SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tree experts step in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree experts step in Login/Join 
posted
My neighbor has a beautiful tree that has had all the leaves on one side of it prematurely turn to fall colors. It is the same side of the tree that has what looks like some kind of fungus on the trunk. Is this tree a goner or can it be saved.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The black stuff on the trunk looks like the results of Chinese lantern flies. Is this the first year that the tree turned like this?

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
The black stuff on the trunk looks like the results of Chinese lantern flies. Is this the first year that the tree turned like this?

This is the first year it has ever done this. There is a matching tree across the street and it’s perfectly fine. The picture below is what they usually look like in late October. This picture is from 2016.

posted Hide Post
It is a goner.

Posts: 17257 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An arborist will charge you $75.00 to come out and either tell you to treat it three times at $65.00 a pop. Or it's too far gone.
he might probe it for an additional charge and then get back to you ,but I doubt it ,this is not the first year this has happened to this tree.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54679 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When this happens I shoot a pic to the County Agricultlural Agent for his two cents. No charge and he is nice.

Posts: 17257 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
An arborist will charge you $75.00 to come out and either tell you to treat it three times at $65.00 a pop. Or it's too far gone.
he might probe it for an additional charge and then get back to you ,but I doubt it ,this is not the first year this has happened to this tree.

It’s not my tree it’s the neighbors. I was just wondering what to expect. I know they won’t do anything with it.

Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
If it is a city or county street it appears to be in the Right Of Way.

Posts: 793 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Don't know your location but here in SE Michigan we have lots of trees just like that including several in my yard. I understand northern Michigan is the same.
We had a very, very dry spring & early summer. Also lots of hazy overcast days due to the smoke from the wild fires in Canada. A local tv station had a story about this being the cause.
My trees are otherwise healthy and I expect them to be fine but I am noway any kind of expert other then living in this area all my life and being around trees.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4138 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Don't know your location but here in SE Michigan we have lots of trees just like that including several in my yard. I understand northern Michigan is the same.
We had a very, very dry spring & early summer. Also lots of hazy overcast days due to the smoke from the wild fires in Canada. A local tv station had a story about this being the cause.
My trees are otherwise healthy and I expect them to be fine but I am noway any kind of expert other then living in this area all my life and being around trees.

I’m in southern Illinois. We had a pretty dry spring but nothing unusual. No wildfire related issues so I’m not sure what’s going on. It’s the only tree I have seen that has this issue. I just hope it doesn’t die because the two trees look cool in the fall as you turn the corner to our street.