SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sheel's Takeover?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheel's Takeover? Login/Join 
posted
Rumor has it that a large local gun store (with a massive internet presence) is being purchased by Scheel's. I have no idea who they are or what they sell. Can anyone enlighten me? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? My concern is that they'll be "woke" and close the indoor range.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Scheel's flagship store is in Salt Lake City. It's one of my favorite stores to visit. Woke? No. I wouldn't worry about that.

They have a massive inventory of firearms and archery equipment, along with all your standard outdoors stuff. When I finally had it with REI, I turned all my shopping for camping, outdoors gear to Scheel's as they carried everything they did but with guns.

They also have a large indoor archery range so buyers can test out their equipment before purchasing. I love me some Scheel's. If they have any tendency towards "wokism," I missed it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
We have a couple Scheels here in SoDak and they sell just about everything in the way of sporting goods. They have a well represented firearms department along with a good selection of accessories and reloading stuff. Prices are reasonable but tend to lean to the high side.

So far they have not shown any signs of 'wokeness' and they have been in business here for a long time. Off hand, I would say it will be a good thing for you.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I was in the Reno / Sparks , Nevada store 10 or 12 years ago, WOW !. 2 Story Store was big enough to have a Ferris Wheel inside. The Salt Lake store is on my list now.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Scheels is great! Your range should be ok... Their prices are decent and their firearms selection is really good. They usually have a lot of ammo available as well.
They are also family friendly and have just about every other sporting good you would need. They're one of the few large sporting goods stores that also has a great bike shop - pretty much any kind of bicycle you would want.
Owned by the Scheel family, they are also great in the local community - they built a giant youth sports complex for Baseball and Soccer.
I also haven't seen any signs of them being woke...

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3924 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
They run some good TV commercials also. After seeing their Thanksgiving 2021 commercial I wrote and thanked them for not bowing to anyone else's agenda.

This one is listed as 2019, but it is similar to last years....

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
My first introduction to this chain was Scheels in Frisco, TX. It is FANTASTIC. The more you find out, the better you like em. I wish more stores operated like Scheels.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We were big fans of Scheels when we lived in Billings, Mt. This was in the late 70’s and early 80’s. They’ve just gotten better. We visit the Salt Lake store when we are up there. You’ll like them

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I prefer them to our local Cabelas now. Ammo prices at Scheels are high for Utah. My favorite LGS is Al's Sporting Goods. A smaller Scheels but locally owned and operated. They generally have some of the best, if not the best prices around,especially if you have their friends and family discount.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Buds Gun Shop being bought out?

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can only hope. My last couple experiences with Buds convinced me to be done with them. This would be a welcome change.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
FWIW, if even that much, they'e announced building a new store in Tulsa. I'll drive the 100 miles for that.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scheel's is a regional sporting goods retailer based out of Fargo, ND. They've got a least 10-15 locations, with gigantic flagship-sized locations in Sparks, NV (Reno), Sandy, UT (Salt Lake City) and its newest in Billings, MT. They are very firearms/hunt friendly and carry the full-range of kit needed, along with a wide range of specialty and lifestyle items from a broad range of outdoor, sporting goods, and home brands. Not all locations are massive like the three previously mention.

Prior to Cabala's getting bought-out by Bass Pro, I found them to be the top-tier of large firearms and associated accessories retailer in the country; with Sportsman's Warehouse being your price-sensitive, mass market magnet. Since that buy-out, 'Bass-bela's' has been fully absorbed and the range of specialty brands that helped make Capella's distinct is no longer, whereas, Scheel's I believe has taken-over the top-spot. They carry a full-range of Simms Fishing, Mystery Ranch, Sitka and if they did wholesale, they'd carry Kuiu also; compared to Bass Pro which is fully invested in pushing their house brands over any other. They have the largest volume of inventory from Magpul, Pelican and Boyt I've ever seen in a retailer, not to mention, they had the biggest selection of BBQ accessories I've ever seen; they also are one of the few retailers allowed to sell LL Bean in non-Bean locations. I understand Patagonia recently pulled their dealership from them due to their firearms/hunting support...which is a good thing.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Concur that Scheel's is the best of the lot.
We have a great store here in Rapid City SD.

Seems employee owned companies, especially retail operations, excel.
https://www.scheels.com/about.html
"SCHEELS is an employee-owned, privately held business that owes its consistent success to its empowered associates, leaders, and partners who make decisions for their store and the entire company."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Reading Scheel's History page, wow, the company has ben around 120 years, starting out with a hardware and general merchandise store. What an American success story.

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You can only hope. My last couple experiences with Buds convinced me to be done with them. This would be a welcome change.

That is the word floating around.
Wonder if they are going to try to come to market fully in this area.
Currently the only large full coverage sporting goods store is Dick’s. So yeah there really isn’t one.
They are currently building an Academy Sports, not sure when it is set to be open.

We have a Cabelas and Sportsman’s Warehouse but I try to do all my gun stuff at the LGS.

Be interesting to see how Bud’s turns out if the rumor is true. I have not been to Bud’s in years after their last buyout really went down bill service wise.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
About the only 'controversy' I'm aware of involving our local Scheels was when it was reported that the city extended a tax break to entice them into building a location here recently. There was some pushback by a local group complaining about (continuing) wasteful city spending and giving corporate welfare to an otherwise successful company. Not sure if they kept the tax breaks or not, after they built their location here.

They are on the far end of town and I really haven't needed anything... but based on the positive feedback in this thread, and reading about them on their website, now I want to go check out their store.

Sounds like they treat both their customers and their employees pretty well. I'm almost thinking about whether it might be worth picking up a part time gig with them for the season.

From their website:

quote:

OTHER AWARDS & HONORS

2018 Forbes: America’s Best Large Employers
2019 Forbes: America’s Best Large Employers
2020 Newsweek: America’s Best Customer Service
2021 Newsweek: America’s Best Customer Service
2022 Forbes: America’s Best Large Employers
2022 Newsweek: America’s Best Customer Service
2022 Newsweek: America’s Best Retailers
2022 Newsweek: America’s Fasted Growing Online Shops
2022 Forbes: America’s Best Large Employers
2022 Forbes: Best Employers for New Graduates
2022 Forbes: Best Employers for Women
2023 Newsweek: America’s Best Customer Service

Website says they are currently running a %25 off sale on select Under Armour gear.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Scheel's buyers have been shopping at Louisville's National Gun Day gun shows for years and they are strong, well respected buyers. Have not heard about a Bud's buy-out but NGD is next w-end so the rumor mill will be churning. Scheel's would be a good fit.

NGD set up day is great, hard swinging buyers from Gun Broker vendors such as Bryant Ridge, Gunnerbucksdad, Sarah15, Sheel's, et al are hawking the tables looking for sleepers. Dickson tries to sound like a drill sergeant but he's talking on a tinny loudspeaker that sounds like rice crispies and is generally ignored. Not what is was 20 years ago but these are the new good ol days I expect.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am encouraged, thanks guys. I'm looking forward to the change, then. We have a Cabela's and a Dicks. Dicks sucks, I will not enter it. Cabela's apparently has placed a low priority on guns, and pissed my wife off badly, so they're off the list.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scheel’s rocks. Donate a lot to the areas around them. Donated money to help build our rifle range. Sponsored shoots and prizes as well. Staff that knows what they talk about(mandatory training classes by the companies of products they sell) and employees that actually give a shit. Our local one even has big name dock dog competitions in the parking lot.

You’ll be happy w/ Scheel’s over the competition.

Posts: 4057 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post