SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PHPaul and the Tractorheads: I have a small Deere question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PHPaul and the Tractorheads: I have a small Deere question. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Maybe it's a small question about a Deere, maybe it's a question about a small Deere... you decide. Big Grin

Either way, my trusty old (1997, I think) John Deere LX176 has been mighty stubborn for the last two weeks -- the PTO that drives the mowing deck won't engage. Much.

Last week I figured Old John was just messing with me, thumbing its nose at me while it played the "maybe I will, maybe I won't" game as I tried to engage the deck. After a few runs of the pull-push-fuss cycle, the PTO engaged and I was able to cut the grass. Finished the job, tidied up, and put Old John away for the week.

Today I figured I'd hop into the mowing and get ahead of the weekend. Then I found the gas cans were empty. So after refilling those and realizing it'd be dark before I got finished mowing, I figured I'd hit the back yard first -- it looks worse than the front. No big deal.

No big deal, that is, until the PTO once again decided not to engage. Old John's battery is about shot and I've been using a Noco box to start the engine lately. Started right up, headed for the yard, and pulled the PTO knob. Pffft. I got nothing. No amount of pull-push-fuss would get the deck started. A quick look at the wiring shows no broken wires, loose connectors, or dangling oddities. Old John just straight-up wouldn't start the blades.

So I cruised right on back to the garage, put my things away, and headed for the shower. "Why won't this darned thing start the deck," I wondered.

It hit me a few minutes later -- could the dead battery be a contributor to the PTO not taking off? Does that circuit require a decent battery in order to run? Perhaps the failing battery has -- until this week -- been just strong enough to work that circuit, and today was just below the make-it-run threshold?

Or is it a whole 'nother problem? Nothing in the manuals I have addresses PTO not starting, so I figured I'd ask the experts here. Whatcha know, guys and gals?

Thank you.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nope, not a battery issue as far as I have experienced with my LX176. I've boosted mine when it was completely dead. Mowed fine as long as it was running.

Have you tried bypassing the push-pull switch? I don't think there are any real safety switches other than the seat. Maybe tied into the brake pedal switch for starting.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Oz, I'm glad to hear it's not battery-dependent. I'd like to finish this season without having to buy a battery.

I haven't tried bypassing it yet -- I haven't had enough time to tear into it yet. How many wires go to the switch? I'm guessing just two, but from what I can see so far (yeah, the hood is completely off now) there's quite a bundle of wires headed that direction. I'll dive into that next.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could be the electric clutch has failed. A new one should do the trick. I don't know how much they are for a Deere, but for an Ingersoll they run about $250. It shouldn't be a difficult job to replace it and no special tools required. Most are held on by three or four bolts and the electric plug. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before working on it.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First stop is testing the switch. most likely culprit. Second stop see if you actually have any voltage when running. Third stop is a complete wiring assessment including is there voltage at the clutch. Fourth stop is a new clutch if the wiring is intact. But that's pretty rare.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Have you used the parking brake lately? I think I mine caused a similar problem many years ago when something got stuck. Hard to remember.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
As Oz said, check the parking brake safety switch. Mine was getting stuck and not allowing the mower to engage. When you press the parking brake to start, there is a microswitch under there that releases when you let off the brake to start going. If the button does not pop back up, it will driver but the mower will not come on, it thinks the parking brake is still engaged. I replaced mine and everything started working normally.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jeff. I'll look for that switch. I do use the parking brake -- I have to engage it in order to start the engine, as I'm standing beside the mower when using the Noco box to start it.

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Is there a fuse in the circuit? Where would I find it?

God bless America.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Your PTO coil may need adjusting or may be bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26476...7Ctkp%3ABFBMvqn58udg

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Everyone else has covered it thoroughly.

Good Luck, and let us know what you find.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Interestingly enough, I have a similar issue with my Cub Cadet.

Dying battery, jump started but no PTO engagement.

My issue the battery 100%. Determined this by leaving the jumper cables connected and engaging the PTO (not easy to do with the seat over the battery!), had no issues that way. Took the cables back off and tried it again, no luck. Could even see the headlights dim when trying to use the PTO.

My guess is the battery is pulling too much power from the voltage regulator, and not leaving enough to power the magnet for the PTO.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I have a 20+ year old JD LT155.

My battery was kaput but jump starting allowed it to run. That is until I let go of the brake and engaged the blades...sputter...sputter...engine would die.

So I replaced the battery with a Walmart battery and it ran fine until the darn drive belt broke Red Face

It's always something.

My suggestion is to see if you can borrow someones battery to see if it fixes the problem, or, just get one anyway since yours is dead.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well, gents, it turns out it's the battery.

I had a rebate card sitting on the counter, associated with the local auto parts store, so I pulled the old battery, grabbed the card, and headed for the parts store. With the new battery, the engine starts right up and the PTO works again. It almost seemed as if the mower ran more smoothly in general today.

Heck, the old battery had a "3/14" sticker on it. Far overdue, I suppose. Big Grin

Thanks, all, for your input.

God bless America.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Late to the party I see, but my JD GT262 of similar vintage to your tractor definitely needs battery power to activate the PTO. I've been down the same road as you, and have learned through experience to just keep good batteries in it...makes life much easier.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it was a simple fix.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Well, gents, it turns out it's the battery.

I had a rebate card sitting on the counter, associated with the local auto parts store, so I pulled the old battery, grabbed the card, and headed for the parts store. With the new battery, the engine starts right up and the PTO works again. It almost seemed as if the mower ran more smoothly in general today.

Heck, the old battery had a "3/14" sticker on it. Far overdue, I suppose. Big Grin

Thanks, all, for your input.

That’s surprising but at least you figured it out. Maybe it differs being completely dead vs something internally bad inside the battery.

I keep looking at new mowers and my 29 year old JD just keeps saying not today!

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

I keep looking at new mowers and my 29 year old JD just keeps saying not today!

Indeed. My 1995 LX178 just keeps going and I can throw a LOT of parts at it for the price of an equivalent new one!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Indeed. My 1995 LX178 just keeps going and I can throw a LOT of parts at it for the price of an equivalent new one!

That's it exactly. About six or seven years ago the original 14 HP Kawasaki engine on this one "went pop." (Literally! There were pieces all over the yard.) I couldn't get a replacement Kaw, so I put a similar 17 HP Briggs on it. The cost of paying a neighbor kid to mow for me the rest of that summer, plus the cost of the new engine and now a battery, is WAY less than the cost of a new mower. I'll keep on fixing it 'til it's unfixable.

The hood assembly has broken beyond repair. I'm debating whether to a) get some sheet metal and fabricate a new one, or b) say "screw it" and just run without (as I've done for the last three weeks). Something tells me the second option is going to win. New ones -- even aftermarket -- are stupid expensive.

God bless America.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Mine shattered beyond repair a few years ago. I just mow without it. Improves visibility and cooling!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,