SIGforum
When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9320007564

January 21, 2020, 06:17 AM
Pipe Smoker
When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Will be here soon, I fear.

“An Australian man with symptoms of the deadly coronavirus has been put into isolation after returning home from a trip to China.
……
He had been visiting family in China's Wuhan province, which is the epicentre of the coronavirus, the Courier Mail reported.
……
The disease has an incubation period of about a week, and there is currently no vaccine…”

https://mol.im/a/7910081

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers
January 21, 2020, 06:26 AM
Dakor
What do you mean get here? Coronavirus is a common virus thoughout the world. A few schools are temporarily closed each year due to their outbreak here in the U.S. and susceptibility is a function of the strain type vs. one's immune system memory/strength.
It's nothing new.
January 21, 2020, 06:30 AM
Balzé Halzé
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
What do you mean get here? Coronavirus is a common virus thoughout the world. A few schools are closed each year due to their outbreak here in the U.S. and susceptibility is a function of the strain type vs. one's immune system memory/strength.
It's nothing new.

I guess you should tell the media that.

Seriously, I saw a headline that said 4 people have died in China. Four.

How many people live there again?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
January 21, 2020, 06:35 AM
Dakor
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
What do you mean get here? Coronavirus is a common virus thoughout the world. A few schools are closed each year due to their outbreak here in the U.S. and susceptibility is a function of the strain type vs. one's immune system memory/strength.
It's nothing new.

I guess you should tell the media that.

Yeah, I long ago stopped listening to the lame stream media. They're atrocious when it comes to politics, but they've been abysmal my entire life when it comes to science.
January 21, 2020, 07:15 AM
Wino
I died from SARS several years ago so I no longer need to worry.
January 21, 2020, 07:40 AM
trapper189
Every minute, 20 people in China will die. In fact, people die in China 4 times faster than they bite the dust in the song by Queen, Another One Bites the Dust. Is it panic time?
January 21, 2020, 08:29 AM
snidera
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
I died from SARS several years ago so I no longer need to worry.

Don't tempt fate, you'll get the 'bola.
January 21, 2020, 08:59 AM
Georgeair
Where is the 'bola thread? We should just fold this in there!

They news folks also emphasized how ~800 died of SARS partly due to the delays in taking action to contain and alert folks. 800!!!

I'm not saying I want to be on of those 800. I'm just saying that a death rate of 1.0310607036989E-5% hardly qualifies as a pandemic.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

January 21, 2020, 09:57 AM
YooperSigs
And they love to use the term "pandemic". Its not 1918!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
January 21, 2020, 10:37 AM
BigNC
I don't think I (nor do I think the op is) am a sheeple but I wondered if "we" here would be talking about it. Thanks for calming me.

I do worry, will you guys ACTUALLY TELL US when we SHOULD panic? Like, I obviously can't be trusted so how will I know!?!?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
January 21, 2020, 10:48 AM
Fenris
I'll have mine with a wedge of lime please.
Oh...
And a couple fish tacos.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
January 21, 2020, 10:54 AM
Keystoner
Tomorrow

Year V
January 21, 2020, 11:00 AM
braillediver
Chinese New Year is this week. Greatest human migration on the planet.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
January 21, 2020, 11:20 AM
chellim1
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I'll have mine with a wedge of lime please.
Oh...
And a couple fish tacos.

This thing sounds like a bad hangover.
Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
January 21, 2020, 11:28 AM
sigmonkey
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:...
I do worry, will you guys ACTUALLY TELL US when we SHOULD panic? Like, I obviously can't be trusted so how will I know!?!?

Given the wealth of collective knowledge known by all the folks from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor, Rich Man, Poor Man,
Beggar Man, Thief, Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief.

If it were a problem, I believe the information and the "filters" which SIGforum members would apply, we would get a better consensus than any journal, media or other source, as the former are mostly altruistic and the latter mostly want your attention and anything they can get from you.

So, yeah. I have a lot of stock invested in the "SIGforum Infoknowledgy" that is publicly traded.

(and 6 weekd later...)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigmonkey,

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
January 21, 2020, 12:34 PM
Doc H.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"
January 21, 2020, 12:37 PM
sigmonkey
I heard, one of the first symptoms is not being able to see images posted on the interwebz...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
January 21, 2020, 01:08 PM
craigcpa
Now

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
January 21, 2020, 06:27 PM
Ozarkwoods
Today, a man from Washington state was diagnosed with it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
January 21, 2020, 07:07 PM
shovelhead
Just heard that on the news driving from work.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)