SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Louisiana student accidentally applies to the wrong college
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Louisiana student accidentally applies to the wrong college Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
This is a pretty cool story

https://www.ksl.com/article/46...ed-to-the-wrong-slcc

quote:

SALT LAKE CITY — Kaitlynn Lovelady, a student at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, was looking for a change of pace when she tried to apply to South Louisiana Community College (SLCC) and found that she had accidentally applied to Salt Lake Community College instead.

Lovelady tweeted her mistake out on social media and received an unexpectedly uproarious response from Utahns. People across the state tweeted back to her, calling the mistake the best decision she has ever made.

quote:

Kaitlynn A. Lovelady
@KaitlynnLovelad
I just applied to SLCC for summer class only to realize it’s Salt Lake Community College in SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH instead of SOUTH LOUISIANA COMMUNITY COLLEGE. GOODBYE $40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of her responses came from Utah Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox, who tweeted, “Kaitlynn, we don’t know each other but trust me when I tell you that might be the best $40 you’ve ever spent.”

Salt Lake Community College also replied:

For the record, Kaitlynn, Salt Lake Comminity College and our gorgeous mountains welcome you. But if you decide to geaux (see what we did there?) to the other SLCC, we would gladly refund you for your application fee.

Lovelady’s tweet became viral and a local individual, who wished to remain anonymous, purchased her a ticket to Salt Lake City from April 12-14. They wanted to give her the chance to experience Utah for herself.

The purchaser has coordinated with Salt Lake Community College and a number of people from the state, who plan to roll out the red carpet for her arrival.

“We’re going to pull out all the bells and whistles and make sure she gets to see all of campus and our facilities,” Sarah Reale, the director of digital marketing for SLCC, told KSL.com. “We’re going to plan on having a bunch of resources and things available for her so when she comes she can experience what it’s like at Salt Lake Community College.”

The two SLCCs are now competing with each other via social media using the hashtags: #RecruitKaitlynn and #KeepKaitlynninLA.

Reale called the lighthearted rivalry “a friendly and supportive interaction” between two community colleges who both are all about access and support for students.

“I think it’s all a really fun and cool story about a community coming together, a student having the opportunity to see a place she’s never been to, and everyone just kind of rallying behind this student’s goals in higher education,” Reale said.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
That is a good story. Smile

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a lighthearted chuckle; I could use those more often!

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12792 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Lol! Just what I needed today

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
That is a feel-good story and the lighthearted competition between the two CCs is great PR for both of them.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1313 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. Thanks for posting. Smile

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Great story for sure. We need more like it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Two institutions of learning trying to attract a prospective student who can’t even get the name of a college right doesn’t strike me as uplifting. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Lighten up, Francis! Big Grin

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Lighten up, Francis! Big Grin

Indeed!

Having been in Salt Lake several times, I can assure the young lady she would be impressed by the city itself, plus all those friendly Utah residents. Very lovely state and lots to do!

Given her choice I firmly believe I would take the Salt Lake choice!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Maybe off the subject, but it's still related.

I live in Richmond Virginia (aka Baltimore-lite).

A while back, I was having trouble with utility bills, property tax, or some crap and kept trying to get help from the phone numbers listed on my city's web site. I kept getting answering machines with an infinite number of branches or in those rare instances when I got to a real person they were as dumb as a can worms and about as useful as fucking goldfish. After an hour or so of this shit, an intelligent, pleasant woman answered my call. Astonished, I explained my problem to her and she laughed.

Her: You're in Virginia, aren't you?
Me: Well yea, aren't you.
Her: No, this is Richmond Kentucky. We get these calls all the time. I don't know why y'all have our number listed.
Me: I think I know. It's the only way these douche nozzles could think of to let me speak with an intelligent, pleasant person. If I'm ever over that way, can I buy you a drink or three?
Her: Sure, sweetie. You've got my number.

I ain't making this up; it really happened.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Got to watch those coonass girls

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
Cool story. Thanks for sharing it.

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
It's a nice story, but this girl has to be dumb as rocks.

I'm not even sure how this can happen without being mentally handicapped or so lazy and disinterested in applying to a college that she missed this little detail.

I bet she can't change a light bulb.

And yes, it's neat how Utah is handling it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post