SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driving on plugged tire?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving on plugged tire? Login/Join 
posted
What is the opinion of driving on a tire with a plug in it. Went to a friend's house Saturday evening, punctured a drive tire and was leaking with a noticeable hiss on arrival. Flat in about 25minutes. No tire shops open before monday AM, so it was plugged and reinflated. It seems to be holding air and will monitor for loss of pressure over time. Tires are about 3.5 yrs old (oct 18) with almost exactly 30k miles. I am guessing half tread left. Punctured between tread blocks. Tire has already been patched once for a nail in similar location. Truck is not really worth another 6-800 dollars for 4 new tires, as I already have one mis.atch from a torn sidewall in Nov '20.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Plugged a couple tires on my Mercedes (no spare) & had no issue.
Speed limit on the tollway by my house is 75mph, no problems there +/- a bit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15341 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I have plugged tires many times and run the full lifespan on them. As long as the plug is not on the sidewall or right at the edge I would be fine with it.

JC

Posts: 1272 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should be fine if it was done correctly and checked to make sure it isn't still leaking.
Keep an eye on it.
Look for a used tire if you don't want to spend the money on new.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have plugged tires I've driven 10s of thousands of miles. As long as it's done properly, and in the center of the tread (not on or near sidewall) it should be good for a very long time. At least until the tire itself wears out.

Posts: 2486 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Plugged quite a few tires in 50 yrs of driving but I always went to the tire shop to get a patch placed on the inside of tire. With my luck just the plug would let loose at the wrong time.

Posts: 5304 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If done properly, it'll likely outlast the tire.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I'm running on a plugged tire now with no problems.

Posts: 2223 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I would recommend having the plug repair patched on the inside. It is a better and more permanent repair. The plug might seal the leak but it might do it at one of the body plies and not necessarily at the inner liner. This will allow the casing to separate somewhere down the line. If the tires were about worn out then I’d go with the plug if it’s working. But if you are planning on running that tire for another year or two hedge your bet with a patch.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5688 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last truck had three plugs and a patch .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I once carried a spare that had a plug in it for years.

Is this a vehicle/driver that is likely to exceed 90 mph? If not, probably nothing to worry with. If so, who knows?

If there is enough worry about it, let Discount tire or another tire shop pull it off and patch it (if it is patchable), remount and balance it and never worry again.

Krazeehorse is mighty right.

Posts: 7264 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
While I've only plugged 3 tires all were driving without any worries or problems until thread depth led to new tires all around.

I know one of them was driving another 20,000 plus miles. Can't remember what the others were driving.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If the hole was in the tread area (not too close to the sidewall which is subject to flexing) and was a clean puncture and not torn up (in which case a plug will leak anyway), you're fine.

Posts: 27966 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ve run the old style push in plug for thousands of miles without issue. As long as you install it properly it’s impossible for air pressure to push it out. A mushroom plug is far better but requires a trip to the tire store. It’s made of rubber and wears at the same rate as the tire and can be damn near impossible to locate once installed.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15595 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I would recommend having the plug repair patched on the inside.

quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Plugged quite a few tires in 50 yrs of driving but I always went to the tire shop to get a patch placed on the inside of tire. With my luck just the plug would let loose at the wrong time.

That's been my practice too.

A patch at my local shop is like $9. Cheap insurance.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A lot of people have a bunch of holes punched in their bodies that have healed up just fine.

If you wrapped a person around a rim and drove them for 70 thousand miles, they would wear out in very short order.

Figuring all that, the tire should have no trouble at all going an additional 30 thousand miles.

But them again, we are comparing apples to orangutans so, everything I just said is meaningless.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43902 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I worked in a retread shop in the early 60s, did the plug repair dozens if not hundred of times.

This was the bias tires not quite into the radial construction era. It was common repair for certain kinds of damage. Marking it a 'run-out' for as long as it would last, usually for the life of the tread. On the other hand, the guy that did the buffing away prepping the outside for the recap process, would reject any casings with plugs from further retreading process.

I don't recall ever having much of a customer problem with them.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I would recommend having the plug repair patched on the inside.

quote:
Originally posted by blueye:

That's been my practice too.

A patch at my local shop is like $9. Cheap insurance.

Around here a plug is $10-15 at the small indy shops and a patch at Goodyear is $30-40. And the big shops will only do patches and most of the time they'll tell you it's too close to the sidewall even if it isn't so they can try to sell you a new tire.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10490 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to go! I think that every vehicle in my driveway has a plugged tire. If it’s on the highway, we seem to be the one to find it.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I plugged a Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire on the rear axle of our 911. It was harder than hell to get the plug into the tire, I had to take it off the car and rig up a fulcrum to get it through the belts, but it worked flawlessly and was on the car when we, very reluctantly, let the car go.

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post