SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
We usually keep a good bit of staples on hand and do our major meat-dairy-staple replacement once every two weeks. Well as timing would have it, today was store day.

I was able to get most of what we wanted but our wally world has been hit pretty hard. There were employees wandering the aisles and marking down what was missing. In some aisles it would have been easier I think to write down what was there instead.

There were some things that I couldn't get and I stopped by Dollar General to see if they had stuff. Yep, no problems picking up items they didn't have a wally world.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
The number of folks like yourself who can’t last more than a week or two would mean mass casualties in this country like nothing we’ve ever seen. We would lose like 80% of our population.

To be fair, most healthy people can go several weeks without eating anything without dying of starvation.

There would probably be a lot of deaths from idiots rioting and looting and stuff, though.

True but I know how I feel when I go one day without food. Very easy to get angry and irrational. This is what scares me about mankind. What happens when it goes on for a week. It is very easy to let fear and anger take control, especially in mob rule.

Yeah. I wouldn’t mind losing a few pounds, but that is not how I would prefer to do it.

Posts: 7075 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The wife and I dared to mingle with the unwashed masses yesterday at the grocery store.
The shelves were bare in a few places but there was excellent stock on meat, produce, and other essentials. We even found cold medicine and bottled water in good supply. The folks I talked to there were plesent and everybody was saying how we need to pull together to get through this and remember we are all neighbors.
Really felt great to feel the American spirit live and well even amidst this silliness.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I think we're nearly ready. Our drive through testing center should be up tomorrow. All of the controls at the acute care facilities (hospitals) are in place. We're very anxious of course. But we're ready care for COVID patients when they arrive.

Praying for a miracle. Praying this fizzels out in our area. No evidence or reason to believe that it will.

If you feel comfortable saying, which hospital do you work in? I spent 100 days in Mercy two years ago and have nothing but respect and admiration for the UPMC system. Sorry for the drift.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:

That you refer to cereal as “essentials” speaks more to your state than mine. I will bet you any sum you choose that they will not stop the food supply and close grocery stores. Pick a number. Again, where has this happened? The number of folks like yourself who can’t last more than a week or two would mean mass casualties in this country like nothing we’ve ever seen. We would lose like 80% of our population.

You buying extra food might make you feel better, and if it does, cool, but it’s unnecessary. Again, if you need groceries to feed you and yours, do whatever you need to. But I’d recommend learning how to feed your family without a grocery store before I’d tell others to buy extra cereal. If that’s your plan, you’re in deep shit anyways friend.

Thankfully, you are probably right that it won't impact the supply chain, but it isn't out of the question and that is the point. I'm pretty sure none of us thought a few months ago that we'd be mostly regulated to our homes for a pandemic.

The point of preparations is the likelihood of needing them is low, but having them just in case. Like you said 80% of the population can't go a few weeks without food, which is my point. Yeah, most of us in populated areas can't hunt in our backyards or grow enough crops to sustain a family. Welcome to America in 2020. When we get to the apocalypse it will be a problem. For the possibility of a few week disruption all people have to do is take some basic steps like buying a bit extra of the things they use.

Again, that doesn't mean people have to panic. Puffing out your chest and look down on people for taking the middle ground seems just as ridiculous as the people loading their carts with supplies for the apocalypse.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’m puzzled by the run on really perishable stuff like raw chicken, and bananas, from the local grocery. WTF are people thinking?

Posts: 27163 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
DeWine just closed restaurants' seated dining down in Ohio at 9 tonight. Apparently delivery and drive thru service may continue.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5718 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Interesting article out of France...

quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...e.html#link-2d762051

LVMH, the French company known for luxury items like Louis Vuitton bags, said Sunday that it would use its facilities redirect its cosmetic division to produce mass quantities of hydroalcoholic gel and give it to French health authorities.

The company said in a statement that it would use the facilities where it produces fragrances under the Christian Dior, Givenchy and Guerlain labels to make the sanitizing products starting Monday.

That's some fancy hand sanitizer!

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:... South Korea has 10 hospital beds per 1,000 people, more than twice the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) average (and nearly three times as many as Italy’s 3.4 beds per capita). ...

Interesting -- Pennsylvania has 2.9 staffed beds. Perhaps they could ramp that up (staffing), but the increase probably won't be critical care beds as that requires specialized equipment/facilities.

There's definitely been a push to drive care to the clinics and out of the hospitals due to the high cost. But that sure seems ill advised now.

https://pascorecard.com/health...1%2C000%20population.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
DeWine just closed restaurants' seated dining down in Ohio at 9 tonight. Apparently delivery and drive thru service may continue.

Just saw that as well. Even before this announcement, at about 1:00 pm when I was out, local Kroger had no meat to speak of, other than a few bagged turkeys, some off-brand bacon, and hot dog packages. Will get much worse now, as soon as people realize they essentially have to stay in.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Another nail in the European Union coffin, when Schengen countries close borders with other Schengen countries, the unity of the European Union takes another possibly fatal blow.

I also find it interesting that Memrkel has decided to close their borders to try to stop a virus from getting into Germany, but was refused to close the borders to Middle Eastern and African migrant hordes.

quote:
Coronavirus latest: Germany to partially close borders with several countries

German authorities have decided to reimpose controls on the nation's borders with France, Austria, Denmark, Luxembourg, and Switzerland. Commuters would still be allowed to travel.

Updates in Universal Coordinated Time (UTC/GMT)

19:38 Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro met with a crowd of supporters who gathered infront of the presidential palace on Sunday, celebrating and posing for selfies, according to a video posted to his official Facebook account. The 64-year-old president seemed to ignore medical advice to stay isolated after several of his aides tested positive for COVID-19. Bolsonaro himself tested negative.

19:28 Serbia has declared a state of emergency due to the pandemic.

19:22 The Iraqi government has imposed a curfew in Baghdad amid a coronavirus outbreak. The curfew will go into effect on Tuesday next week and remain in force at least for the next seven days.

< snip >

19:13 Coronavirus death toll in France has reached 120, up from 91 yesterday, with the number of infected jumping from 4,449 on Saturday to over 5,400.

18:57 Norway is set to aid its economy with a support package of 100 billion Norwegian crowns ($9.7 billion €8.7 billion). The authorities are also postponing the payment of payroll taxes.

"The government will do what's needed and spend the necessary funds to secure the Norwegian economy and support Norwegian businesses, big and small," Prime Minister Erna Solberg said.

18:41 Germany's federal police chief Dieter Romann says that police officers have already been deployed and enough officers are available to monitor the borders.

"We are not closing the borders, that is what they do in North Korea," he told reporters. "We are controlling the border, that is something completely different."

18:22 Germany now has 4,838 confirmed coronavirus cases, a jump of over 1,000 compared to Saturday. The virus has so far killed 12 people, according to the Robert Koch Institute.

18:12 The coronavirus outbreak is advancing "quickly and aggressively" and has not yet reached its peak, according to Germany Interior Minister Horst Seehofer.

18:11 Germany nationals and foreign nationals residing in Germany will be allowed to travel back to the country, officials said.

18:09 Germany's Interior Minister Horst Seehofer confirmed that the government would close borders with several neighboring countries, including France, Austria, Denmark, Luxembourg, and Switzerland. The crossing will stay open for people traveling to and from work, and transporters delivering goods.

18:00 Pope Francis has visited two Rome churches to pray for the end of the pandemic. The pontiff's trip outside the Vatican also included a brief walk in Rome, according to Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni.

17:44 As the Catholic Church prepares for Easter on April 12, the Vatican said that all "Liturgical Celebrations of Holy Week" will take place this year"without the physical presence of the faithful."

17:40 Scandinavian airline SAS will temporarily lay off some 10,000 employees, or 90% of its workforce, as the demand for plane tickets sinks due to the coronavirus.

17:31 The German state of Bavaria will be closing bars, cinemas and swimming pools on Tuesday, according to government sources cited by the DPA news agency. Many other businesses are to follow suit on Wednesday. However, food shops, pharmacies, banks, drugstores, and gas stations are set to stay open.

17:19 Italian officials say 368 people have died in the previous 24 hours, the biggest day-to-day jump since the outbreak reached the country.

17:01 French luxury giant LVMH, known for its flagship brand Louis Vuitton, said they would be making hydroalcoholic gel to help with the hand sanitizer shortages caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

"LVMH will use the production lines of its perfume and cosmetic brands ... to produce large quantities of hydroalcoholic gels from Monday," LVMH said in a statement quoted by the Reuters news agency.

"These gels will be delivered free of charge to the health authorities," LVMH added.

16:56 Italy will receive another 140 medicinal ventilators and 5 million face masks from China, Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio said on Sunday. The latest shipment comes after China delivered some 30 tons of medical equipment, including masks and respirators, on Thursday.

16:39 Germany is set to close its border with Denmark on Monday, the premier of the German state of Schleswig-Holstein, Daniel Günther, told the DPA news agency.

The German government has yet to comment on multiple reports that borders with France, Austria, and Switzerland would also be blocked starting Monday morning.

16:25 The US-based Johns Hopkins University has provided an interactive map for all those interested in live data on the coronavirus pandemic.

If you are unable to view the map, you can also access it on the Johns Hopkins University website.

16:20 The EU has announced controls on exporting masks and other protective medical equipment.

Such goods can now "only be exported to non-EU countries with the explicit authorization of the EU governments," said the head of the EU Commission Ursula von der Leyen.

16:18 Another 14 Britons have died of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, bringing the death toll to 35, UK health authorities said on Sunday. The country now has 1,372 diagnosed coronavirus patients.

16:13 Germany's flagship airline Lufthansa has set up charter flights to transport German holidaymakers and cruise ship passengers back home. Most of the German nationals would be flown from the Canary and Caribbean Islands.

16:06 The northern German state of Schleswig-Holstein has decided to ban tourists from the islands in the North Sea and the Baltic Sea starting on Monday morning, according to German media. The measures are being taken to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

15:58 Following reports that US President Donald Trump was trying to entice Germany's CureVac to create a vaccine only for the US, the head of CureVac's biggest investor told the Mannheimer Morgen newspaper such a deal was out of the question.

15:29 All schools in the Netherlands will close in order to curb the transmission of the coronavirus, according to Dutch public broadcaster NOS.

15:16 New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said the US was playing a "huge game of catch-up" and urged the Trump administration to take control of supply chain of medical products.

"If the federal government doesn't realize this is the equivalent of a war already, there's no way that the states and localities can make all the adjustments we need to," he told CNN.

15:14 Several popular sex clubs in Amsterdam were closed on Sunday as the country faces the coronavirus outbreak, according to the local Het Parool newspaper.

15:05 Tunisia has asked its citizens to donate to fighting the coronavirus outbreak in that country. The North African country has 18 confirmed coronavirus cases.

14:58 Residents of Austria should only make social contact "with the people with whom they live," said the country's chancellor, Sebastian Kurz.

"Austrians are being summoned to isolate themselves," he said in the statement. People who urgently need to go outside "may do so, but only alone or with people living in the same apartment," Kurz clarified in a separate statement to the APA news agency.

14:33 In Spain, the number of people infected with the novel coronavirus has grown by a third in the last 24 hours and is now at 7,753, authorities said on Sunday. Over 100 people have died during the previous day, with the death toll now at 288.

14:15 Germany's borders to Austria, Switzerland, and France will be closed starting Monday morning in a bid to stem the spread of the coronavirus, according to the Spiegel magazine and the mass-circulation Bild newspaper. However, German authorities will keep the crossing open for commuters as well as the delivery of goods.

There was no immediate information on the possible closure of other border crossings, including those towards Poland, Denmark, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic.

< snip >

13:23 Police in Greece have arrested 96 people for breaking coronavirus lockdown terms since Thursday. Bars and restaurants have been closed and Greece has started closing beach resorts. All tourism accomodation is to be closed until April 30.

13:13 Austria has begun enforcing a nationwide curfew on Sunday, according to the APA news agency, with police patrols deployed. Previously, Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said that gatherings of five or more people would be banned. Starting Monday, violators would face a fine of up to €2,000 ($2,220).

On December 31, 2019, China notifies the World Health Organization of a string of respiratory infections in the city of Wuhan, home to some 11 million people. The root virus is unknown and disease experts around the world begin working to identify it. The strain is traced to a seafood market in the city, which is quickly shut down. Some 40 people are initially reported to be infected.

13:02 Germany rail operator Deutsche Bahn (DB) is cutting down on its regional train services as a result of the drop in commuters due to coronavirus, according to a DB spokeswoman. The official said tickets would also no longer be checked on regional trains to protect employees and passengers.

12:54 British food retailers have written an open letter asking customers to stop panic-buying.

"We understand your concerns but buying more than is needed can sometimes mean that others will be left without. There is enough for everyone if we all work together," the letter, signed by Tesco, Sainsbury's, Aldi, Lidl and others, said. Social media users over the past week have been uploading pictures of empty supermarket shelves, with toilet rolls, pasta and canned food especially in demand.

12:37 Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his government plans to use anti-terrorism tracking technology to locate people who have been in contact with those infected by the coronavirus.

"We will very soon begin using technology ... digital means that we have been using in order to fight terrorism," Netanyahu said, describing the virus as an "invisible enemy that must be located."

Avner Pinchuk, a privacy expert with the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, told Reuters that these cyber capabilities could include real-time tracking of patients' cellphones to identify quarantine breaches, as well as scanning metadata to find out where they had been and who they had been with.

"I am troubled by this announcement. I understand that we are in unique circumstances, but this seems potentially like overreach," Pinchuk said. "Much will depend on how intrusive the new measures are."

Netanyahu said he had requested approval from the Justice Ministry, as such measures could violate citizens' privacy.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32012 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Labor and delivery units are going to be a madhouse in 9 months.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I don't think this has been up yet.

https://flowingdata.com/

Here is a very interesting simulation tool.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...ld/corona-simulator/

Also good:

https://ourworldindata.org/

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

To be fair, most healthy people can go several weeks without eating anything without dying of starvation.

To be fair, most healthy people with COVID-19 can go on forever without dying from COVID-19.

Posts: 11617 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And, either way, we can always cook and eat the rioters.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Labor and delivery units are going to be a madhouse in 9 months.

Well, my wife’s now newly pregnant again. Here’s to the Corona Babies.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
CDC is now saying the COVID-19 pandemic will overlap with spring tick season, so we are now at risk for getting Corona with Lyme.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32012 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Here’s to the Corona Babies.

Coronnials.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17159 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Day care centers will be next. I don't know how parents that depend on them will solve that problem. A few may find a sitter but not most.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5718 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Illinois pretty much just shut it all down...

Pritzker closes bars, restaurants across Illinois

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post