, I think my last ASICs was the 18 or so.

You HAVE to go try on running shoes though, use these recommendations as a starting point but get the ones that fit the shape/size of your foot and your stride.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6326 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make a shoe WITHOUT the gel crap? I have a several year old pair of Salomons that I love. Every running shoe I've tried in the past year has soles like putting a waterbed on your feet.

Posts: 11227 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Go to a specialty running store and get fit.

After consulting with a running shoe expert, I settled on the Brooks Beast, since I need a motion control shoe for my flat feet, and Brooks makes very high quality running shoes. They have served me very well for years. (That brand and model, not the same single pair of shoes...)

But that's for my and my feet. Your feet are very likely quite different.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I have both Brooks and New Balance. The Brooks cushions my heel better than the NB. Both brands are compatible with my narrow feet. If yours are wide, probably best to go to a specialty store as has been suggested.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course they do. They make use for people who love cushioning (not you) through less cushioned shoes (probably you) down to minimalist soled shoes that are basically barefoot shoes.

All the running shoe companies cater to the whole market you just have to dive in and learn their buzzwords.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/find-your-run/

there is a find your shoe section that asks a bunch of questions to determine what shoe you need. check it out

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I moved from NB and Nike to Saucony about 8-10 years and never looked back. I don't run but do a fair amount of walking and do wear the running version. The most comfortable athletic shoe I've ever worn. They offer some bargain and sales models. I go for the medium/higher priced ones. Like about $150. Seems like a lot but they are very durable.

This is the last model I bought. Only 8.9 oz and comes in wide sizes which I appreciate.

https://www.saucony.com/en/tem...prefv1=false&start=1

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
They will probably come out with 25 this year, but not sure how they can improve on 24.
Change the color and jack up the price.

Posts: 9055 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Corsair is correct, socks are important also. But his $20-$30 estimate is low. The best quality socks are $15-$18 per pair nowadays. However, instant karma, PM me your info and I will send you socks to get you started. I happen to work in that industry.

I was being generous, jumping in the deep-end and getting pair of nice Belega's is a shock for beginners.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post