SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I was following a thread on Twitter about the British scientist who predicted 2 million dead / 18 months of global quarantine who is now saying - ehh I was wrong, we'll be good in 2 or 3 weeks.
Imagine that

Posts: 109053 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Astounding that most of these decisions have been and are still being based on that model and that model alone. Another British epidemiologist at Oxford had previously expressed doubt about his numbers but apparently was ignored.

Posts: 11415 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Collier County in Florida had a meeting of the Commissioners today to vote on a proposed Stay-at-Home/Business Shutdown order.

The meeting went for about 3 hours, with testimony from reps from the local hospitals, various folks from the business community and members of the general public.

Ultimately, they unanimously decided not to adopt the order. They decided instead to monitor the situation and continue following the various orders and recommendations of the Governor and the CDC.

I submitted written testimony opposing the order, so I was pleased.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I was following a thread on Twitter about the British scientist who predicted 2 million dead / 18 months of global quarantine who is now saying - ehh I was wrong, we'll be good in 2 or 3 weeks.
A friend of 30+ years, wife was an RN her whole life, he has two RN daughters working in the immediate area, he tells me it is not easy to get infected among casual interactions. Heck, if someone is sneezing in the air, do you stand anywhere near them?

Time will tell. There should be a leveling off in 7-10 days. Except on my block, where hordes of single-to-zero-parent-household kids cavort like they're in a Little Rascals remake.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is silly. We're just going to have to wait to see how this plays out.

THANK YOU!!! I've gone to skimming as there seem to be a lot of folks on both sides continuing to trumpet stuff that they think bolsters their viewpoint.

It seems to me that it is possible that this could be really bad IFF it is as bad as has been stated and it runs away across the country. It also seems possible that it may not be as bad as has been stated and it may not going to run away all over the country. It looks like densely populated areas may be ugly, but really it is going to take time to see what happens.

Getting too spun up in any direction now given the paucity of real information seems a little silly. I don't believe ANYBODY *knows* what is going to happen. Different folks have different guesses, but guesses is all they are.

Posts: 7075 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
I work for a large national bank. Just got notified that in my area we are running a test and closing lobbies in the vast majority of our area’s branches tomorrow. About 10% will stay open. Drive throughs will continue to be open in the branches closing their lobby. Branch employees will still be at the branch, speaking to clients on phone and email.

Most of us expect all lobby nationwide to be closed shortly after this test.

Most existing client activity can be done by website, mobile app, or over the phone. Main issues will be more complicated transactions, some new accounts that can’t be opened online, notary, safe box access, etc.

My area has a very small # of cases so interesting they are testing it here. About 20% of our branches are already closed, mostly in the hotspot cities. I’ll post more info as I’m able.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
CEO of GM is Mary Barra

from 2014: General Motors CEO Mary Barra, the first woman ever to captain an American automaker, will attend tonight’s SOTU speech as a guest of Michelle Obama

So you know how Barra leans

https://theconservativetreehou...osition/#more-187623

Until today, most companies voluntarily adjusted their manufacturing systems and networks to assist; so forced compliance was not needed.

However, General Motors now states an inability to meet their prior commitments for the manufacture of ventilators

President Trump has just triggered the Defense Production Act to force General Motors to comply with their initial promise.

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 27, 2020

Statement from the President Regarding the Defense Production Act

Today, I signed a Presidential Memorandum directing the Secretary of Health and Human Services to use any and all authority available under the Defense Production Act to require General Motors to accept, perform, and prioritize Federal contracts for ventilators. Our negotiations with GM regarding its ability to supply ventilators have been productive, but our fight against the virus is too urgent to allow the give-and-take of the contracting process to continue to run its normal course. GM was wasting time . Today’s action will help ensure the quick production of ventilators that will save American lives.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
My sister sent me this video from one of her friends who is a pulmonologist at Weill Cornell Hospital in NYC. He is basically a full time Covid-19 doctor now. He talks about how to avoid the disease, what it looks like, how its treated, etc. I thought it was interesting and informative without all the hype you get on the news.

It's hosted at Vimeo, and I'm not sure how to embed it but here's the link:

Video

It's almost an hour long and worth watching. But if you're short on time, the one major takeway is to be religious about washing your hands.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Don't act sleazy with our wartime Preezy and you won't get your narrow ass kicked.

[Lt. Aldo Raine] Soooound good?! [/Lt. Aldo Raine]

Posts: 109053 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Babylon Bee (satire) hits it out of the park again:

upload foto share link

posted Hide Post
A little mood-lightener...

Posts: 2711 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2.2 million dead in the US? I'm telling you- some of these people who are making these ridiculous predictions just need to be hung. Coronavirus is not damaging this nation; hysterical, posturing, egotistical, incompetent know-it-alls with an agenda are damaging this nation.

The antidote is hemp, properly knotted and utilized.

Do any of you honestly think for one single second that such an estimate is anything more than fantasy? And we're listening to these boobs?? I don't care how many degrees they have or how well-regarded they are in their field. A prediction of 2.2. million US deaths from this bug is outrageously false.

Oh, but now, you see, we've "taken the necessary precautions", so he can now "downwardly revise" this figure. Oh, come on. You are fooling a lot of people but you are not fooling all of us. Roll Eyes

All this is a test run.....all I've to say at this point.

Pure sadness

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Collier County in Florida had a meeting of the Commissioners today to vote on a proposed Stay-at-Home/Business Shutdown order.

The meeting went for about 3 hours, with testimony from reps from the local hospitals, various folks from the business community and members of the general public.

Ultimately, they unanimously decided not to adopt the order. They decided instead to monitor the situation and continue following the various orders and recommendations of the Governor and the CDC.

I submitted written testimony opposing the order, so I was pleased.
Sure wish your folks would call our folks here in Orange County and try and help them understand what the hell is going on. Of course your folks would have to brush up their stupid before making that call given the morons they'll be talking to.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
The antidote is hemp, properly knotted and utilized.
Agreed. Just make sure you bring enough to include a majority of the media filth gleefully trumpeting this BS. They to need to be 'dealt' with.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Let's keep that media driven, anti-Trump, dire, doomsayer, Wuhan death march pedal to the metal! Eh!?

Cause clearly all this economic destruction is completely necessary.

Just look at these Wu Flu ravaged survivors.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30905 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised their return (and apparent recovery) was allowed to be revealed. All I hear about are infections and deaths. People who recover from the Commie Cold generally aren't newsworthy. Bad for the brand.

Unless you're Forest Gump I suppose.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Unless you're Forest Gump I suppose.

Or Michael Sullivan (Road to Perdition). Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hehe. "'Half' Whitmer." Love it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30905 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Trump is activating the Military Non-Active Ready Reserve...
https://www.whitehouse.gov/pre...-forces-active-duty/

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.), and in furtherance of Proclamation 9994 of March 13, 2020 (Declaring a National Emergency Concerning the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak), which declared a national emergency by reason of the threat that the novel (new) coronavirus known as SARS-CoV-2 poses to our Nation’s healthcare systems, I hereby order as follows:

Section 1. Emergency Authority. To provide additional authority to the Secretaries of Defense and Homeland Security to respond to the national emergency declared by Proclamation 9994, the authorities under section 12302 of title 10, United States Code, and sections 2127, 2308, 2314, and 3735 of title 14, United States Code, are invoked and made available, according to their terms, to the Secretaries of Defense and Homeland Security. The Secretaries of the Army, Navy, and Air Force, at the direction of the Secretary of Defense, and the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to the Coast Guard when it is not operating as a service in the Navy, are authorized to order to active duty not to exceed 24 consecutive months, such units, and individual members of the Ready Reserve under the jurisdiction of the Secretary concerned, not to exceed 1,000,000 members on active duty at any one time, as the Secretary of Defense and, with respect to the Coast Guard when it is not operating as a service in the Navy, the Secretary of Homeland Security consider necessary. The Secretary of Defense or the Secretary of Homeland Security, as applicable, will ensure appropriate consultation is undertaken with relevant state officials with respect to the utilization of National Guard Reserve Component units activated under this authority.

Sec. 2. General Provisions. (a) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b) This order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(c) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

DONALD J. TRUMP

THE WHITE HOUSE,
March 27, 2020.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3487 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post