SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:

Interesting article, well worth the lengthy read.

Thanks for that - I had initially skipped over that wall of text but it IS interesting.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12346 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read an article about an antiviral drug that failed to cure HIV and is essentially the same as the new Gilead drug, that is now being made by the Chinese as a cure for FIP, which until recently was considered 100% fatal.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
10 weeks or so into this thing, with our training business shut down for 3 months and maybe more. Our daughter is a physician who studied pandemics in history, and we are taking her advice to self isolate. Grocery store, feed store, hardware store, pharmacy are our limits. My wife and I are high risk and I am not afraid to tell you this thing scares the crap out of me because we seem to be prime target for this virus. We feel pretty safe out here on the ranch, we are going to wait and see a little longer once the restrictions are loosened.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife and I are high risk and I am not afraid to tell you this thing scares the crap out of me because we seem to be prime target for this virus. We feel pretty safe out here on the ranch,...

HayesGreener,
I don't know your age or risk profile, but it's great that you live on a ranch, because it's population density that is causing rapid spread, wiping out older folks in nursing homes. Stay safe.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23931 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Why would you be wronged or insulted for wearing a mask if you were sick?

... ...

If you're sick, I hope you either completely isolate until you're no longer sick, or just wear a mask.

When you are sick, can we make you wear a special symbol with your mask? So we can see you are a sick person?

I mean, it's for my safety.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Suggest a special symbol for us. Skull and cross bones seems over the top.

Posts: 17169 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. And I ain't wearing no fucking mask for nobody.

Hate me all you want. It's all the power you got, and it does not move me one damned bit.

Never has, never will.

Life ain't worth living if your not willing to die to have it.

I thought that sounded familiar.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

This fails to take into consideration that either subject will be wearing piss filled pants all day rather than changing them to disinfected or one time use pants after each breach of the bladder. Stupidity is washing a condom and reusing it, this is the same thing......

......Prove me wrong.

Posts: 2026 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
<snip>
I'm not wearing it to walk or be outside, and definitely not in the car Roll Eyes

Only if I'm going into a bank ... (Kentucky is open carry.)! Razz

Posts: 2537 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Case in point- I had an armored from a nearby department inspect my P365 to sign off on it for duty carry a little over 2 weeks ago. He “had a cold” he got from another officer there, and was wearing a mask as a precaution. This past Friday I learned his entire office staff tested positive for Covid-19. I appear to have dodged it, which I attribute to the mask.

Or- you have had it, or got it, and are part of the 80+ percent of people who will not show any symptoms- and the mask did not make any difference. Have you been tested?

Glad you're ok.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:

......Prove me wrong.

I'm not sure what you want me to prove you wrong about.

If some guy in the line behind me is an asymptomatic carrier, I could care less if he reuses the 'pants'. The idea is that the vast majority of the 'piss' is in his pants and I stay dry and go about my day happy as can be.

If he chooses not to wear a mask and coughs on me and I get 500 virus particles in me vs 10,000 because it provides some minimal protection, then my body has more time to make antibodies as it replicates. Let's say 1,000,000 virus particles are needed to have a bad effect (made up numbers).

500, 1,000, 2,000, 4,000, 8,000, 16,000, 32,000, 64,000, 128,000, 256,000, 512,000, 1,028,000.

10,000, 20,000, 40,000, 80,000, 160,000, 320,000, 640,000, 1,280,000.

12 cycles of reproductions vs 8 cycles. You body has more time to fight off illness, and when it does hit the 1m virus load it's barely crossed it vs being 28% over that made up threshold.

I'm not telling you to wear pants/masks, just an illustration of why they are helpful in cutting the spread of diseases. In Asian countries it's normal to wear a mask in public if your sick. The reason for that is to stop spread or lower the amount of people who get sick.

As far as the efficacy of reusing condoms, I can't say how effective it would be, but I'm not going to try it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Depends on the mask.

All masks provide a measure of protection. Some better than others.

Right. “A measure” are the key words.

Requiring them for all people is asinine.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
just an illustration of why they are helpful in cutting the spread of diseases. In Asian countries it's normal to wear a mask in public if your sick.

'

Right.

So if you're one of the 99% of the people who are not sick AND are NOT coughing and sneezing, what is the bandanna doing exactly? Aside from making you look like an 1800's bank robbery suspect?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15688 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aside from making you look like an 1800's bank robbery suspect?

It's a virtue-signaling fashion statement!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23931 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
People don't wear pants because everyone is going around pissing on each other. Absurd. People wear pants in public out of a sense of modesty.

If one really wants to make that ridiculous comparison to men and women wearing pants, people wearing masks is more akin to Muslim women covering their faces in order to conform and appease the sensibilities of their male muslim counterparts.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
If one really wants to make that ridiculous comparison to men and women wearing pants, people wearing masks is more akin to Muslim women covering their faces in order to conform and appease the sensibilities of their male muslim counterparts.

Cool - I think all virtue signaling men should wear burkas.

I'm fine with that. Just take the whole thing off when you get home, that way you guys won't need to strip down, wash you feet, etc.

I mean, if it saves one life, you should do it - just until things "level out" or we "turn the corner".... or maybe you don't care about anyone but yourself.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Sweet, the burka is the new MOPP 4. Smile

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do the burkas come in other colors?? You know Hot Pink or Psychedelic?

Posts: 17169 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Do the burkas come in other colors?? You know Hot Pink or Psychedelic?

Looks like a great business opportunity for anyone in textiles / clothing or PPE!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
10 weeks or so into this thing, with our training business shut down for 3 months and maybe more. Our daughter is a physician who studied pandemics in history, and we are taking her advice to self isolate. Grocery store, feed store, hardware store, pharmacy are our limits. My wife and I are high risk and I am not afraid to tell you this thing scares the crap out of me because we seem to be prime target for this virus. We feel pretty safe out here on the ranch, we are going to wait and see a little longer once the restrictions are loosened.

No offense, but that doesn't sound like self-isolation to me.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post