SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 Toyota Highlander V6 - a good vehicle ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Toyota Highlander V6 - a good vehicle ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
Is the 2017 Toyota Highlander with a V6 engine a good vehicle ? My wife will be looking at one with 38K miles, and I want to know about it in case she decides she likes or wants it.

If this is a good vehicle I would take it for a spin and to a shop for mechanical inspection before pulling the trigger.

Any advice much appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2003 Highlander with the same engine. It’s an old and pretty much bullet proof design. You should get easily 100,000 pretty much trouble free miles.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. Fantastic vehicle.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
We just got a 2019 and she loves it. Can’t speak for longevity myself, but it is a Toyota and that 3.5 V6 engine has been around forever so it is pretty tried and true.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Not a good vehicle. It’s a fantastic vehicle. We have a 2018. I believe 2017 was the first year they paired the 3.5 with the 8 speed auto. I seem to recall an issue with the shifting or something like that. It was more of a calibration issue and not a mechanical issue.

We have the XLE and I perform the maintenance myself. I put a hitch on it myself as well as weathertech mats and rain guards.

I’m happy with it. The Limited wasn’t worth the $3k charge. Often think if the hybrid would’ve been worth it.

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
We have a 2017 Hybrid and it is amazing. Our friends have the 2017 gas engine and they also love it. Great ride and good storage space. This is our third highlander and every single one has had zero issues.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
As long as the maintenance has been done in a timely and competent manner, I would buy with confidence.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
The wife has a 2012 Highlander. It now has about 175,000 miles. We've had some minor work done and it runs great. I would not hesitate to get another.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Every person I know who has a Highlander is very pleased with it. I think its a pretty proven vehicle at this point.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
People tend to hold on to them for good reason.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
We have a 2007 Hybrid Limited
Now at 207,000 miles
Best rig we have ever owned, have done all maintance and upkeep myself
It will easily go another 100,000 miles
Amsoil products used since day one

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 Highlander with 96,000+ miles and it is hands down the best car I've ever owned in the 55 years I've been driving. I'll probably replace it with another ... in 5 or so years.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Mrs 12GA’s daily driver is a 2018 Highlander and it’s been trouble-free through 20,000 miles. The few times I’ve driven it I found the V6 to be peppy with plenty of passing power. We like it.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’ve been here since 2008 and don’t know this board thinks Toyota walks on water?

Yes it’s a great vehicle.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
If it says Toyota on it and it's low mileage, that's all you need to know. They are like the HK, Sig, Glock and S&W of vehicles. I was an auto mechanic in a previous lifetime and that's the only brand vehicle I've owned for the last 30 years. I'm a fanboy. And of course YMMV. Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9368 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Wife has a 2018. Great vehicle. Extremely comfortable for long distance traveling. Plenty of storage space, as well as options for a roof rack or trailer hitch mount, if needed. It has a lot of “bells and whistles” that can be annoying: engine cutoff if you press the brake pedal hard enough at stop lights. Lane avoidance that will try to correct steering input, even if it is intentional. These can be disabled, but you have to do it every time you start the vehicle. The intuitive cruise control and the auto high/low beams are nice.

We love ours.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Excellent vehicle....no problems with ours.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great people/grocery hauler. I use my father in law's to haul a small trailer to bring in material, haul a heavy zero turn mower to the shop every so often. They get better mpg's than you would think- easy mid 20s+ on trips.

Posts: 3598 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2014. My wife loves it. I love it because she doesn’t pester me for new car. No issues.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post