SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
there are so many exceptions it's a joke.

Absolutely! Mecklenburg County NC (Charlotte area) has their "stay at home" order which says:

YOU CAN
Go to the grocery, convenience or warehouse store

Go to the pharmacy to pick up medications and other healthcare necessities

Visiting a health care professional for medical services that cannot be provided virtually (call first)

Go to a restaurant for take-out, delivery or drive-thru

Care for or support a friend or family member

Take a walk, ride your bike, hike, jog and be in nature for exercise – just keep at least six feet between you and others

Walk your pets and take them to veterinarian if necessary

Help someone to get necessary supplies

Receive deliveries from any business which delivers

YOU SHOULD NOT
Go to work unless you are providing essential services as defined by this Order

Visit friends and family if there is no urgent need

Maintain less than 6 feet of distance from others when you go out

Visit loved ones in the hospital, nursing home, skilled nursing facility or other residential care facility, except for limited exceptions as provided on the facility websites

Travel except for essential travel and activities

Basically, you can pretty much go about your business since it almost all falls within what you CAN DO. And the list says what you should not do, not shall not do. So it's pretty much the chicken littles and hermits who will pay attention to this idiotic order.

The weather should be nice this weekend - so it's a perfect time to get the motorcycle out and ride. If the rest of them want to stay at home let 'em.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6775 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My iPhone emergency alerted a few minutes ago with this message. I've been home what seems like an eternity anyway so no inconvenience here..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:

Absolutely! Mecklenburg County NC (Charlotte area) has their "stay at home" order which says:

YOU CAN
Go to the grocery, convenience or warehouse store

Go to the pharmacy to pick up medications and other healthcare necessities

Visiting a health care professional for medical services that cannot be provided virtually (call first)

Go to a restaurant for take-out, delivery or drive-thru

Care for or support a friend or family member

Take a walk, ride your bike, hike, jog and be in nature for exercise – just keep at least six feet between you and others

Walk your pets and take them to veterinarian if necessary

Help someone to get necessary supplies

Receive deliveries from any business which delivers

YOU SHOULD NOT
Go to work unless you are providing essential services as defined by this Order

Visit friends and family if there is no urgent need

Maintain less than 6 feet of distance from others when you go out

Visit loved ones in the hospital, nursing home, skilled nursing facility or other residential care facility, except for limited exceptions as provided on the facility websites

Travel except for essential travel and activities

Basically, you can pretty much go about your business since it almost all falls within what you CAN DO. And the list says what you should not do, not shall not do. So it's pretty much the chicken littles and hermits who will pay attention to this idiotic order.

The weather should be nice this weekend - so it's a perfect time to get the motorcycle out and ride. If the rest of them want to stay at home let 'em.

Have you always been in NC? I missed that.

Posts: 12948 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Talking to one of my 17 year old twins about current events and my frustration with the media attempting to sensationalize it. He said, “The news creates fear so you watch more news.”

I’m so proud.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clinton truly is a despicable person.

'He did promise America First': Clinton mocks Trump after US becomes nation with most coronavirus cases

https://www.washingtonexaminer...st-coronavirus-cases

After the United States passed every other country in the world for most confirmed coronavirus cases, Hillary Clinton mocked President Trump by referencing a campaign slogan he used to help elevate his bid to win the 2016 election.

The former secretary of state shared a link to a New York Times article on Friday that reported the spike in rising numbers was a result of a "series of missteps" from the Trump administration.

Clinton's tweet said: "He did promise 'America First.'"

Posts: 13075 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I think the real failure here is the CDC's early and moronic guidance for people not to get tested early unless they 100% could trace contact with someone who was known positive or who had traveled from a specific list of countries. Couple that with failed test kits and a complete lack of them in sufficient quantities and the fact that the incubation period is 5-14+ days and you've got a recipe to spread far and wide.

Sadly, hindsight is 20/20 and I'm not sure even with that knowledge, we could have produced enough test kits fast enough in the private sector to have stemmed the spread effectively.

Our whole company is now remote, some 55k employees except for those deemed critical by our customers who are now isolated from their local corp offices. I've been amazed at the speed the execs took action (shut down travel > 30 days ago) and our IT staff rolled out tools globally to support a new way of working. We have at least six confirmed casess within the company and sadly one death earlier this week.

Posts: 3157 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:

Yep, there will be a bunch of people who have been scared witless and will not even go outside. As for me...i'm heading out in the morning for some take out breakfast then down to my elderly mom's house and mow the yard. If I happen to think of anything else that needs doing, I'll do it and Cooper can go fuck himself. I may even go take a hike at one of the local hiking trails this weekend.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Oh. My. God.

I went through the drive through at CVS this morning to pick up a couple of prescriptions. They had a big sign on the window: No, Coronavirus tests are not available at the window.

I was joking about that with the pharmacist. She told me that they actually had someone drive up to the window with human feces in a baggie, asking it they could test it for the virus.
Ugh.

That's a mail in test only. Here's the details:
Everyone get tested ASAP! The US is taking the Coronavirus seriously. New testing methods are being used and you don’t have to leave your house. No hospital visit is necessary. All you have to do is mail a stool sample to:

Nancy Pelosi
1236 Longworth H.O.B.
Washington, DC 20515

Direct questions to (202) 225-4965

Note: Larger samples give more accurate results.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you always been in NC? I missed that.

Not always - since 1994 though. Smile

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6775 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
https://www.ft.com/content/31d...ea-89df-41bea055720b

Sweden bucks global trend with experimental virus strategy |

Fewer restrictions than other leading countries and schools remain open

Sweden has become an international outlier in its response to the deadly coronavirus outbreak by keeping schools open and adopting few other restrictions, as the Scandinavian nation embarks on what one health expert called a “huge experiment”. 

Since the UK went into lockdown on Monday evening, Sweden is the largest European country with the fewest limits on where people can go and what they can do. Schools for children up to the age of 16 remain open, many people continue to go to work and packed commuter trains and buses were reported this week in the capital, Stockholm. “Clearly, Sweden stands out at the moment,” said Carl Bildt, the former prime minister.

Swedish authorities have banned public gatherings of more than 500 people, closed universities and higher education colleges, and advised workers to stay at home if possible. Authorities on Tuesday ordered restaurants and bars only to serve people at tables rather than at the bar.

Local media have been full of stories of thousands of people gathering at Swedish ski resorts, which until Saturday kept their nightlife open. The virus has previously spread easily in mountain resorts in Austria and Italy.

Johan Carlson, head of Sweden’s public health agency, last week defended Sweden’s approach, saying the country “cannot take draconian measures that have a limited impact on the epidemic but knock out the functions of society”.

But he conceded that the 90,000 figure for the number of people who die annually in Sweden would “increase significantly” if its healthcare system became overburdened.

There have been just over 2,000 reported Covid-19 cases in Sweden and 33 deaths. That compares with more than 6,000 deaths in Italy, Europe’s worst-affected country.

“The future still looks manageable,” said Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist who has become one of the public faces of the outbreak. He argued that schools needed to stay open to provide childcare for health workers, noting that young people appeared to have much lower infection rates.

But a significant number of Swedish health experts disagree. Mr Tegnell has faced a barrage of criticism after details of the country’s antivirus tactics leaked to Swedish TV at the weekend. 

Joacim Rocklov, an epidemiologist at Umea University, said the Swedish authorities were taking huge risks with public health when so much remained unknown about coronavirus. 

“I do not see why Sweden would be so different from other countries. It is a huge experiment,” he told the Financial Times. “We have no idea — it could work out. But it could also go crazily in the wrong direction.” 

Swedish authorities have said they are not explicitly pursuing a strategy of “herd immunity”, where a large segment of the population contracts the virus in order for society to build up immunity. The UK’s chief scientific adviser had previously suggested that Britain adopt such an approach before the government backtracked.

Sweden is instead seeking to slow the spread of infections and ensure that its health system does not become overwhelmed. Mr Bildt said the situation on the streets of Stockholm had changed “dramatically” in recent weeks despite the absence of legal restrictions, with far fewer people going outside. 

But Mr Rocklov said it was not yet known how long immunity to Covid-19 would last. “There is a big risk that Sweden would have to go into quarantine when the health system goes into crisis,” he added.

Sweden’s relaxed approach contrasts with its Nordic neighbours. Denmark, Norway and Finland have closed schools, sealed their borders and imposed other restrictions.

Stefan Lofven, Sweden’s centre-left prime minister, has called on everyone to play a part in stopping the virus from spreading by, for instance, not visiting elderly relatives and working from home. He used a televised address to the nation on Sunday to warn that more restrictive measures might come as he conceded the next few months would be difficult. 

“There are a few crucial moments in life when you have to make sacrifices, not only for your own sake but also in order to take responsibility for the people around you, for your fellow human beings, and for our country. That moment is now. That day is here. And that duty belongs to everyone,” he said.

Sweden’s strategy has also been criticised for a different reason, with some arguing that even the lighter measures could cause huge damage to the economy. Kerstin Hessius, a prominent fund manager, is one of those arguing that the country may be swapping one disaster for an even worse one.

Her views provoked a riposte from Leif Ostling, former chief executive of truckmaker Scania, who accused her of living in a “financial bubble”. He urged Swedes not to become cynical and to hold to their “humanist viewpoint”. 

Mr Rocklov said it was a “valid discussion” to have over whether the measures aimed at saving lives may do even more damage. But he also said Swedish authorities were not giving enough information for people to make up their own mind.

More and more experts are feeling uneasy with this stewardship. It is not allowing for an open debate. It is rather trying to push down and make people quiet.”

Posts: 8882 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
She told me that they actually had someone drive up to the window with human feces in a baggie, asking it they could test it for the virus
Reminds me of a story a doctor told me a while back. A stool sample was required from a patient. The doctor's office supplied a couple of thin wooden sticks upon which the patient was to place a very small sample. This guy comes back into the office carrying a shoebox, and I'll leave it at that.

Posts: 109053 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Just got this from a White House email:

"NEW: House passes emergency relief bill

The CARES Act is headed to President Trump’s desk today! Following extensive negotiations between the Trump Administration and Congressional leaders, the House of Representatives finally passed the historic $2.2 trillion economic relief package.

The Senate approved the measure yesterday with a 96-0 vote.

What does it mean? American families, healthcare workers, and small businesses will get the economic support they need to get through this challenging time. That includes $1,200 payments to qualifying Americans, $100 billion in direct support for hospitals, and over $370 billion to small business owners to keep their employees on the payroll.

President Trump will sign the bill as soon as it arrives at his desk this afternoon."

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39230 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
our IT staff rolled out tools globally to support a new way of working
A wet dream of the sub-basement IT department, rolling out Project Q. They've justified their budget for the next decade and management looks like superstars.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
our IT staff rolled out tools globally to support a new way of working
A wet dream of the sub-basement IT department, rolling out Project Q. They've justified their budget for the next decade and management looks like superstars.

Skype never worked well for video-conferencing before but now MSFT Teams does. It only took a global pandemic to accomplish...

Posts: 3157 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
She told me that they actually had someone drive up to the window with human feces in a baggie, asking it they could test it for the virus
Reminds me of a story a doctor told me a while back. A stool sample was required from a patient. The doctor's office supplied a couple of thin wooden sticks upon which the patient was to place a very small sample. This guy comes back into the office carrying a shoebox, and I'll leave it at that.

Have you ever tried to hit those little popsicle sticks? A shoebox is a much easier target for what's essentially a no-look shot.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't think that you're supposed to aim for the stick, man.

Think of it as digging a posthole in muddy ground. So, the shit is not heading towards the stick; the stick is heading towards the shit.

Anyhoo...

Posts: 109053 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, but it's more sporting the other way.

Yes, I've been cooped up too long.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ew (muddy posthole digger).

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

So what are they going to do?
Put up roadblocks?

yes

"Graham County (NC) Government has released the following information regarding road closures that will impact NC HWY 143 (NC side of the Cherohala Skyway National Scenic Byway) and US 129 (Tail of the Dragon - NC side with shops):

- Road closures are in effect NOW!
- All residents of Graham County will be able to pass through checkpoints at county lines with a valid driver's license showing a Graham County address.

TN HWY 165, the Tennessee side of the Cherohala Skyway, and the Tennessee side of US 129 will remain open. Please make appropriate travel arrangements if you have made the decision to practice social distancing in the Tellico District of the Cherokee National Forest."

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3124 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was following a thread on Twitter about the British scientist who predicted 2 million dead / 18 months of global quarantine who is now saying - ehh I was wrong, we'll be good in 2 or 3 weeks. I'm on my phone so it's hard to copy it all but I tried.

Check out Alex Berenson (@AlexBerenson): https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson?s=09

1/ This is a remarkable turn from Neil Ferguson, who led the @imperialcollege authors who warned of 500,000 UK deaths - and who has now himself tested positive for #COVID; https://t.co/AfEeePbZL1

2/ He now says both that the U.K. should have enough ICU beds and that the coronavirus will probably kill under 20,000 people in the U.K. - more than 1/2 of whom would have died by the end of the year in any case bc they were so old and sick.

3/ Essentially, what has happened is that estimates of the viruses transmissibility have increased - which implies that many more people have already gotten it than we realize - which in turn implies it is less dangerous.

4/ Ferguson now predicts that the epidemic in the U.K. will peak and subside within “two to three weeks” - last week’s paper said 18+ months of quarantine would be necessary. https://t.co/1Hln7w90bt

5/ One last point here: Ferguson gives the lockdown credit, which is *interesting* - the UK only began ita lockdown 2 days ago, and the theory is that lockdowns take 2 weeks or more to work.

6/ Not surprisingly, this testimony has received no attention in the US - I found it only in UK papers. Team Apocalypse is not interested.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post