SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

What does matter is the millions that will die if (probably when) this kicks off. And the economic and societal collapses to follow.

Are you for real or having you been watching too many zombie movies?

Roll Eyes

There is validity to his statement, even if a little alarmist sounding. If you haven't noticed, the epidemic is having a global effect already.

The stock market is dropping, supply lines are shrinking (just read a story where a large shipment of N95 masks from China has been recalled halfway across the Pacific) and stopping altogether. Someone posted a pic of the mask shelf already empty here in the relatively untouched United States.

Fresh outbreaks with too many fatalities to have had it be the result of anything but an entrenched occurrence that was just now revealed. That means the spread is further along then realized.

Even if the average mortality stays as low as it SEEMS in developed western countries, its still bad at 100X that of seasonal flu. Which globally equates to hundreds of millions.

Early in this thread it was posited that I was really getting worked up over this thing when there were hundreds of reported cases and a handful of deaths. A month later, we are sitting at @80,000 cases with over 2600 deaths. IF everyone (cough cough China) is being honest. Even now I'm not ready to panic, but IF this gets going in western nations at a pace we cannot keep up with, the global economy will get wrecked. This is never a good scenario no matter what the emergency is.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15805 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm increasingly seeing advice to stock up to prepare for a pandemic. Not panic but doesn't hurt to prepare. Stock would be stuff that would be used over time anyway, just bought in advance.

Does anyone have a good short list? I have on the list:
Canned food (chili, tomatoes, ?)
Crackers
Pasta
Frozen foods (peas, corn, fruit?, chicken, steak)
Cereal
Dried fruit
Non-refrig fruit juice
Bottled Water (do I really need - water supply will be fine, right?)

TP
Soap (bath, dish, laundry)
Toothpaste, shampoo
Disinfectant (Lysol or such)

Will go shopping later today.

Don't forget the beer, blow, dope, and hookers.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32032 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Much ado about nothing.

Less than 2% afflicted will die. Mortality rates are higher for the flu.

The media has to give us something to be frightened about. I'm more worried about Bernie and Bloomie.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Don't forget the beer, blow, dope, and hookers.

Does beer and things like that keep well? How about hookers, do you expect to store them in the cool dark basement? I don't understand. All this time I expected beer to go bad after a couple of weeks. Brown liquor seems to keep its flavor better.

And I thought hookers were a single use product. Use once and dispose. Probably high upkeep as well. Given the number of interactions with others, probably low hygene as well, they'll be gonners in the first round. After they die they would tend to stink, too.

We already know that ammunition retains its properties well.

Can anyone tell us how the dopers and such will handle the lack of availability? Smile Will we need ammo to run them off?

Maybe its good the democraps are the only ones holding rallies, but Trump may be breaking the quarantine by holding his own. We are already voting for him, so stop burning fossil fuels flying near infected places. Stay home and laugh with the rest of us at the clowns who won't even discuss the calamity.

We're all gonna die.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

What does matter is the millions that will die if (probably when) this kicks off. And the economic and societal collapses to follow.

Are you for real or having you been watching too many zombie movies?

Roll Eyes

There is validity to his statement, even if a little alarmist sounding. If you haven't noticed, the epidemic is having a global effect already.

The stock market is dropping, supply lines are shrinking (just read a story where a large shipment of N95 masks from China has been recalled halfway across the Pacific) and stopping altogether. Someone posted a pic of the mask shelf already empty here in the relatively untouched United States.

Fresh outbreaks with too many fatalities to have had it be the result of anything but an entrenched occurrence that was just now revealed. That means the spread is further along then realized.

Even if the average mortality stays as low as it SEEMS in developed western countries, its still bad at 10X that of seasonal flu. Which globally equates to hundreds of millions.

Early in this thread it was posited that I was really getting worked up over this thing when there were hundreds of reported cases and a handful of deaths. A month later, we are sitting at @80,000 cases with over 2600 deaths. IF everyone (cough cough China) is being honest. Even now I'm not ready to panic, but IF this gets going in western nations at a pace we cannot keep up with, the global economy will get wrecked. This is never a good scenario no matter what the emergency is.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15805 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mortality rates are higher for the flu.

Not accurate. Covid1-19 disease has a mortality rate 10-20x higher than seasonal flu. Flu is .01 %; Coronavirus is somewhere around 1-2% from existing data. It is possible it is so high because China let it get way out of control, so hopefully totals will moderate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...tml%3foutputType=amp

posted Hide Post
My take on this is this is that US will not see a high death rate but the bigger problem maybe if people start to panic.
If people start avoiding public places, it will start to effect the economy greatly.
The economy is like a dominos, once it starts it will run its course.

Posts: 1185 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Don't forget the beer, blow, dope, and hookers.[/QUOTE]

I made sure to add extra beer to my prep list.

Posts: 332 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not accurate. Covid1-19 disease has a mortality rate 10-20x higher than seasonal flu. Flu is .01 %; Coronavirus is somewhere around 1-2% from existing data. It is possible it is so high because China let it get way out of control, so hopefully totals will moderate.

I have read the same thing from several sources. The Corona virus is far more lethal than the regular seasonal flu.

Also, as of today at 1:00 pm the DOW is off by over 1000 points, all due to the corona virus. More bad news.

Posts: 1072 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coronavirus: Iran death toll reportedly hits 50 as Kuwait, Bahrain, Afghanistan, Iraq announce first cases

A report from Iran’s semi-official ILNA news agency said on Monday 50 people had died from the Covid-19 disease in the city of Qom

Kuwait, Bahrain Afghanistan, and Iraq also confirmed their first novel coronavirus cases, health ministries in the three countries announced

https://www.scmp.com/news/worl...st-coronavirus-cases

Elsewhere in the region, Kuwait, Bahrain, Afghanistan and Iraq also confirmed their first cases. Kuwait reported three infections and Bahrain one, adding all had come from Iran.

Posts: 13100 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, everyone is getting what they wanted- a big frenzy. How ya likn' it? How's that stock market doing with all this fun, huh?

Thank the news media and thank all the other fear-mongers, be they groups or individuals.

What this will come down to is that the panic over this bug will be more harmful to society than the bug itself.

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I just bought more Walgreen's stock at $49.50.

Posts: 4822 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Italy is very interesting. Before last Friday, they had three cases in two separate regions with no apparent link, and it's still unclear how it got there; one of the initial cases had been visited by a guy who had been to China, but the latter subsequently tested negative. Five days later - bam, 220-plus cases, seven deaths. The comparatively high fatality rate seems in part explained by one case bringing it to a hospital unrecognized, where it hit a population ripe with pre-existing conditions; the last two deaths were a cancer patient and an octogenarian admitted earlier with a heart attack.

Iran is a black hole where it seems to have been only recognized when people started dying of it. The ratio of 60 known cases to twelve deaths is way out of proportion to anywhere else; even accounting for local lack of medical standards, the case count should be at least five times higher. And that's before we come to the suspected factor of three to ten in undetected cases elsewhere.

And the Johns Hopkins tracking map seems to have folded under the demand.

Posts: 2457 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
A few updates and considerations, from my perspective only but in line with CDC.

- SARS-CoV-2 is a betacoronavirus (RNA), sharing many similarities with SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV.
- One of the non-human reservoirs is very probably bats, and probably the sentinel reservoir.
- It is easily transmissible between humans and very likely the animal reservoir, through fomites (possibly), close-contact aerosol (within a few feet), and possibly other unknown mechanisms.
- Incubation period appears to be similar to MERS-CoV (up to 2 weeks), possibly asymptomatically.
- Symptoms are mainly respiratory, and symptoms may be mild to severe, including death. The exact clinical picture advancing to mortality is not well understood, but appears to be similar to influenza and is worse in individuals with other comorbidities.
- Confirmed infections have likely been underestimated by at least a factor of ten (an assumption), but possibly much more, so actual Case Fatality Rate may be off by orders of magnitude, and varies by location. In the US it is currently zero. In mainland China it is 2-3 percent. With the data that has been presented, which is likely wrong.
- The entire genome has been mapped, but there is currently no vaccine available, although in development.
- Based on the genome, the virus has likely been with us (on earth) in some form all along, perhaps for millennia, and will be here when it has run its current course and returned to the animal reservoir, waiting for the next shared-host opportunity.
- SARS-CoV-2 (producing COVID-19 disease/syndrome) has met - or nearly met - the criteria for a worldwide pandemic, and will likely see a more rapid spread in the coming months. Based on similarities with other lethal CoV organisms, global infections and fatalities in the range of more severe non-pandemic influenza outbreaks (20 million or more infected, 5 million or more severely ill, 1 million or more fatalities in a 12 month "seasonal" period) are possible and even likely, although it could burn out early, or advance to a more severe pandemic stage.

Nice summary Doc. To add to your synopsis, as an RNA virus, Coronavirus integration won't occur and latency isn't an issue. I'm highly skeptical of reinfection claims given the asymptomatic period brings into question when infection might actually occur.

Like Para indicated, the worst part of this disease will be the hysteria it's kicking off and the market's reaction. Influenza appears far worse where infectivity is concerned (even if off by a factor of 10), greatly magnifying its low mortality rate vs. Covid-19.

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...tml%3foutputType=amp

To be fair, this is the mortality rate in China as you point out. The calculated CFR by region varies considerably, and in the US is currently zero. That's a very small "n" (currently 35 infected, most asymptomatic), but the population of China is almost 1.5B, with the highest population density in the world, mostly concentrated in major cities, like the virus. The virus was first reported in December 2019, but was very likely in the population prior to that, just not concentrated. And the consequences of self-reporting or being diagnosed with COVID-19 are severe in mainland China, so the reported 77K+ "infected" cases is almost certainly low - very low. How low we don't know, but even a million is not unreasonable given the contact time and population density, which lowers the CFR considerably. This is not to say that SARS-CoV-2 is not a bad actor or incapable of causing a severe global pandemic - it is very possibly more transmissible than influenza B - but in the final tally it is likely, from what we currently know, to be no more deadly in an epidemiological sense with its genomic makeup and history (and that's certainly enough). It could get worse - viruses mutate at an alarming rate - but statistically it is likely to play out as a severe influenza pandemic. Likely nothing to match the Spanish Lady in 1918 (yet, and that had - and has - a combined mortality rate of around 2%), but at least close to a bad year for the flu. To which not many people, normally, pay much attention, although they should.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doc H.,

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
What s bunch of ninnies in the stock market. For chrissakes.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30926 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
What s bunch of ninnies in the stock market. For chrissakes.

This was bound to happen. By all accounts, even discounting the "news" media's propensity to hype things beyond all reason, SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 appears to be pretty wicked. Coupled with that is the fact it's impact so far has been primarily upon low-wage regions to which American manufacturers have (unwisely, IMO) outsourced nearly all production in the name of profit margin.

Yup, our retirement account took a big hit today. I don't like it, but, having expected this shoe to drop, feeling it was almost inevitable, I'm not freaking out.

I hope those of you who've been inclined to invest aggressively had the foresight to have shifted yourselves to a more conservative portfolio already.

Not predicting, mind you, but I won't be surprised if this gets worse before it gets better.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm expecting a rebound tomorrow. Maybe dip down again during the week because of the aforementioned ninnies, but then ultimately recover mostly by Friday.

How's that for wishful thinking!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30926 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t follow the stock market very closely, but I seem to recall large swings due to things that were far less important to the economy than the shutdown of major suppliers in China due to the disease. Why are we surprised by the market’s reaction to this?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47699 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Why are we surprised by the market’s reaction to this?

Who here said he was surprised?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)