SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycles: Bar Risers or New Handlebar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycles: Bar Risers or New Handlebar Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Got to talking with my dad over the weekend & he had listed his bike for sale (Kawasaki Vulcan S), as he gets a bit uncomfortable after about 1/2 hour. With no bites on the ad, he's decided to keep it at least through the summer & look into making it a more comfortable fit for him.

Kawasaki has their Ergo-fit system & he has the longest handlebars that are an OE option, but would still like an extra 1-2 inches back.
Similar with the foot controls, he's got the longest option there, but may look into fabbing up his own highway bars for it. Not an option he wants to pursue on the handlebars.

The Vulcan S doesn't have near the aftermarket as its V-twin siblings, so he hasn't been able to find any OE-style aftermarket bars.

Anyone have any experience with the bar risers I see on Revzilla/Cyclegear? Seems to fall into the category of a bushing style, with extended bolts; or a riser that mounts into the OE bar mount & has a separate bar mount in the riser.
Do these have any marked effect on handling, or are they about equivalent to replacement handlebars in that regard?

Riser:

Bushing style:

Alternatively, anyone have any suggestions on reputable handlebar mfgs that he could look into?

Thanks.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15357 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Rox risers (in your top photo) seem to be pretty popular in the adventure bike arena. The nice thing about them is their adjustability. Any degree of up and/or back.

There should not be any adverse handling issues with them. Don't go stacking two or more together, of any kind.

Make sure the control wires and cables are long enough to turn fully lock to lock.

Posts: 886 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I’ve never used them, but I don’t see how they would effect the handling, since you aren’t altering the geometry of the bike.

I would definitely find out if you can keep the stock brake/clutch lines, or any wiring, that may cause issues with relocating the stock controls higher, and further back.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the risers come with hardware torque specs..use them with a 3/8" torque wrench.

Just "feeling" tight enough may not be enough.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I don't think he'd considered or knew about these & he's not a fan of the majority of aftermarket 'cruiser' style replacement bars.

Posts: 15357 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I put risers on my Bonneville with no affect on handling. They gave me a slightly more upright riding position and made it more comfortable for me.

Posts: 3462 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots and lots of riders use bar risers on all sorts of different types of motorcycles with no negative impact on handling. The key to success when it comes to bar risers is making sure all cables and lines are long enough to fully turn the handlebars to the left or right after the risers have been installed. You also have to make sure the risers are tall enough or provide enough set back that they achieve the purpose of making the bike comfortable to ride. You'd be surprised how just a half inch rise can make a world of difference between the bike being comfortable or uncomfortable to ride. I've never used bar risers so I can't comment on the quality of different brands.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I put a pair like the top picture on my FJ after going to a Corbin seat. The seat moved me back on the bike a couple of inches and made reaching for the handlebars noticeable.

Stock bars with those risers and tilted back just a hair is the perfect setup for me.

I was lucky and was able to re-route things so I didn't have to change any cables, wiring or hoses.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15252 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. I'll pass this along to my dad as an option.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Get measured/fit for what riding position you want or need, *then* buy or have made some bars that have those dimensions. Height, Width, and Pullback... the rest is aesthetics and mounting style.

I've had one-off custom bars welded up and powder coated or whatever for under $200 on a handful of occasions., for ex., or there are umpteen flavors of pre-made bars.

But getting measured/fit is everything.

I dont like the adjustable ones, or risers, myself, but they work just fine.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I had risers for a SV650 Suzuki and they did help. No change in handling.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I have the Rox riser to move my bar back towards me an inch and a half so I'm not so stretched out arm-wise on my Yamaha FZ6. Works great and has never shifted or slipped once tightened down. Just make sure you have enough slack in the wires/cables for the extra length. Geenerally you should be able to get a couplr of inches of length by rearranging the wires/cables.

Posts: 4346 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another round of thanks to you all.

He's looked at the cables & thinks a re-route will give sufficient slack to not need replacements.

V-Tail, that's exactly what he's not a fan of with the majority of aftermarket bar options. Doesn't want some crazy look/position, just an OE-like option, which I think the risers would allow, since he could keep the current bars.

Edit: A new hiccup in this exercise.

The Vulcan S uses the top half of the bar clamps for the gauge cluster mount.
So, the new questions is if there is any issue with using the top clamp from the risers on the bottom & the OE top clamp on the top of the risers so he can still mount the gauges.

Can't find a good image of the mount, but it's like this

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

posted Hide Post
Looks like the bushing style might work with long enough bolts. If the kit doesn’t have long enough bolts a local industrial supply might. Actually “Fastenal” has an impressive selection and if they don’t have it they can get it.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sent you an email,

My guess is you'd be better off to get a different set of bars and use the factory mounting brackets due to the gauge setup.

As long as the bars fit the stock mounting points in width/diameter, you should be able to get the rise and pullback he needs.

At some point you'll have to change out the cables, going longer means you order stock + cables ie +1, +2 from a cable company to get the extra length.

Heres a simple article for determining what he wants, How to Measure for new Handlebars

Even though it says Harley it's the same process for a metric bike.

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I put 4", pull back risers on my C50. I originally installed them backwards to give me a little more reach, but I eventually went back to the conventional install. The did add a really cool look when on backwards.
As mentioned, cables could be an issue.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post