SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    60 Minutes gun story
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

60 Minutes gun story Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:
A once very good show that has become a liberal cesspool

You must be at least as old as I am, to remember when they were reputable. That ended by the early 1970's, as I remember it, and that's when I stopped watching it.

I can't recall when I stopped watching it, but it was a good deal later than the 70's. Sometime in the mid- to late-80's, perhaps?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
You must be at least as old as I am, to remember when they were reputable. That ended by the early 1970's, as I remember it, and that's when I stopped watching it.

That's exactly when I stopped watching too. I suspect when I did watch, I probably missed what they were up to. I wised up.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8367 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Wow, 60 Minutes basically tried to make the argument that guns are more okay in rural states than urban areas and cities because cowboys have to shoot rattlesnakes and stuff...

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That's an old gun-banners' backstop "compromise". If they can't bring in gun control nationwide, they'll try to split up the problem. First they justify tighter gun control in urban areas and fight off state- or nation-wide preemption laws that would protect gun owners' rights in the cities and suburbs. Then they go after rural gun owners once the rural folks are isolated, alone, and defined as a "special case" that has (magically) ceased to be "special".

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Steve Kroft: “The Bill of Rights doesn’t say that anyone can walk around with a gun in their pocket or a gun in their holster or a concealed weapon... it doesn’t say that.”

I think Steve needs to look up the definition of the verb bear.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I just watched the segment. They reported nothing new.

Perhaps I am misinformed on the bill. I thought it said that if you have a carry permit in your home state, you did not need to get a carry permit in another state that requires a permit. It does not say that anyone can carry anywhere, which is what 60 Minutes and several people they interviewed kept saying.

ETA - I found the ongoing SIGforum discussion. Is this the same bill on 60 Minutes?
National Reciprocity for Concealed Carry

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
so as not to assume anything, before I call ol' Steve a putz I looked it up:

bear
ber/
verb
verb: bear; 3rd person present: bears; past tense: bore; gerund or present participle: bearing; past participle: borne

(of a person) carry.
"he was bearing a tray of brimming glasses"
synonyms: carry, bring, transport, move, convey, take, fetch, deliver, tote, lug
"I come bearing gifts"
(of a vehicle or boat) convey (passengers or cargo).
"steamboats bear the traveler out of Kerrerra Sound"
have or display as a visible mark or feature.
"a small boat bearing a white flag"
synonyms: display, exhibit, be marked with, show, carry, have
"the bag bore my name"
be called by (a name or title).
"he bore the surname Tiller"
carry or conduct oneself in a particular manner.
"she bore herself with dignity"
synonyms: conduct oneself, carry oneself, acquit oneself, act, behave, perform; formalcomport oneself
"he bore himself with confidence"
support.
"walls that cannot bear a stone vault"
synonyms: support, carry, hold up, prop up
"will it bear his weight?"

hey Steve, you're a Putz

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
They would Rather the stories be fiction, unrestrained by actual reality.

Fiction is Safer - they don't want ratings to Stahl.

GROAN....

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eponym:
.................]
It does not say that anyone can carry anywhere, which is what 60 Minutes and several people they interviewed kept saying.
[QUOTE]

That's what I heard also, and they edited the congressman to say something similar. But in the next segment they really called out Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand for being a hypocritic flipper. Good on 60 Minutes.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Watched a few minutes online.

Good to know at 18 years old you can buy and carry a handgun. Roll Eyes

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
It never dawns on them that the people committing the crimes are already breaking the law. The cited Milwaukee's increase in gun crimes and insinuated that was due to right to carry.

60 Minutes also should research the definition of "infringed".

And oh my gosh, anyone can buy and gun and get a license without a background check or test of laws or firearm proficiency.

Stupid liberal hypocrites.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I remember, as a kid, watching them blow up a Chevy truck to “prove” that side saddle fuel tanks were exceptionally dangerous.

That was Dateline.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
An FCC commissioner said many years ago that TV programming was a “vast wasteland.” 60 Minutes is just one of many reasons why that is true.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Have watched 60 minutes for more years than I care to remember. Every now and then they have decent segment. Most of them are hogwash.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that they puposely blurred the line between just anyone carrying a gun and people who are LICENSED to carry a gun and have undergone the necessary background checks, fingerprinting, etc. The defenders of the bill did not make that distinction strongly enough or if they did, it was edited out, which 60 Minutes has been known to do.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:
It never dawns on them that the people committing the crimes are already breaking the law. The cited Milwaukee's increase in gun crimes and insinuated that was due to right to carry.

60 Minutes also should research the definition of "infringed".

And oh my gosh, anyone can buy and gun and get a license without a background check or test of laws or firearm proficiency.

Stupid liberal hypocrites.

And that was a LEO talking about Milwaukee wasn't it?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, Chief of Police. So I’d gather there was political motivation to his response.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Nothing to worry about. They would Rather the stories be fiction, unrestrained by actual reality.

Well played, sir, well played indeed.

I’ll second that.

Yep, I saw it too and smiled.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
I remember, as a kid, watching them blow up a Chevy truck to “prove” that side saddle fuel tanks were exceptionally dangerous.

That was Dateline.

And a Ford?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:

That was Dateline.

And a Ford?

It was Dateline, but it was a Chevy.
https://youtu.be/KtpMzGN9uWc

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post