SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Travel health insurance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel health insurance Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
A friend is planning to bring his family on vacation with us, but they need travel health insurance. Could anyone suggest a good one? They can cover small stuff out of pocket, but are worried about hospitalization. I told him I knew just where to ask!

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some details would help. Are we talking international?? If they have traditional Medicare it covers throughout the United States and Canada if you get sick on the way to Alaska. They will also cover a foreign hospital if it is an emergency and it is closer than a United States facility. You can buy separate plans for limited coverage in other areas. I am sure some experts will be along shortly to provide further details.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Domestic travel, but they still need trip insurance.

posted Hide Post
Please be more specific. Health insurance and trip cancellation insurance are two different things. If they have an HMO policy with their insurance carrier they MAY have problems with out of state coverage.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My policy, as well as many others, covers us anywhere in the States. He might want to call his insurance carrier.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Any time we go on a trip we use a website called Insuremytrip.com.
This for us is mostly for when we go on cruises out of the United States however I am sure they offer insurance for all different types of travel.
You can pick the type of coverage you are looking for and they provide quotes from companies you can choose from.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2572 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
They need medical insurance for a trip. I don't know the specifics, but they spoke to their carrier and they may not be covered out of state.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
They need medical insurance for a trip. I don't know the specifics, but they spoke to their carrier and they may not be covered out of state.
Do they have a preexisting condition? If so, they better read the fine print on purchasing a policy specifically for a trip.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

They probably have some kind of managed care plan. I would talk to their current carrier and ask them what they suggest. In many instances there is out of network coverage for EMERGENCY situations.

Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
https://www.squaremouth.com

the above is a good way to get multiple quotes on travel insurance.

I used http://www.csatravelprotection.com for a trip, had a claim and they paid of promptly with little fuss or muss.

Was not a health claim, however.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I'm grateful to have a few sites to pass onto them. Thank you all for the help so far!