SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
And the officer with whom I agreed and spoke too much common sense was fired.

[FLASH_VIDEO]

That is completely f-ed up. That man did nothing wrong and lost his job over a video. Wow.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
That's rich coming from someone who would refuse to wear a mask when sick, therefore risking the health of others for their own feelings.

What kind of nanny state crap is this that? The same argument is made by EVERY FUCKING GUN GRABBING WHORE. "my childs safety is more important than yours".....sounds familiar doesn't it? If you think I am killing you or anyone else by not wearing a mask, I have a bridge to sell you.

Side_shot brings up a good point with his post. The difference with everyone born before the Vietnam war (and some others, like myself) is that they know they are mortal and therefore will at some point or another die. It's how you lived that will define you.

It's astounding to me that people would rather live in a society that has no semblance of freedom, food shortages, rampant unemployment, stagnant economy, and perpetual misery instead of MAYBE catching the sniffles and living like we have in decades past.

It's not nanny state crap at all. It's do the right thing because it's the right thing to do, and don't whine about "you only care about yourself" while doing something because you only care about yourself.

It's not about "you're killing me by not wearing a mask". That's hyperbolic nonsense and a straw man unworthy of rational discussion.

Food shortages, rampant unemployment, stagnant economy and perpetual misery is not a side effect of taking reasonable precautions to not infect others when you're sick and wearing the damned mask.

Posts: 3652 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Let me ask you. Have you ever in your entire life walked around with a face covering prior to this current chinese virus?

No, and I still haven't. But then I'm not sick.

If you're sick, you should do it. If I get sick, I'll do it. Why? Because I don't want to get other people sick, and the mask may help with that.

Posts: 3652 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Let me ask you. Have you ever in your entire life walked around with a face covering prior to this current chinese virus?

If you're sick, you should do it. If I get sick, I'll do it. Why? Because I don't want to get other people sick, and the mask may help with that.

So you’ve never been sick?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
quote:

Not with a virus with these unique characteristics.

Actually, if I'm sick I won't be going out. That's what I usually do. And guess what? If you don't go out you don't need to wear a mask. Problem solved.

For what it's worth, I've always appreciated how in many countries it's perfectly normal to wear a mask during illness. It's considered respectful of others, and it's probably contributed to the lower impact of this particular virus in those countries.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not with a virus with these unique characteristics.
Actually, if I'm sick I won't be going out. That's what I usually do. And guess what? If you don't go out you don't need to wear a mask. Problem solved.

You’ve contradicted yourself based on your post stream which is too long to requote.

———————————————

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Allan the promiscuous poster is back.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:

You’ve contradicted yourself based on your post stream which is too long to requote.

Try.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^ Don’t need to. There for everyone to see.

———————————————

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Food shortages, rampant unemployment, stagnant economy and perpetual misery is not a side effect of taking reasonable precautions to not infect others when you're sick and wearing the damned mask.

Sure it is. The country is at a standstill right now, or haven't you been paying attention. Wearing a mask has done nothing to curb the Wu Flu. Don't you realize that China and most other Asian countries wear masks regularly and have since at least the early 2000's when the first SARS cases hit. If the masks stopped the spread, then how did it get here? The fear of the Wu Flu and the amount of pushback from those like yourself to not reopen the country have all but crippled us.

"Reasonable precautions"? Sounds like good ol' fashioned "common sense gun control measures" It's funny how people fall for simple words that have no meaning.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
After Treating Barely Any Patients for a Massive $7.5 Million Each, 16 Emergency COVID Hospitals Are Standing Down

At a cost of $7.5 million a patient, they were 16 very expensive field hospitals.

Yet, according to NPR, those hospitals are now “stand[ing] down.”

You probably remember them from headlines early in the pandemic: makeshift medical centers being assembled at breakneck speed by companies contracted by the Army Corps of Engineers in anticipation of dealing with a massive influx of COVID-19 patients in our nation’s emergency rooms.

At SUNY Stony Brook on New York’s Long Island, $155.5 million was spent on a temporary hospital which, according to New York Newsday, saw “five massive field hospital tents” put up. The maximum beds under contract was 1,038.

To the west on Long Island, another $118.5 million was spent putting up another field hospital at SUNY Old Westbury. Neither have yet to see a single patient. Newsday reported the decision was made not to staff or fully equip the sites in mid-April when the predicted need for hospital beds never materialized.

In Denver, a field hospital at the Colorado Convention Center was supposed to have up to 2,000 beds and open in late April. On April 20, The Denver Post reported the facility wouldn’t be ready until May 15 and would have “about 600 beds.” On Thursday, KUSA-TV reported it would open June 4 and hold 200 beds.

Cost: $34.6 million. Patients seen so far: 0.

These were just some of the quick-hospital projects that were arranged for the cost of over $660 million to taxpayers, according to NPR, which analyzed federal spending records. They looked at over 30 projects that received money; 17 of these projects were listed in their report on the program.

One of them, the facility at New York City’s Javits Center, was an outlier. Costing $11.4 million, it cumulatively treated 1,095 patients. This, by the way, was nowhere near its capacity of 1,900 beds.

The other 16 field hospitals, which cost a total of $615 million, treated just 82 patients during the time they were open — the ones that opened at all, that is.

“We really wanted to make sure that we were maintaining some of the physical infrastructure that has been built there. So that should we need it, it doesn’t take us a long time to potentially turn that back on,” said Allison Arwady, Chicago’s public health commissioner.

Whether or not they ever need to be reopened is a totally different question. Based on what we’ve seen thus far, the answer is likely no.

Given that, this was a waste of resources,

https://www.westernjournal.com...lypm&utm_content=ttp

Walsh Construction (a VERY politically connected construction company) did the build with the Corps of Engineers at Mc Cormack Place here in Chicago.
Originally there were 3000 beds.
Then it was scaled back to 1000 a few weeks ago.

No more than a total of 20 patients.

GREAT ALLOCATION OF RESOURCES AND MONEY!!!

(I hate to stand here on a soap box and preach, but THANKFULLY there were only 20 patients, and not the thousands expected)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8315 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few things to ponder:

I was under the impression that most people in China wear masks due to excessive levels of pollutants and toxins in their cities - not because of fear of viral infection?

If you are sick enough to think you should put on a mask - why are you out in public in the first place?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
A few things to ponder:

I was under the impression that most people in China wear masks due to excessive levels of pollutants and toxins in their cities - not because of fear of viral infection?

If you are sick enough to think you should put on a mask - why are you out in public in the first place?

Which is my point about the masks. If everyone wears one but people still get sick, what's the point? According to the "mask up, save a life" crew, that shouldn't have happened.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was just at the grocery store. Perhaps it was a fluke, but there were fewer people wearing masks, including four of five giggling high school girls crowded together in the checkout line.

Posts: 107237 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
And the officer with whom I agreed and spoke too much common sense was fired.

Saw that one coming. And Seattle - it was a no-brainer. I do highly admire his willingness to stand up for his convictions.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
A few things to ponder:

Which is my point about the masks. If everyone wears one but people still get sick, what's the point? According to the "mask up, save a life" crew, that shouldn't have happened.

And then there is this, Study: Masks Fail to Filter Virus in Coughing COVID-19 Patients

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Anybody wishing to test the effectiveness of their masks needs to hop in a car with my uncle Ricky after he eats his daily 7-11 big bite hotdog with jalapenos and a few beers. I'll guarantee you'll be gagging and reaching for the window switch because it ain't doing shit to stop anything Eek

Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
if your sick the worst thing you can do is where a mask all those germs and sickness building up in your hello kitty cloth mask

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Just canceled my Costco membership. The girl over the phone said I wasn’t the only one.

Posts: 13041 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
or maybe you don't care about anyone but yourself.

That's rich coming from someone who would refuse to wear a mask when sick, thereby risking the health of others for their own feelings.

If you wore a full burka, you wouldn't have to worry about it, because then you'd be "safe".

And so would others.

So, just be safe and put on the burka. Make your wife and family wear one too.

Just. Burka.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post