SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Liberty Safe Electronic Lock Working Infrequently
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liberty Safe Electronic Lock Working Infrequently Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
It often takes 3-4 tries to get into the safe. For some reason, it doesn't accept the unlocking code. This afternoon it took maybe 12 tries before I could open it.

Is there something fixable wrong with the lock? Is it possible to change it to a mechanical lock?

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Probably; Yes.

However, I don't think changing to mechanical is a "user" modification.

Not that you need to hear it, but this is why all my safes and lock boxes are mechanical. I specifically avoid electronic lock anything.

Posts: 3005 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I changed my digital electronic lock to analog dial. Worked on the first try. It's pretty involved but I had expert coaching through each step.
If it's intermittent change it asap, it only gets worse.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fucking E-locks, worthless junk in the long term. When, not if. It's gonna break.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
sounds like a pad going bad or bad battery
have you replaced the battery?

Posts: 24233 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
You're playing with fire...do not close the safe and lock it until you get this resolved. If it dies on you and won't open the safe you're going to have to have the thing drilled. Leave it open/unlocked and get it repaired.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It's the other way around. Either they break right away, or they're good to go. I had one that died very early in the safe's life. The manufacturer send a guy to crack the safe, and the door went back to the mothership. They replaced the mechanism, and it's now been good for years. BTW this is the normal MO with electronics.

And I agree with LBTRS. Leave it open for now. If you have a warranty call the manufacturer or dealer.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Fucking E-locks, worthless junk in the long term. When, not if. It's gonna break.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Warranty replaced mine at 5 years

It had history of my calls prior 2 years with same issue. No charge to me for parts or labor or extended services driving. Get upgrade mechanic al.

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
It often takes 3-4 tries to get into the safe. For some reason, it doesn't accept the unlocking code. This afternoon it took maybe 12 tries before I could open it.

Is there something fixable wrong with the lock? Is it possible to change it to a mechanical lock?

Go here to determine your lock type. There are several types of S&G locks used by Liberty.

Yes, you can have it changed to a mechanical. Not difficult but I recommend having a SAVTA tech do it.

I have replaced earlier model Z02 locks because they were flaky. The newer Titan is a better lock IMHO. The best option is a standard 6730.

I can tell you that I have several boxes full of dead electronic locks, mostly LaGard.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to update the thread in case anyone else has this issue.

I replaced the batteries and now it is working flawlessly. Opens first time every time.

I guess it was the obvious solution, but I figured if the batteries were bad, it just wouldn't work at all. Since it worked occasionally, I was thinking it must be something more complicated.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you were able to dodge that bullet.

There will never, EVER be an electronic lock in my house. Never.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I changed the electronic to manual in my liberty. It's trivial, if you can get the door skin off (screws) this is in your skill set.
The major issue is getting the correct manual lock and the price.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

Go here to determine your lock type. There are several types of S&G locks used by Liberty.

Yes, you can have it changed to a mechanical. Not difficult but I recommend having a SAVTA tech do it.

I have replaced earlier model Z02 locks because they were flaky. The newer Titan is a better lock IMHO. The best option is a standard 6730.

I can tell you that I have several boxes full of dead electronic locks, mostly LaGard.

Good advise. A "locksmith" does not equal a SAVTA technician. Most locks, electric or mechanical use fairly standard mounting points. Yes there are some variations but most consumer based security boxes use a standard retractable bolt and throw. Just treat any lock like the precision instrument that it is and you will avoid most issues. Change batteries on electric locks and have either electric or mechanical locks serviced regularly.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I replaced the batteries and now it is working flawlessly. Opens first time every time.

that's how mine started
then batteries lasted shorter & shorter
then less 'flawlessly' and more 'replacement'
then more anxiety & actually getting locked out of the danged thing missing a range match....

I'm happy with the replacement mechanical the Liberty warranty installed.

Good luck.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I had my first safe built, the safe builder talked me out of the mechanical lock. He said he had over 22 years building safes and the new electronic locks are more reliable than the new mechanical locks. I asked why and he said the new mechanicals have plastic internal parts instead of metal??
I got the electronic lock and so far after about 12 years, all is good. When I bought my Liberty safe and my sons, I made sure they had the better electronic locks. So far with those, all is good. I have had my Liberty for about 6 years.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
I bought a liberty about 6 months ago now.

At the time I researched the heck out of it and found reviews with the electronic locks not working and major drama to get it fixed.

If you get your's open. Leave it open and call in an expert to change it out for a mechanical lock.

After a few months of use I'm finally getting used to turning the combination to open without having the numbers in front of me.

I would suggest that if you need quick access, get a pistol safe for your bedside table.

Posts: 1039 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fear and loathing is WAY overblown.

My electronic lock died and froze shut after a mere 23 years. I did have difficulty with the first "safe guy" I had out. He recommended drilling, and drilled for 6 hours, FAIL! I then noticed his drill was set to REVERSE and threw him out. A member here recommended a safe guy. Said safe guy came out with a direct replacement he had in stock, attached the cabling and I was able to work the combo and open the safe. He sold me, at my request, a dual action lock with both electronic and mechanical access, different combos even. The only drawback is that it eats batteries, I get maybe three months out of one. That's ok though, I work the spin dial when it dies and that keeps everything moving.

I've been very happen with my lock, it's been a year or two now. And I didn't pop blood vessel steaming over it Big Grin.

Ok yeah, first locksmith company graciously came and re-finished the scratches the failed smith left.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Is there a recommended high quality electronic lock you can upgrade to? I have one of the Winchester safes from Tractor Supply with the Laguard lock. I like the quick access of it since its near the bedroom and my wife can easily operate it. It has been great for about 5 years now, I just change the battery every year. I'd like to upgrade to a higher quality electronic lock to minimize future issues if possible.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2599 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to upgrade to a higher quality electronic lock to minimize future issues if possible.

There are a number of websites that offer safe locks. Here's one I have no experience with this company.

I have a very basic electronic lock on my safe. It's about 10 years old. I went through a period when it was 1 year old or so where it seemed like it needed batteries every couple of months. The beeping would become very week and sometimes it would take a few tries for it to actuate. I was getting ready to call the manufacturer when I discovered it seemed loose. I pulled it out and repositioned it and that has solved that issue for the past 9 years. Don't know if a wire was loose or it was some mechanical thing. In this last 9 year period, I've replace the battery 4 times and only because I figured it was time, not because it wasn't working. I Think I might be living on borrowed time, and I'm also looking to upgrade. Either the entire safe or just a better lock.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post