SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **UPDATE** Bought the LG Ultrawide Monitor but can’t get the software to work.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**UPDATE** Bought the LG Ultrawide Monitor but can’t get the software to work. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I currently have a PC connected to 2 monitors both over 15 years old so it is time to say good bye. However my wife now has a laptop she uses quite frequently since she started her Masters. So I would like to be able to add that into the mid.

It is my understanding that this monitor has what I think is called split screen software so I won’t actually have to have 2 monitors since this wide screen monitor will act as 2 using said software.
The question is can I use the Display Port in and HDMI (1) in for the PC And then use the HDMI (2) in for the laptop.
And simply be able to swap using the input select on the monitor.

LG 34WK650-W 34" UltraWide 21:9 IPS Monitor with HDR10 and FreeSync (2018), Black/White https://a.co/87MVzQ0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If only one source is on at a time, you might not even have to hit the input button on the monitor. Otherwise yes, you can use the input button on the monitor to switch sources.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
The ability to select inputs via a button has been standard for many many years. That'll be no problem.

The phrase "split screen software" makes it sound like the monitor may be capable of displaying two different sources at the same time, which is an entirely different thing and pretty cool, if true.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
The ability to select inputs via a button has been standard for many many years. That'll be no problem.

The phrase "split screen software" makes it sound like the monitor may be capable of displaying two different sources at the same time, which is an entirely different thing and pretty cool, if true.

If you have paid attention to my computer threads you will realize I have ZERO clue when it comes to any of it.
But I THINK the software is capable of creating a dual screen setup on a single monitor even with a single input.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
******UPDATE**********
So this thing arrived the other and finally got it all hooked up. This thing provides quite a beautiful picture and boy is it a lot bigger than I had expected.

Anyway, as usual anytime I get something electronic I have nothing but issues!!
Hooked this thing up using the Display Port and and HDMI 1 to my desktop PC and wife’s Laptop to HDMI 2.
Turn on the desktop go into settings and detect the monitors and it shows monitor 1 the LG and Monitor 2 as the LG (inactive).
Flip on the wife’s Laptop and it shows on the screen but is flashing and has a bunch of green lines through it. But I can’t log in because it’s her work computer and I don’t know the password.

I download the LG On Screen Display/Split Screen app install and open it up just like the YouTube videos show and while theirs just recognize
The monitor they start going to work with the settings.

Mine says please connect an LG device and won’t pull anything up in any of those setup tabs.
I’ve tried with with both Display Port and HDMI in all the ports possible with no dice.

I can only extend the display on my wife’s laptop because it is a work computer so I can’t install software and extending the display worked just fine. Except it was flashing and had some green lines.
Not sure if her laptop graphics card just can’t push enough for both displays or if this display is just jacked up.
I don’t get any flashing or green lines with the desktop.

————————————————

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I had similar issues with a work laptop using HDMI. If your wife’s laptop has a DP output. Grab a display port switcher. You can run both devices to the DP switcher. Then tap a button to switch between the two.

I went through about x3-4 HDMI cords thinking it was a cord issue. Using a DP cord fixed the issue.

The screen was flashing on and off. Had lines running through the screen etc before using DP.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I had similar issues with a work laptop using HDMI. If your wife’s laptop has a DP output. Grab a display port switcher. You can run both devices to the DP switcher. Then tap a button to switch between the two.

I went through about x3-4 HDMI cords thinking it was a cord issue. Using a DP cord fixed the issue.

The screen was flashing on and off. Had lines running through the screen etc before using DP.

Unfortunately only has the HDMI out

————————————————

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
It is a little unclear to me... have you had the laptop logged in and fully in Windows or no?

Can you take a picture/video off the flashing/green lines? Some 'errors' like that have 'a look' about them that can be useful... it sounds like it could be a resolution/setting problem in the laptop or potentially and possibly a bad cable (though I'd not put money on that).

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a little unclear to me... have you had the laptop logged in and fully in Windows or no?

Can you take a picture/video off the flashing/green lines? Some 'errors' like that have 'a look' about them that can be useful... it sounds like it could be a resolution/setting problem in the laptop or potentially and possibly a bad cable (though I'd not put money on that).

The Laptop has only been hooked up and turned to the login screen.
Not had a chance to fiddle with it when the wife can log into it.

————————————————

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

I'd not do much until she can log in and see if that settles it down... It might just be a settings misalignment. I am confident it is a not a problem with the monitor hardware as it works ok with your machine and you've already moved the inputs around. So that isn't the issue.

You could try switching the HDMI cable from her laptop to your desktop, and your desktop to her laptop. That will likely result in no changes and, when that occurs, it rules out a bad cable.

Start there.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'd not do much until she can log in and see if that settles it down... It might just be a settings misalignment. I am confident it is a not a problem with the monitor hardware as it works ok with your machine and you've already moved the inputs around. So that isn't the issue.

You could try switching the HDMI cable from her laptop to your desktop, and your desktop to her laptop. That will likely result in no changes and, when that occurs, it rules out a bad cable.

Start there.

I am not as terribly concerned with the laptop connection as I am with not getting the Split Screen software to work on my Desktop.
I have swapped cables and inputs and it will not recognize the display and always reads input 2 as inactive no matter what.
I wanted a single monitor for no border, and not having to worry about colors matching monitors, and just one power supply.

Going to fiddle with it some more a little later but looking like 2 24” Samsung monitors are about the same price as this thing was.
May end up sending it back.

————————————————

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Any chance the laptop has Thunderbolt 3? It’ll do Display Port through the USB-C port with the right cable.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Any chance the laptop has Thunderbolt 3? It’ll do Display Port through the USB-C port with the right cable.

Nope

————————————————

Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
So the monitor works fine with your machine and the trouble is with the multiple layout functionality you want to do Black? Forgive me if I misread because it was on my phone while running around. If that’s the case have you tried a third party app instead of the included LG? These look like some good options to try out.

If multiple monitors or screen extending/arranging is of concern DisplayFusion was always my go to for that. Anything beyond a single monitor has always been a susceptible to being a little finicky so don’t get frustrated. The monitor is most probably fine.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampdog:
So the monitor works fine with your machine and the trouble is with the multiple layout functionality you want to do Black? Forgive me if I misread because it was on my phone while running around. If that’s the case have you tried a third party app instead of the included LG? These look like some good options to try out.

If multiple monitors or screen extending/arranging is of concern DisplayFusion was always my go to for that. Anything beyond a single monitor has always been a susceptible to being a little finicky so don’t get frustrated. The monitor is most probably fine.

For the most part.
I can’t get one of the HDMI inputs to work at all. But I also can’t get the LG software to work it does not recognize a the LG Display at all.

I got the wife to log into the laptop and once I went into the display settings and changed the setting from duplicate to extend the issue with the flashing and lines went away.

I’ll give some of those other screen splitting software options tomorrow.
The picture on this thing is absolutely stunning so hopefully I can get it working as I hope.

————————————————

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got the wife to log into the laptop and once I went into the display settings and changed the setting from duplicate to extend the issue with the flashing and lines went away.

Progress. I like it.

I'd deal with ensuring the HDMI input you are having trouble with is working normally before moving on to the software issues... they'll only cloud things for now.

If you have a bluray player or something not a computer, try plugging that into the HDMI input that you are unsure about and see what happens.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It seems that HDMI port is dead as I can’t get it to recognize anything plugged into it.

May actually be my stroke of luck as thanks to Black Friday it is now $70 cheaper.
Started the return on this one and the new one should arrive tomorrow at a $70 savings.

————————————————

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that HDMI port is dead as I can’t get it to recognize anything plugged into it.

May actually be my stroke of luck as thanks to Black Friday it is now $70 cheaper.
Started the return on this one and the new one should arrive tomorrow at a $70 savings.

That’s a hassle but hopefully this will work out in the end.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
New one arrived today and all the inputs work.
I did not even bother with the LG software and am using Microsoft Power Toys Fancy Zones and it is doing exactly what I wanted.

————————————————

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Glad you got it sorted.