SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need home rowing machine recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need home rowing machine recommendations Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
My wife wants a rower for the house, about $1000 budget. Who has one and/or what do you recommend?

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is the make and model you will see in almost every gym:

Concept 2 Model D $900

I have one, they are very reliable, and easy to maintain. I use the one at the gym more however.

Others will be on to contribute their opinions; the alternative is a water rower; I've never tried those.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a water rower for 5 years and it is working like new. It is nice and quiet too.

Rich -
P226R 9MM
P239 .40 / .357
S&W 340 PD
S&W 1911DK
SA Saint Edge Ar
Buckmark Camper

Posts: 62 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: March 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
I just sold a WaterRower. It was a wonderful rowing machine, but I just didn’t like rowing very much as an exercise. The wood construction and water sounds made it a nice experience.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Concept 2 Model D $900

I have one, they are very reliable, and easy to maintain. I use the one at the gym more however.

Others will be on to contribute their opinions; the alternative is a water rower; I've never tried those.

I have one of these as well. I spend about 45 minutes a day on it when I’m in town.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have this, the whole unit feels like your actually rowing,the Concept is nice also but this gives me a natural feel. https://www.waterrower.com/us/...cEAQYASABEgIFAvD_BwE

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have lots of hours on the two top rowers. Water Rower and the Concept2.

Water Rower HANDS DOWN and here is why.

The Concept2 provides an excellent workout and is a fantastic MACHINE but it is just that a machine and you feel like you are rowing a machine. It very much feels like you are working out and for me that can tiresome and I find myself having to push myself for longer workouts.

The Water Rower on the otherhand is a very pleasant true rowing experiance and feels far less like you are working out. The water resistance is smoother and more natural, the gentle sound of the water (if you aren’t using ear buds) helps break the monotony. The water rower’s saddle is also much more comfortable for me others butt’s results will likely vary.

The same workout is provided by both as long as you put the effort into it.

I think the Water Rower Club with Hi Rise is the best choice for the home tower. It is a beautiful piece for your home gym or even just out in your living room. A very high quality piece of equipment. I am 6’2” so the hi rise makes it so much easier to get on and off.

WaterRower Club Rowing Machine w/ S4 Monitor & Hi Rise Attachment https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018..._api_i_EsbmCbFKRT2KR

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concept 2 is an exceptionally well made machine.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I have used a Concept 2 for 5 on years and really like it. Never used a water rower so can't compare the two. But, I guess I would recommend the Concept 2, it's easy to use and their customer service is top notch.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Concept 2 Model D $900

I have one of these as well. I spend about 45 minutes a day on it when I’m in town.

I have this also and love it. Just under your budget, built to last, and provides a great workout.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
As a former collegiate rower, I’d go concept 2.

It’s an effective torture device. Wink

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Concept 2 and really like it; like others have said it's a great "machine". I was able to try a Waterrower prior to buying. I really wanted to like it, but it was less comfortable (for me) since the foot rests position your feet closer together. It felt more confining for someone with (ahem) larger thighs.

Les

Posts: 6 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I have the Water Rower Club model.
Smooth, quiet, effective.
No problems.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Concept 2 is durable, easy to
Maintain. Love it

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Another vote for c2. I do a 10K every Sunday as a “rest day”. Ususally in the 47-50 minute range.

Best 5K is 20: and change.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8855 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Concept 2. It’s what we used when I was on the crew in college. In fact, it’s what EVERYONE used. Check out some video from the Crash B sprints.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Water Rower by far the best

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I use the concept 2 at the gym four days a week and have no complaints. I’ve used C2’s at other places as well and they are very consistent.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15588 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a Concept 2 for 4.5 years, used one in the gym for 8 years before buying one for the home. We store it disassembled in a corner of the dining room and wheel it out to the living room and row while watching TV almost daily. I know several people who rowed in college, they all say they had Concept 2s in their training facilities.

Never tried a water rower.

Posts: 977 | Location: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post