SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deal Alert for BBQ & Grilling Fans - 40% off Thermoworks Smoke
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deal Alert for BBQ & Grilling Fans - 40% off Thermoworks Smoke Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
My tried and true leave-in BBQ temperature probe, Thermoworks Smoke, is on sale for $59.40 which is about 40% off. I've been recommending it for years as it's superior to the my old Maverick in every way (thinner temperature probes, higher temp temperature probes, probe lifespan, accuracy, distance transmitted, etc).

I paid $99 for it in Nov '19.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I have a Thermapen Classic and this will be a nice addition.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine, and great using it in the oven with big cuts of meat as well.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
Love mine, and great using it in the oven with big cuts of meat as well.
Me too. It's awesome whether it's a thick cut of meat, thin cut of meat (something the Maverick couldn't do), indoor, outdoor, etc.

I was actually getting ready to reverse sear something, and I couldn't remember the maximum probe temperature. I looked it up on their site and discovered the sale.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Tatortodd

Would this be a nice addition if you're going to get a smoker with temperature probes already? I don't have a smoker or a grill but am planning to get a smoker.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It depends on the capability of the smoker's temp probes. Specs to think about:
  • Does it have remote from 300 feet line of sight? Bluetooth sucks so you want something with a real transmitter like the smoke (2.4 GHz) or something that reliably and easily gets on wifi (more on this later). My Smoke will go through my brick walls all the way to the other end of my house to my home office or will go all the way to the cul-d-sac where I'm bs'ing with the neighbors.
  • Are the probes rated -58 to 572 deg F?
  • Are the probes +/- 1.8 F? Not being accurate can mean the difference between medium rare perfection and blah steak.
  • Is the scan rate 20 seconds? Something scanning less frequently can once again mean the difference between medium rare perfection and blah steak.
  • Does it have options for needle probes? These things are great for things like salmon fillets which were impossible with my old Maverick. They're also so rugged that I used them for everything.
  • What's the replacement cost of the probes and are they available? Thermoworks are readily available and $19.

I have a BBQ guru which is add-on universal temperature controller, and it has the option for both meat probes and wifi. The wifi is a PITA and the meat probes are 1.5x the cost of the Thermoworks and not as rugged. When my Maverick died, I tried to get by with the BBQ Guru but I quickly decided it was too much of PITA so I bought the Smoke. The BBQ Guru just gets used to control pit temperature, and frankly could get by with a much less expensive controller.

•  
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    Can this be used in a regular kitchen oven?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    ^^ Yes.

Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    Can this be used in a regular kitchen oven?

I used it in mine & it worked great. As long as you keep the lead from direct contact with elements & such

I think I paid 99 for mime as well, late last year
    Edit: $55 when I bought mine in early Dec 22.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Trophy Husband
    Picture of C L Wilkins
    posted Hide Post
    I have a Thermoworks Smoke as well. I have ZERO complaints. I love the remote feature and I do use it also in the kitchen oven along with in the backyard with my smoker. It is a game changer and is worth every penny.

One thing that came to light using it is that my kitchen oven temperature was close. What helped with this was to put a pizza stone in the oven. This dampens any temperature swing and helps maintain a more constant temperature.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of IndianaMike
    posted Hide Post
    Is the link a trusted Vendor.

Posts: 1600 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Smarter than the
    average bear
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by IndianaMike:
    Is the link a trusted Vendor.

Yes. They are the manufacturer and they sell direct. I also highly recommend their products.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post