SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Racist teen/prom dress/cultural appropriation- a happy ending
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racist teen/prom dress/cultural appropriation- a happy ending Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Maybe for some (like liberals), claiming to be offended is the only game they have.

That’s obvious to me, plus they’re all natural bullies. A bully is a person who can harass someone else without fear of any consequences. We usually think of bullies in a physical sense, i.e., the big kid who knows that the little kid can’t hurt him in response, but the new bullying is widespread acceptance of the notion that anyone can be offended by whatever remotely touches on gender, ethnicity, culture, or virtually anything else concerning the individual. And of course the Internet makes it possible to bully without risk of being punched in the nose.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Good for her.

Here’s my granddaughter. Let’s see how many people she can offend.

Love that smile. What a cutie!

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Here's my little cutie, engaged in a bit of her own "cultural appropriation."

She is adorable!

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Maybe for some (like liberals), claiming to be offended is the only game they have.

That’s obvious to me, plus they’re all natural bullies. A bully is a person who can harass someone else without fear of any consequences....

Sidenote. I was the skinny timid kid in high school, the school bully would harass me every day in woodshop. My cousin came to live at our home, a year younger, twice my size, a farm boy (ie, well worked muscles). He became a tackle on our HS football team (that took the state championship). Seems the bully and my cousin did a "one on one" drill for linemen. The bully got his hind-end handed to him, spent most of the time breathing mud, never bothered me again. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Actually wooden shoes can be seen in Germany also in the East Friesian areas of the North. Ground is so soft, peat and marsh that they actually serve a purpose like a boat displacing water

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Wooden shoes is Dutch, not German.

Now, you see: Historical ignorance and cultural insensitivity. Go sit away from everyone else in the diversity corner. Wink

It’s believed that wooden shoes were once common throughout Europe. The word sabotage comes from the French sabot (“shoe”) and reportedly referred to disrupting a mechanical action by tossing a wooden shoe into the works. A pair of plastic Crocs wouldn’t have the same effect.

Posts: 3790 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Folks,

This is why in the future there are unitards.

^^^^^^^^^
DO NOT POST THE UNITARD MEME!!! Wink

Posts: 12585 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Good for her.

Here’s my granddaughter. Let’s see how many people she can offend.

Other than my kids, she is the cutest kid EVER!

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
My wife's parents both came over from China, so she is just about as Chinese-American as you can get. Neither she nor her mom give two shits about this girl wearing that dress.

Now, I have seen some people saying, "Oh, it was the hand gesture in the one picture that was really the problem!" Not sure why though. Is there a stereotype that Chinese ladies do the praying-hands thing? Or was it the odd gangsta'-style hand gesture the guys were making that was supposed to be mean to asians? Usually I can at least get some idea what folks have decided to be mad about, but I still haven't figured this one out.

- Bret

Posts: 2476 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would me wearing my Karate Gi be cultural appropriation?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Folks,

Help me out here, please. I admit I am behind the curve on this. Does "unitard" mean a university educated retard or someone so exceptionally stupid that they stand alone?

Posts: 117 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:
quote:
Folks,

Help me out here, please. I admit I am behind the curve on this. Does "unitard" mean a university educated retard or someone so exceptionally stupid that they stand alone?

Nope, nothing of the sort. It's the one piece clothing of the future.

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Folks,

Neither. It's a piece of clothing. Think Star Trek uniform. A stretchy, form-fitting, one-piece garment that you can generally fit onto anyone. Or put another way, it's like a Gymanstics leotard with full legs and arms.

Also, for the love of god, don't Google image search unitard. 90% of the results will be fine, but that other 10%...well, you will need the eye-bleach.

- Bret

Posts: 2476 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
quote:
quote:
Folks,

Neither. It's a piece of clothing. Think Star Trek uniform. A stretchy, form-fitting, one-piece garment that you can generally fit onto anyone. Or put another way, it's like a Gymanstics leotard with full legs and arms.

Also, for the love of god, don't Google image search unitard. 90% of the results will be fine, but that other 10%...well, you will need the eye-bleach.

- Bret

Think Marina Sirtis/Deanna Troi Wink

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post