SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Has anyone noticed or noted that the John's Hopkins tracking site is no longer tracking data by city, but it's now by state? Roll Eyes

Big Grin

Much more useful to know where vs total per state. Quite annoying.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20941 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Has anyone noticed or noted that the John's Hopkins tracking site is no longer tracking data by city, but it's now by state? Roll Eyes

Big Grin

Back on page 56 kkina posted this:

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Here's a handy COVID-19 TRACKER. I just discovered there's a presumptive positive case in my county.

The Johns Hopkins format is a one page thing and the change makes sense there in that format. With kkina’s tracker, if you click on the state it breaks it down in finer detail by county.

Posts: 6970 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Emails from son's colleges today- Bucknell and Cornell are closing after spring break...students must bugout....continue classes remote via internet likely for rest of semester. I want room & board refunds!

Mind you not a case anywhere near fumbuck PA or NY.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4615 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

Back on page 56 kkina posted this:

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Here's a handy COVID-19 TRACKER. I just discovered there's a presumptive positive case in my county.

The Johns Hopkins format is a one page thing and the change makes sense there in that format. With kkina’s tracker, if you click on the state it breaks it down in finer detail by county.

Thanks!

Great, three in my county, three in neighboring county.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20941 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks!

Great, three in my county, three in neighboring county.

Glad it worked for you! Sorry the news wasn’t better. Frown None (listed) in our county yet, but one in the county where I was born, and my late eighties Mom and several siblings live. Sigh...

Posts: 6970 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of this panic is just ridiculous and being fueled by the lame media using it for ratings and to help the leftists moon bats criticize Trump. Meanwhile...where has the hysteria been after tens of thousands have died in the US alone from the flu every year?

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
All of this panic is just ridiculous and being fueled by the lame media using it for ratings and to help the leftists moon bats criticize Trump. Meanwhile...where has the hysteria been after tens of thousands have died in the US alone from the flu every year?

You do realize that we aren't substuting flu for COV19 right? The people dying are additional to those deaths, they are dying from something that didn't exist five months ago and are dying at 34 times the rate of death for flu. So concern is warranted, feel free to ignore it if you want. You can sit there and not worry about supply chain disruptions or what this is doing to your income or 401k, that's your choice. Guess Italy is overreacting too.

I sincerely hope you are right. I'm already having to change my short term plans due to loss of income. So while not paniced yet, I am concerned.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
We may have a better picture 2 weeks after spring break

According to this “number cruncher” in the UK, the USA will be in a “Italy-like lockdown” in about 2 weeks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...ocked-two-weeks.html

And a privately-run but respected college (Berea) has cancelled all classes for the remainder of the semester. Only thing, there hasn’t been one diagnosed case in that county, and only 8 in the entire State, and they are linked together in different counties. Confused

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2742 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

Saw a Tennessee official on the TV news announce that now only cases in the largest Metro counties would list their county / location "to prevent panic" in the smaller counties. W.T.F. Seems to me to do the opposite if anything. I think I have the right to know if the closest cases are next door or 100 miles from me. Assholes, that's sort of insulting. Us dumb ass hicks just aren't smart enough to react appropriately I guess. Only the sophisticated folks in the big cities are smart enough to handle the truth? Mad

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4145 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You do realize that we aren't substuting flu for COV19 right? The people dying are additional to those deaths, they are dying from something that didn't exist five months ago and are dying at 34 times the rate of death for flu. So concern is warranted, feel free to ignore it if you want. You can sit there and not worry about supply chain disruptions or what this is doing to your income or 401k, that's your choice. Guess Italy is overreacting too.

I sincerely hope you are right. I'm already having to change my short term plans due to loss of income. So while not paniced yet, I am concerned.

What date was the first case of this? Not the first diagnosed, or discovered, the first infection?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37137 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
People are losing their &%$*&^ minds. Spraying kids and home made bio suits. Goes well with the 20 cases of toilet paper I guess. Roll Eyes

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...XBU&feature=youtu.be

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The 3.4% mortality rate is most likely a significant overestimate.

The biggest concern right now is the exponential rate at which diseases can spread (and at which this one has spread so far), which COULD result in a noticeable percentage of the population of the United States being infected within the next 4-6 weeks, completely overwhelming our healthcare system.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
quote:

The 3.4% mortality rate is most likely a significant overestimate.

The biggest concern right now is the exponential rate at which diseases can spread (and at which this one has spread so far), which COULD result in a noticeable percentage of the population of the United States being infected within the next 4-6 weeks, completely overwhelming our healthcare system.

Concern yes...but not this overblown hysteria!

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

You do realize that we aren't substuting flu for COV19 right?

Any new form of death is a substitution for an old form of death. The folks that die from COVID 19 were going to die from something else anyway. The question is will COVID 19 affect life expetancy? In other words and only one simple example, how much longer would a 90 year old who died from COVID 19 lived had he not contracted COVID 19?

Posts: 11216 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I agree that hysteria isn't warranted, but comparing to flu deaths (right now) isn't very meaningful. The flu deaths per year number is effectively for an entire flu season.

Right now, coronavirus is the equivalent of something like two weeks into flu season, with a new flu that no one has ever had before (no resistance due to past infection) and for which there's no vaccine.

In six months, there's a good chance there will have been a lot more coronavirus deaths than flu deaths in a typical flu season.

It's not going to cause the end of the world, and society isn't going to collapse, but a lot of people are probably going to die.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Chernobyl disaster was much more frightening. Glad we did not have social media back then.

Posts: 17378 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indiana University Bloomington announced it is suspending all classroom instruction after spring break next week. The grad schools are already on break. No cases in Bloomington, and only a half dozen confirmed in Indiana so far.

Posts: 4784 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
What date was the first case of this? Not the first diagnosed, or discovered, the first infection?

Who knows? it's inconsequential. The only thing that matters at this point is how we slow it to keep our medical system from being overwhelmed. What's your FD/EMS normal response time? If they are running extra calls or completely overwhelmed by COV19 calls what does that do for a gunshot victim or heart attack patient where minutes or even seconds might count?

What if you own a business that can't source materials and have to shutter your doors? What if you are an hourly worker like me and can't work from home? What if you were planning on retiring next year?

The financial effect from this is going to hurt a lot of people no matter if the death rate is smaller than the World Health Organization states.

I'm currently worried about my finances and the economy for now. If we are on the same trajectory as Italy, we are in bad shape in two weeks. Someone posted a video on exponential growth, I didn't watch it because I've taken math classes, so I'm familiar with the concept, but this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Emails from son's colleges today- Bucknell and Cornell are closing after spring break...students must bugout....continue classes remote via internet likely for rest of semester. I want room & board refunds!

Mind you not a case anywhere near fumbuck PA or NY.

FYI, I heard from recent grads today that both Harvard and Princeton are doing the same. Two of my Bucknell grads were back today visiting, since they're on break and they said the same.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, over in Iran....

Iran’s Coronavirus Response: Pride, Paranoia, Secrecy, Chaos
quote:
Iranian leaders once predicted the coronavirus epidemic ravaging China would not affect their country. Now Iran has among the most coronavirus deaths outside China, and Iranian medical workers have been told to keep quiet.

Nearly three dozen Iranian government officials and members of parliament are infected and a senior adviser to the supreme leader has died.

The Health Ministry has proposed sending 300,000 militia members door-to-door on a desperate mission to sanitize homes. The top prosecutor has warned that anyone hoarding face masks and other public health equipment risks the death penalty.

Iran’s leaders confidently predicted just two weeks ago that the coronavirus contagion ravaging China would not be a problem in their country. They even bragged of exporting face masks to their Chinese trading partners.

Now Iran is battered by coronavirus infections that have killed 77 people, among the most outside of China, officials said Tuesday. But instead of receiving government help, overwhelmed doctors and nurses say they have been warned by security forces to keep quiet. And some officials say Tehran’s hierarchy is understating the true extent of the outbreak — probably, experts contend, because it will be viewed as a failure that enemies will exploit.

“They are lurching from crisis to crisis and trying to Band-Aid each crisis,” said Sanam Vakil, a researcher on Iran at Chatham House, a London-based research institute. “They underestimated the potential effect of the coronavirus.”

Iranian health officials initially boasted of their public health prowess. They ridiculed quarantines as “archaic” and portrayed Iran as a global role model. President Hassan Rouhani suggested a week ago that by this past Saturday life would have returned to normal.

Instead, Iran on Tuesday acknowledged as many as 77 deaths from the virus and at least 2,300 cases of infection. But medical experts say the 77 deaths suggested that, based on the expected death rate, about 4,000 people are presumably infected.

The authorities also said Tuesday that they had temporarily freed 54,000 prisoners considered symptom-free, apparently in hopes of minimizing contagion in Iran’s crowded penitentiaries. But it was unclear from the announcement how many prisoners had actually been tested, given the severe shortages of testing kits in the country.

Because of those shortages, the reality is that no one can guess how far the coronavirus has spread in Iran. One Canadian study projected a week ago that the true total of infections may have been more than 18,000, “and a week ago is eons when we are talking about an epidemic,” said Isaac Bogoch, a Toronto doctor who was one of the authors.

Posts: 14841 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post