SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
You guys can catch Isles or Canes easily.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20939 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll take over my section of the state formerly known as Florida and reset society. (sarcasm)

^^^^^^^^^
RHINOLAND. Better than Lake Wobegon.

Posts: 17375 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the thread drift...

Even if the Jackets don't make it in, Tortorella should be the coach of the year considering what he has done with what amounts to as an AHL team.

I am proud of what our boys have done with so many man-games lost.

Back to the modern plague talk now...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Let's Go Blues!
OK... Back to the modern plague talk now...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24323 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
But.... Hockey > TEOTWAWKI

Go Caps!

OK, I promise I'm done now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20939 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The BIG assumption on COVID-19 is that we have a very accurate picture of the number infected.

We don't. Just like we don't have an accurate picture of the damage a storm may do before the storm's come and gone. But we still take precautions when indications suggest a violent storm approaches. Or some of us do.

quote:
... (i.e., if you have non-identified infected who get it mildly, self treat and don't die, you aren't counting legitimate 'survivors' of COVID-19, which makes the mortality rate artificially elevated).

You mean like many people who come down with the seasonal flu do? Perhaps even most?

The only times I've ever seen the doctor when getting sick is if it's resulted in an infection, so I can get antibiotics. That's happened only a couple times in my nearly seventy years.

If we can assume roughly the same percentage of those afflicted with Covid-19 report as those afflicted with the average seasonal influenza, then the comparisons between the two are valid. I've seen nothing to suggest that's not the case.

Even if they're off by 2:1, that still makes SARS-CoV-2 kind of scary.

quote:
In the end, the MSM is just looking for an axe to grind ...

Yeah, it's all a plot by the dominant media. Soros probably has something to do with it, too.

quote:
...and I wouldn't take Chinas death rate numbers at anything.

I guess you feel the same about Italy's reported numbers? Numbers from a couple days ago yielded a CFR of 5%. That would be fifty times the CFR for seasonal influenza. Most estimates place it from 1% to 3.4%. That would be ten to over thirty times that of seasonal flu. (Seasonal influenza hovers around 0.1%.)

Am I buying into any of those CFR numbers? Not really. Nor, particularly, the R0 estimates. I kind of regard much of the current information as alike the information we first hear about most mass shooting events: Wildly inaccurate to downright false. But I have seen enough (see previous bulleted lists I've posted) to make me wary.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This just in: The word "marklar" has been replaced by "coronavirus"

My dad used to say "What's an 'expert'? 'X' is an unknown factor and a spurt is a drop under pressure," and I'd say "That doesn't make any sense, dad."

It still makes no sense but neither does the Panicky Cattle Planet formerly known as Earth.

I couldn't get a bottle of rubbing alcohol at the grocery store. They had signs up- sold out and no estimate of restock. Roll Eyes

Posts: 108262 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Ok Rhino how Far East do you plan to control after the burn out?
You have the monkey, Hayes greener and myself over this way. Maybe control to hey 87 and the 3 of us can have over to 231.
That work for you?

Posts: 1243 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Marklar

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have cases and cases of N95 masks in my warehouse at work. I think it's time to begin taking advantage of the ignorant masses and start selling them to anyone who is willing to pay me $20 apiece for them.
A fool and his money...... Big Grin

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This just in: The word "marklar" has been replaced by "coronavirus"

My dad used to say "What's an 'expert'? 'X' is an unknown factor and a spurt is a drop under pressure," and I'd say "That doesn't make any sense, dad."

It still makes no sense but neither does the Panicky Cattle Planet formerly known as Earth.

I couldn't get a bottle of rubbing alcohol at the grocery store. They had signs up- sold out and no estimate of restock. Roll Eyes

An expert is a past tense high pressure water leak.

Posts: 6970 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I have cases and cases of N95 masks in my warehouse at work. I think it's time to begin taking advantage of the ignorant masses and start selling them to anyone who is willing to pay me $20 apiece for them.

Right now you could get more than 20 bucks a piece for them. Those things are better than a winning lottery ticket.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3992 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's go to the Global Death Board, brought to you by Bud Light and Stay Free Maxi-Pads. How are the numbers looking right now?

And don't forget to mark your calendars for the March 28th Fantasy Coronovirus Bowl! Win an all-expense paid trip to an unspecified location on the Asian continent...

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Houston just shutdown the Rodeo 11-days early (Link). To put this in perspective, The Rodeo is Houston’s (aka 4th largest city in the country) largest festival with big name concerts every night for 20 nights plus fair and rodeo.

Houston metropolitan area is 6 counties and larger than Connecticut. Montgomery County is the northern suburbs (eg The Woodlands) and it has had its first Corona virus case. The man has not traveled anywhere (ie suspected of acquiring it in Houston) but he did attend the Rodeo. I suspect this is a driver for shutting down early. Link

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23442 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Houston just shutdown the Rodeo.

Shit just got serious.

Big Grin

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh, common cleanliness / hand washing has nothing to do with patriotism...

Its common fucking sense; well it was before everyone got a trophy, so Hero of the United States Medals for all my friends!

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16861 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Ok Rhino how Far East do you plan to control after the burn out?
You have the monkey, Hayes greener and myself over this way. Maybe control to hey 87 and the 3 of us can have over to 231.
That work for you?

We will be good neighbors to the north in Herkland. That is, unless you start shipping pythons (reptile version, not colt version) north. That would be cause for war!

*Feel free to ship as many colt pythons as you can in my direction!

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1541 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Right now you could get more than 20 bucks a piece for them. Those things are better than a winning lottery ticket.

There will be a discount to fellow forumites. Wink

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

PERT..........................................EX-PERT

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31598 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
“If you’re prepared, you’re not afraid,”

ARCADIA (CBSLA) – Gun sales are skyrocketing across the San Gabriel Valley as Asian Americans in the area fear they may be targeted because of their ethnicity amid rising fears about the spread of the coronavirus.

Liu said many of his customers are afraid they may be targeted because of their ethnicity if a local outbreak of coronavirus occurs. (credit: CBSLA)

David Liu, the owner of Arcadia Firearm & Safety, said his store has been very busy in recent weeks. Liu said he’s seen as many as 10 times more customers than usual come through the doors of his business.

“Because of coronavirus, a lot of people start to worry,” he said.

The area has a high concentration of Asian Americans, and Liu said many of his customers are afraid they may be targeted because of their ethnicity if a local outbreak of coronavirus occurs.

“I do worry,” said Daniel Lim, who recently bought a gun for his wife at Arcadia Firearm & Safety.

Lim said he wants his family to be able to defend themselves, and he fears coronavirus may spark a financial crisis that leads to social disorder.

“I hope and pray it never happens,” he said.

Lim isn’t alone in thinking that buying a firearm may help him in the event of coronavirus-related attacks.

“We think it’s the perfect time to get a weapon for ourselves,” said another customer, Dirk Zhang, adding that his wife would never allow a handgun in their home until now.

“She’s a little afraid of the outbreak of the virus,” he said.

Liu is taking steps as a storeowner to prepare for the coronavirus as well. He has equipped his store with hand sanitizer and a sign at the front door asking people to stay out if they don’t feel well.

“If you’re prepared, you’re not afraid,” he said.

+++LINK+++

Posts: 4419 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post