SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I hope it's not too much of a thread drift, but it doesn't really require its own thread: those in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, how are the public K-12 schools going to make up the weeks lost? Are they tacking the extra weeks onto the end of the year? We had planned to go to Cedar Point before Memorial Day, but our kids' school is tacking an extra week on at the end. Normally, the crowds are light because the schools there are still in session.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
There is a lot of useful data in the JHU data at

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/op...40299423467b48e9ecf6

I am going to start plotting the data for selected states

The data is for 4 types:
Confirmed cases
Deaths
Recovered
Existing

It looks like "confirmed" means the total number ever confirmed. So that number will always rise and never decrease

After a person is confirmed, then 3 things can happen: death, recover, still be sick (existing)

so #confirmed = #deaths + #recovered + #existing

What is expected is that the #existing will rise for a number of weeks (months ?), peak, and then start to decline.

A fraction of the "existing" will need hospital care. Hopefully that fraction is small.

If the "existing" can be held down, hospitals will have enough capacity to handle those that need care.

Plotting the data over time will show how this plays out.

selected states:

A simple data set that will eventually be exactly what is used in the final analysis - good setup. It also demonstrates the false equivalence of using early and incomplete data for universal projections. The highest CFR is over 6% - mostly from a single site consisting of highly vulnerable patients: excluding that site, the CFR for the general population (all over age 70 except for one) was around 2%. The state with second highest number of confirmed cases had a CFR of 0% (as of now 0.2% with one 82 y/o death). Four of the states listed - almost 50% - have a CFR of 0%. It's early.

The perils of small sample sizes and population estimates of questionable accuracy.

The sample sizes are actually even smaller than they seem. One of the articles from Italy said that even among the highest-risk groups, non-survivors were surviving a week or two in the hospital (i.e., the people who die are taking a week or two to die).

That means, for example, that someone who got sick five days ago and got tested two days ago but will end up dying is reflected in the current number of confirmed cases, but probably hasn't died yet. (Of course, someone who got sick five days ago and isn't going to die hasn't died yet, either.)

There's still a lot of uncertainty in the data on coronavirus in the US and will be for a while.

Why do you keep talking about Italy? The average Italian is 45.4 years old. The Average American is 38.2 years old. That is a HUGE difference. Of course their death rate is going to be higher. And it’s probably higher for pneumonia, regular flu and a bunch of other health problems.

Trying to compare their death rate to ‘possibly’ what could happen here is panic.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I hope it's not too much of a thread drift, but it doesn't really require its own thread: those in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, how are the public K-12 schools going to make up the weeks lost? Are they tacking the extra weeks onto the end of the year? We had planned to go to Cedar Point before Memorial Day, but our kids' school is tacking an extra week on at the end. Normally, the crowds are light because the schools there are still in session.

I don't know about those states, but yesterday CT decided to legally allow the school year to be shortened.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16634 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I forgot to mention, went to Costco yesterday to get my new glasses...

No toilet paper or paper towels. One of the associates said they had ten pallets in the morning, employees were passing out one pack to each member, and they were sold out in 15 minutes.

There was a full pallet of Clorox bleach. Plenty of meat and canned goods.
I did my regular shopping and added ONE case of bleach for good measure.

So in 2020, when the millennials are wetting their feet as preppers for a virus outbreak, they buy all the TP, but ignore the food and the bleach. Rocket Surgeons Roll Eyes

I stopped in at Food Lion everyone had carts full of water and TP. I guess there is some recipes out there for making TP soup or something?

No meat or chicken left in the store but I didn't actually see anyone buying meat.

I saw one Hispanic fellow in line next to mine he had three bags of flour and some other food items, no TP. I said you get it. He replied yeah these people are nuts, this can feed my family for a long time and has a long shelf life if we don't have to live off it. The rest of his cart was canned goods and beans, stuff his family always uses.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I don't know about those states, but yesterday CT decided to legally allow the school year to be shortened.

Ha, I hadn't thought about that possibility. We aren't changing our reservations just yet, becaise we have no idea if the Florida Department of Education will add another week or more to spring break. Collier County schools just came off spring break and announced they would be back in school on Monday despite the FDOE's mandate. I was impressed that they were taking a stand, but then they caved.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The data is for 4 types:
Confirmed cases
Deaths
Recovered
Existing

It looks like "confirmed" means the total number ever confirmed. So that number will always rise and never decrease

After a person is confirmed, then 3 things can happen: death, recover, still be sick (existing)

What is expected is that the #existing will rise for a number of weeks (months ?), peak, and then start to decline.

A fraction of the "existing" will need hospital care. Hopefully that fraction is small.

If the "existing" can be held down, hospitals will have enough capacity to handle those that need care.

selected states:

A simple data set that will eventually be exactly what is used in the final analysis - good setup. It also demonstrates the false equivalence of using early and incomplete data for universal projections. The highest CFR is over 6% - mostly from a single site consisting of highly vulnerable patients: excluding that site, the CFR for the general population (all over age 70 except for one) was around 2%. The state with second highest number of confirmed cases had a CFR of 0% (as of now 0.2% with one 82 y/o death). Four of the states listed - almost 50% - have a CFR of 0%. It's early.

The perils of small sample sizes and population estimates of questionable accuracy.

The sample sizes are actually even smaller than they seem. One of the articles from Italy said that even among the highest-risk groups, non-survivors were surviving a week or two in the hospital (i.e., the people who die are taking a week or two to die).

That means, for example, that someone who got sick five days ago and got tested two days ago but will end up dying is reflected in the current number of confirmed cases, but probably hasn't died yet. (Of course, someone who got sick five days ago and isn't going to die hasn't died yet, either.)

There's still a lot of uncertainty in the data on coronavirus in the US and will be for a while.

Why do you keep talking about Italy? The average Italian is 45.4 years old. The Average American is 38.2 years old. That is a HUGE difference. Of course their death rate is going to be higher. And it’s probably higher for pneumonia, regular flu and a bunch of other health problems.

Trying to compare their death rate to ‘possibly’ what could happen here is panic.

Italy has roughly 60 million people. Their largest age bracket is 45 to 55. They may have an older average age, due more to low birth rates than a huge number of older citizens, but we have 70 plus million baby boomers. That is more people 55 and older in the US than the entire population of Italy. It could be that our death rate ends up higher both by number and percentages than Italy based on the number of Americans in this vulnerable age bracket.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We got my dad to bring us some supplies. Their grocery stores haven't been picked clear yet.

Huge bag of flour, yeast, a few loaves of bread, eggs & milk.

Our closest store (HEB) has altered their hours to 8-8 instead of 6-11, I'm assuming to give time to restock.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15982 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Just curious - I got a 2% death rate when I did the simple math on this chart a few posts above... and there are no extenuating factors such as age, health, sex to qualify these numbers.. I know it’s all very fluid, but it’s certainly necessary to take it with a grain of salt.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The data is for 4 types:
Confirmed cases
Deaths
Recovered
Existing

selected states:

Read my post again. I didn't compare death rates to Italy. The ONLY information I used from Italy is that their very old, high-risk patients that die are taking a week or two to die.

I didn't even make an argument about whether I think the rates in the quoted data are high or low, just that there isn't enough data to form a solid conclusion yet.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
They may have an older average age, due more to low birth rates than a huge number of older citizens...

Wouldn't a higher population of old people lead to lower birth rates? My county in Florida is the oldest in the country by population. 34% are over 65 and 55% are over 50. We also have one of the lowest birth rates of any county in the country. In fact, all 3 of my children were born in a different county due to lack of prenatal care and ObGyns here.

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Here's a home remedy....FWIW. Roll Eyes Hopefully the stores aren't sold out of cow urine!

https://www.foxnews.com/world/...ow-urine-coronavirus

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:

Italy has roughly 60 million people. Their largest age bracket is 45 to 55. They may have an older average age, due more to low birth rates than a huge number of older citizens, but we have 70 plus million baby boomers. That is more people 55 and older in the US than the entire population of Italy. It could be that our death rate ends up higher both by number and percentages than Italy based on the number of Americans in this vulnerable age bracket.

22 percent of Italians are 65 or older and their healthcare system is overloaded and has been almost since the Wuhan flu arrived. Comparing younger baby boomers in this country where we have a much better healthcare system is a red herring, especially when you see the death rates from Wuhan flu over the ages of 70. Compare that to the 50-59 age group.

———————————————

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Comparing younger baby boomers in this country where we have a much better healthcare system is a red herring, especially when you see the death rates from Wuhan flu over the ages of 70. Compare that to the 50-59 age group.

Conversely: We have one of the unhealthiest populations on the planet, whereas Italy rates as one of the healthiest. In fact: For a while, Italy was rated as the healthiest country in the world.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
This thread is literally starting to become
some variation of the same post over and over again.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I'm curious.... What started the TP stampede? I don't recall seeing any discussions about long term quarantine, what you'll need, ect. Suddenly all the TP was gone.

Who bought it all THAT fast? Why didn't they think food was more important? I've talked to a lot of people and none of them bought any until it was already mostly gone. Things aren't making sense here.
The TP without food thing was very odd to me too. I saw one psychologist comment that even though it was a gesture of dubious merit it gave people some sense of purpose and control which made them feel better.

The run on the food portion of grocery stores started here Thursday. Wednesday was normal but Thursday schools and events started mass canceling announcements so people hit the grocery stores like a Cat 5 hurricane was bearing down on Houston. The grocery store at the entrance to my neighborhood was stripped so bare that it even ran out of brussel sprouts. In the meat aisle, every inexpensive cut of meat was gone and only prime and wagyu grades left.

HEB, a prominent Texas grocery store chain, has been hit so hard they've taken the step of reducing the hours they are open (from 6AM-midnight to 8AM-8PM) so that they have enough time to try to keep up with restocking the stores.

https://www.khou.com/article/n...c4-8b99-4d969e574a00

PUBLIX supermarkets are closing all of their stores at 8PM now also. They cited so their employees could do additional cleaning each night as the reason.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

22 percent of Italians are 65 or older and their healthcare system is overloaded and has been almost since the Wuhan flu arrived. Comparing younger baby boomers in this country where we have a much better healthcare system is a red herring, especially when you see the death rates from Wuhan flu over the ages of 70. Compare that to the 50-59 age group.

That 22% is roughly 13 million people over 65. The US has almost 16% which is roughly 49 million people over 65. As for Italy's healthcare, they rank 3rd in the world in number of critical care beds per capita behind only Germany and the US. To assume our superior healthcare capacity is enough to treat 4 times the vulnerbale population is a stretch.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That 22% is roughly 13 million people over 65. The US has almost 16% which is roughly 49 million people over 65. As for Italy's healthcare, they rank 3rd in the world in number of critical care beds per capita behind only Germany and the US. To assume our superior healthcare capacity is enough to treat 4 times the vulnerbale population is a stretch.

You make the false assumption that 4 times the vulnerable population will need treatment. Not to mention we have almost 3 times the critical care beds per 100,000 people.

But, panic.

———————————————

SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Comparing younger baby boomers in this country where we have a much better healthcare system is a red herring, especially when you see the death rates from Wuhan flu over the ages of 70. Compare that to the 50-59 age group.

Conversely: We have one of the unhealthiest populations on the planet, whereas Italy rates as one of the healthiest. In fact: For a while, Italy was rated as the healthiest country in the world.

What I find interesting is that per the sites which break cases down into those considered "serious/critical" (I've gone to Worldometers since the Johns Hopkins map became increasingly laggy), that category is below one percent in the US and Germany - literally just a handful of cases, unlike anywhere else with a four-digit total case count. This is despite the current CFRs being quite different at 2.0 vs. 0.2 percent. I noted earlier that we were lucky here in the initial wave being mostly younger, healthy folks. The US would probably look the same if the virus hadn't hit some nursing homes.

Posts: 2452 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You make the false assumption that 4 times the vulnerable population will need treatment. Not to mention we have almost 3 times the critical care beds per 100,000 people.

But, panic.
TXJIM, I also saw the post on pg 121 showing Italian critical care bed figure was #3. However, I also saw a stat in an American Thinker article that showed their socialized medicine had underinvested and were bottom tier in Europe:
quote:
Italy lags other large European countries in provision of acute-care hospital beds, furnishing 2.62 of them per 1,000 residents as of 2016, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. In Germany it’s 6.06 and in France and the Netherlands it’s 3.15 and 3 respectively. That year, Italy devoted around $913 per capita to inpatient acute and rehabilitative care, compared with $1,338 in France, $1,506 in Germany, and $1,732 in the U.S.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23662 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

What I find interesting is that per the sites which break cases down into those considered "serious/critical" (I've gone to Worldometers since the Johns Hopkins map became increasingly laggy), that category is below one percent in the US and Germany - literally just a handful of cases, unlike anywhere else with a four-digit total case count. This is despite the current CFRs being quite different at 2.0 vs. 0.2 percent. I noted earlier that we were lucky here in the initial wave being mostly younger, healthy folks. The US would probably look the same if the virus hadn't hit some nursing homes.

I think your assessment is spot on and I agree 100%. I think we also have some other things going for us, primarily how spread apart we are geographically outside of our major cities. I also wonder, and this is pure speculation, whether this virus or a slightly mutated version of it isn’t quite as new as everyone thought and perhaps there is some degree of herd immunity? Perhaps this virus has also mutated somewhat to be less virulent? I do think that if the first major target of Covid-19 wasn’t a nursing home that our death numbers would be considerably lower and the degree of panic would also be less.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5616 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post