SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
The spreading panic is the real panDEMic here. And the people really being hurt by all this have no say in it.

Utah State University to cancel all events and travel as precaution to coronavirus -
https://www.fox13now.com/news/...ution-to-coronavirus

Just got email from my alma mater and they have cancelled classes for the semester and will be rolling out online classes by the 23rd.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
To respond to 46 and 2:

I am a cardiologist, so also trained in internal medicine...

Based on what you have read and have been able to observe about this virus so far, are we overreacting with the university shutdowns, the NCAA fan cancellations, etc?

IMO, no. Anything you can do to flatten the peak of the curve of new infections is a good idea. Like surfing, a sharp, high peak is harder to ride than a long, low swell.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32031 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
To respond to 46 and 2:

I am a cardiologist, so also trained in internal medicine...

Based on what you have read and have been able to observe about this virus so far, are we overreacting with the university shutdowns, the NCAA fan cancellations, etc?

If you don't want to end up like Italy I (electrician) think it's smart to limit exposure until we can get a grip on the situation. Italy is now triaging patients and considering turning away the sick that have low probably of recovery. We are ~10 days behind them, fun stuff to follow.

Look up exponential growth.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I am naturally an introverted extrovert. And a bit of a germaphobe.

Quite antisocial, but capable of faking it spectacularly for short bursts.

I just worked 22 of the last 23 days/nights.

I'm planning to hermit for the next 7, except for a ham convention and getting the kiddos for the weekend.

Hopefully I don't catch Batflu. But I fully expect to, living where I do and doing what I do. Oh well.

But holy shit this is all getting annoying.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The point of all these measures now, when coronavirus is NOT a huge problem in the US, it to try to keep it from BECOMING a huge problem - or, failing that, to slow it down enough for our healthcare system to keep up.

The more effective we are at containing and/or slowing the spread now, the better things will be later.

It is entirely possible that current measures will make what would otherwise have been a very bad situation not so bad - causing a lot of people who don't understand that to look back and say, "this wasn't so bad, we didn't really need to do all that stuff."

To make an analogy, it's like there's a big flood, and your house would have flooded, except you put out a bunch of sandbags. You don't say, "well, my house didn't flood, so I didn't really need those sandbags."

We don't actually have enough data yet to really know how bad coronavirus would get without doing what we can to slow it down. It might end up being fine even if we don't do anything (although that seems unlikely at this point). But we have enough data to know that there's enough of a chance that it could get very, very bad that we should act based on that possibility.

I guess the summary of all that is that on a surface level, the better we do now, the less necessary it will look later.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
It is entirely possible that current measures will make what would otherwise have been a very bad situation not so bad - causing a lot of people who don't understand that to look back and say, "this wasn't so bad, we didn't really need to do all that stuff."

Exactly—as we have seen time and again.
To cite just one example of many, Ebola hasn’t spread all over the world (yet) in part because it has been treated as the very serious disease that is. And that’s why people here in this country can make jokes about it while people in Africa lost thousands of loved ones and are still feeling its effects.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47698 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
And to reiterate, the real danger of coronavirus is not the likelihood of any one person dying from getting it.

The real danger is that based on current estimates of the rate of spread, it is within the realm of possibility that in six to eight weeks, there could be ten million active cases in the US, completely overwhelming our health care system.

The goal of all the steps being taken now is to try to make sure that doesn't happen.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4177 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
SEC:
quote:
We are evaluating plans for the remainder of the tournament. More to come.

Bet each major conference follows suit into crazy land.

I'm wondering why you find this "crazy?" By all accounts SARS-CoV-2 is nearly twice as infectious, and Covid-19 3-1/2 times as deadly, as the seasonal flu.

So... what? Just let it run wild and let the bodies fall where they may?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
My mom is in an assisted living facility in central Iowa. They just enacted a policy today where nobody is allowed under 18, and anyone else except employees are not allowed unless it is critical, or the resident is on hospice, etc. Those that come in have to fill out a questionnaire and get their temperature taken.

However, all of the staff is from African countries. I don't know what restrictions they placed on them.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be tuned in at 9:00 Eastern time to hear the President give us the latest. I'm set to stay at home (mostly) for perhaps 10 days if needed, but given we're not islands unto ourselves my church (and no doubt other groups) are beginning to consider identifying healthy or stronger members to serve and look in on those who may be ill.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First 15:00 covers a bunch, with Michael Osterholm Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

Also covers issues for deer hunters, pertaining to Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) and Lyme Disease

Posts: 15069 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
And to reiterate, the real danger of coronavirus is not the likelihood of any one person dying from getting it.

The real danger is that based on current estimates of the rate of spread, it is within the realm of possibility that in six to eight weeks, there could be ten million active cases in the US, completely overwhelming our health care system.

The goal of all the steps being taken now is to try to make sure that doesn't happen.

Good advice above and it is the same narrative my brother in law ,who is a MD primary care in North Carolina gave to me.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I wonder if successful implementation of the virtual classes will undermine b&m classes and lead to their demise (more quickly than was probably inevitable anyway). Shut down buildings. Save the carbon footprint. Decrease the number of maintenance and support personnel.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5721 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
The spreading panic is the real panDEMic here. And the people really being hurt by all this have no say in it.

Utah State University to cancel all events and travel as precaution to coronavirus -
https://www.fox13now.com/news/...ution-to-coronavirus

That is nothing a college here shut it down 100% what your grade is now is what you got, must move out by the weekend.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/...rticle241058621.html

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25686 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:
Here we go.

Wednesday, March 11, Gov. Inslee imposed restrictions on large gatherings in Pierce, King, and Snohomish counties through March 31 to limit spread of COVID-19.

Please cancel gatherings of 250 or more people for social, spiritual and recreational activities including, but not limited to:

• Community.
• Civic.
• Public.
• Leisure.
• Faith-based.
• Sporting events.
• Parades.
• Concerts.
• Festivals.
• Conventions.
• Fundraisers.
• Similar activities.

If you need planning support or resources, call 1 (855) 722-5378.

Visit Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department at tpchd.org/coronavirus for information

Coronavirus is a group of viruses that includes the common cold. If you’ve ever had a runny nose, cough or sore throat, you've likely had a form of coronavirus.
tpchd.org

Can’t wait for my first “There is a large gathering of people” 9-1-1 call. Won’t they be surprised when they are told there is nothing we can do about it and give them the number to the public health department.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11224 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
So with the National Guard being deployed to work the “containment zone” around New Rochelle NY, is anyone else curious or has anyone heard if the Guardsmen will be carrying weapons?

I am kind of surprised no one in the media has asked the question and can’t seem to find anything on google about it....

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11224 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I understand - the Chinese discovered this virus was "in the wild" in late November, 2019.

In Mid December 2019 - tens of thousand of Chinese college students in America returned home to China.

In January - millions of Chinese traveled to Las Vegas, a huge destination point during the Chinese New year.

In mid-January 2020 - those same tens of thousands of Chinese students returned to the US to resume college.

So this virus has been here in the US since mid-January?

I don't have a science degree or predictive model to illustrate the logic above - but shouldn't the spread here in the US be much further ahead than where we are being told it is after being here in the US for the past 8-weeks?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
So I understand - the Chinese discovered this virus was "in the wild" in late November, 2019.

In Mid December 2019 - tens of thousand of Chinese college students in America returned home to China.

In January - millions of Chinese traveled to Las Vegas, a huge destination point during the Chinese New year.

In mid-January 2020 - those same tens of thousands of Chinese students returned to the US to resume college.

So this virus has been here in the US since mid-January?

I don't have a science degree or predictive model to illustrate the logic above - but shouldn't the spread here in the US be much further ahead than where we are being told it is after being here in the US for the past 8-weeks?

Got a link for that? I don't think there is even millions of hotel rooms in Las Vagas...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
So with the National Guard being deployed to work the “containment zone” around New Rochelle NY, is anyone else curious or has anyone heard if the Guardsmen will be carrying weapons?

I am kind of surprised no one in the media has asked the question and can’t seem to find anything on google about it....

If it saves one life, bro.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37190 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post